TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

View Poll Results: Which ring do you prefer and is it weird to get him a ring?
I prefer the 1st ring. 20 80.00%
I prefer the 2nd ring. 3 12.00%
I don't like any of them. 0 0%
I think it is weird to buy your boyfriend a ring. 2 8.00%
I don't think it is weird to buy your boyfriend a ring. 17 68.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 1st 2010, 09:15 AM

My boyfriend is turning 18 in June and I have been playing his birthday presents for a while.
We wear talking about gifts and he said he would quite like a ring, he has a necklace I got him that he always wears and he always wears his watch and a band sweatband (he has about 10). So a ring is the only other thing he could wear.

I had been looking at rings beforehand but I didn't know if it was weird to get him a ring and whether or not he would wear it. I also didn't know if he would see it as like an engagement thing and freak out. Now he has said he wants one then I feel a bit better about it.

His necklace broke last week which upset him a bit but I don't want to get him a new necklace. He still has the chain so he could put the ring on the chain for when he can't wear it, like in school where jewellery isn't allowed, he can hide the necklace under his shirt.

I have narrowed it down to these 2 rings.

This first one is my favourite as I can get it engraved on the inside. It is also the most reasonable price for my budget.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C14417001.htm

This second one would suit my boyfriend more but I need to look at it to see what it is made of because it looks quite cheap and plastic. I have to see it in real life and see how it looks first considering it is the most expensive.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C14417001.htm

My boyfriend is into heavy metal music, plays guitar and is a proper geek really.
I want to get him a ring he can wear for years even when he is old, he has been looking at rings with skulls and stuff on them but I don't want to get him one like that as he probably won't wear it once he is older. I think the 2nd ring is more of a compromise between the two as it is black and suits his personal style more.
This ring is going to be something he can wear all the time and when I go away too uni he has something to remind him of me when I am not there

For the other part of his present I am getting him a Marshall MS 4 mini amp which is £30. He doesn't know which ring I am getting him but he knows I might be getting him a ring because I got his ring size measured in a jewellery shop
My overall budget is about £60 so the most expensive ring here will leave me with nothing left, if I get the other ring I can get him something small to go with these.

So which of these rings do you prefer? I am completely torn between them.
Also is it weird to get him a ring? Some people I have told are assuming engagement straight away and it is putting me off buying it. We will have been together for over 2 and a half years and it will be 3 years in July so everyone is hinting at marriage because it is a long relationship for people our age.

Last edited by Melody Pond; April 1st 2010 at 09:26 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Magic. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Poppy

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 1st 2010, 10:05 AM

I like the first one I also don't think it's weird to buy him a ring, but that vote doesn't seem to have registered up there ^ ...

You can't move mountains by whispering at them.

Take a look at my art here:
http://attemptedart.tumblr.com/

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 1st 2010, 10:29 AM

I prefer the first ring and I don't think that it's weird to buy your boyfriend a ring if you've been with him for a long time.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 1st 2010, 11:07 AM

I think the first ring is better, the second one looks kinda tacky ¬.¬
And it's not weird to buy your boyfriend a ring, though I hope that my girlfriend never buys me a ring x.x

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 1st 2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.1415926535897 View Post

And it's not weird to buy your boyfriend a ring, though I hope that my girlfriend never buys me a ring x.x
Just wondering here. If you don't think it is weird then why wouldn't you want her to get you one? Is it just that you don't like rings in general or wouldn't wear it? or do you associate it with marriage and engagement?

I am just trying to get how boys think about this type of thing, I don't want him to get scared away thinking it is a hint at marriage or anything. He did say he would like a ring but I am still a little unsure on how it will look.
We have discussed marriage before and we have both agreed we would like to get married someday probably after Uni if we are still together but I don't want it to seem like I am pressuring him to propose or anything.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 1st 2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz Rach View Post

Just wondering here. If you don't think it is weird then why wouldn't you want her to get you one? Is it just that you don't like rings in general or wouldn't wear it? or do you associate it with marriage and engagement?

I am just trying to get how boys think about this type of thing, I don't want him to get scared away thinking it is a hint at marriage or anything. He did say he would like a ring but I am still a little unsure on how it will look.
We have discussed marriage before and we have both agreed we would like to get married someday probably after Uni if we are still together but I don't want it to seem like I am pressuring him to propose or anything.
Just because I'm not the jewelery type, I get annoyed because it gets in the way, same with watches. In the end though you know him and know what he likes, so as long he likes it it doesn't matter whether people think it's weird or not (y)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 2nd 2010, 09:44 AM

I voted for the 1st ring and i don't think it's weird to get him a ring. As you said, you could get it engraved and it does look more expensive (not that that should really matter..) but the other one looks a bit plasticky and cheap imo.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 2nd 2010, 09:55 AM

I like the first ring also and I don't think it's weird to buy him one.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#9 (permalink)) Old
rita123 Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 3rd 2010, 08:46 AM

i like the first one,my boy friend have one like that

(#10 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 3rd 2010, 06:01 PM

I like the first one. As for if its weird for you to get him a ring, I don't know, I don't know how he would react.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#11 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 3rd 2010, 11:00 PM

I like the first ring. I think it's fine for you to buy him one, especially as you have talked to him about it and he seems fine with it.

PM // VM

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Spellbound Offline
LGRW
I can't get enough

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 3rd 2010, 11:12 PM

I don't think it is weird at all, I think it's really cool and unique. I picked the first one. I like that one a lot better.

Send a message via MSN to Spellbound  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 3rd 2010, 11:35 PM

I like the first one best too because the second looks kind of cheap. Defintley go and see in real life because that might just be the picture.

I don't think it's a weird thing to do at all, especially as some of the time he will be wearing it as a necklace. I do think it's a bit strange that after a 2 1/2 year relationship at 17/18 people are assuming you're going to get engaged! I'd been with my boyfriend for 3/4 years at 17 (I think?) and no one ever thought anything like that!

I've bought boyfriends rings before and none of them have thought engagement. I think its a nice idea especially with the engraving. What would you get engraved?

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Apollo Offline
LiveStrong™
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Apollo

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 4th 2010, 12:51 AM

I do not think it is weird to buy your boyfriend a ring. I like the first one better.

Always feel free to contact me.
<3 |.YOU ARE LOVED.| <3

.TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY.

You may think the world is better off without you...
The truth:
The world isn't
good enough without you.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 4th 2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
I don't think it's a weird thing to do at all, especially as some of the time he will be wearing it as a necklace. I do think it's a bit strange that after a 2 1/2 year relationship at 17/18 people are assuming you're going to get engaged! I'd been with my boyfriend for 3/4 years at 17 (I think?) and no one ever thought anything like that!

I've bought boyfriends rings before and none of them have thought engagement. I think its a nice idea especially with the engraving. What would you get engraved?
I think it is because most of my friends can't hold down a relationship for more than a few weeks, so they are just being immature about it. Also the 2 friends I have who have been in a relationship for about 3-4 years got engaged after being together a year.

I have now definitely decided on the first ring. I am still going to look at the second one just to see what it is like in real life but my favourite is the first one.

Now I need some ideas on what to get engraved on it. Since it is only a ring it will have to be something small.
I was thinking of just having I love you but I want something more personal so I am thinking of getting the date we got together.

I am now just unsure of what form to write the date in.

02/07/07 - I prefer this one.
2/7/07
2nd July 2007 - I think this one will be too long.

If anyone has any other ideas for engraving then let me know because so far this is the only idea I have had.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 4th 2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:

I think it is because most of my friends can't hold down a relationship for more than a few weeks, so they are just being immature about it. Also the 2 friends I have who have been in a relationship for about 3-4 years got engaged after being together a year.

I have now definitely decided on the first ring. I am still going to look at the second one just to see what it is like in real life but my favourite is the first one.

Now I need some ideas on what to get engraved on it. Since it is only a ring it will have to be something small.
I was thinking of just having I love you but I want something more personal so I am thinking of getting the date we got together.

I am now just unsure of what form to write the date in.

02/07/07 - I prefer this one.
2/7/07
2nd July 2007 - I think this one will be too long.

If anyone has any other ideas for engraving then let me know because so far this is the only idea I have had.
Either go with 02/07/07 or 2/7/07, probably the first reads better but it's essentially the same thing anyways.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 4th 2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post

Either go with 02/07/07 or 2/7/07, probably the first reads better but it's essentially the same thing anyways.
I am favouring 02/07/07 right now because too me it looks more even and balanced out as they are each 2 digits.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 4th 2010, 10:56 AM

Yeah, I also prefer 02/07/07.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#19 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 4th 2010, 02:30 PM

I like 02/07/07 and I think having the date engraved is a really cute idea. As I have said before you are an awesome present buyer!

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 9th 2010, 01:28 PM

I saw both of these is the shop today and I don't like either of them
On the first one you could barely see the stripes and when you did it looked like a scratch or dirt.
The second one looked cheap and plastic like the picture.

So now I am on the hunt for something else to get him.

Last edited by Melody Pond; April 22nd 2010 at 04:26 PM.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
lost_chil Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 9th 2010, 02:06 PM

I absolutly LOVE the first ring! I also don't think it's weird. You know him more then any of us so ya. but I really really like the first one

We May Be Miles Apart. But Your Always Closer To The Moon. And Brighter Than The Stars

PM me anytime! =D
  Send a message via MSN to lost_chil Send a message via Skype™ to lost_chil 
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
sophiemith Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 22nd 2010, 09:59 AM

I prefer the 1st ring, because I think the black color ring do not fit.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: Boyfriend's birthday gift - male and female opinions needed. - April 22nd 2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I saw both of these is the shop today and I don't like either of them
On the first one you could barely see the stripes and when you did it looked like a scratch or dirt.
The second one looked cheap and plastic like the picture.

So now I am on the hunt for something else to get him.
Since I have decided against both rings then this tread isn't really helpful and isn't needed so I am going to close this on request of the OP (me).

Closed Thread