TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Fashion and Style From the hippest new fashions to vintage dress, share your style, clothing, makeup, and hair related advice or concerns here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 15th 2010, 12:35 PM

I'm sure there are plenty of us out there doing lots and lots of shopping

I've started mine with a 6 splurge in a charity shop, lol! Charity shops are defintley the way to go.. on a waterproof (it's only semi-frumpy and I'm going to hazard a guess that in Scotland there will be days it rains so much that I don't care and just want to be dry) and a lonnnnnggg black dress which I'm going to cut the bottom off and re-sew the hem to make into a shorter LBD to go out in.

I am going on a MASSIVE shopping trip to Birmingham on the 3rd September but I won't be able to spend that much money!

I need SO MANY new clothes though, I've lost some weight recently and have dropped a dress size so lots of my jeans are looking a bit big, though my tops all look fine looser.

I don't really have a set kind of style, it's pretty standard. I am trying to develop it a bit further and make myself look more grown up, as looking at my clothes today... well I've had these jeans since I was 16. Enough said. Time to grow up a bit perhaps.

Lets use this thread to discuss our shopping trips

Has anyone else made a list of what they want/need to buy? Mine is quite excessive though it includes various types of pans and bed linen etc

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 15th 2010, 01:07 PM

I am waiting until after Thursday for pots and pans etc. I have picked bedding though, I am going for purple, haven't bought any yet.

I have found a set of cutlery that have purple handles too so I will know they are mine in the shared flat. I have a bunch of money saved from my birthday ready for shopping.

Even if I don't get into Uni I am going to a different college where they don't have uniform so whatever happens I need new clothes.

My wardrobe now is a few pairs of jeans and t shirts with mickey mouse on them and things like that. I have a lot of t shirts from new look and it is pretty much all I wear now. I dress like such a boy sometimes. I want to dress more girly and more grown up but still comfortable and easy to do, I don't want to spend hours getting ready.
I have found out I will get my uniform on the 21st of September so that is one less thing to worry about since I will be wearing that a lot.

I have 1 full outfit so far, it is a big grey sweatshirt dress with Angel written on it in sequins, I got it in the Next sale and I got new leggings and I wear that with my boots (I need new boots though). I love autumn and winter clothes more than summer clothes. I love tights, leggings and boots

I really think I am going to get his http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/women...=women#reviews

I am thinking I might go to Manchester for a shopping trip but mostly likely will stay in Liverpool, at least I know which shops are where and it won't cost as much on the train. Shops are pretty much the same except for Manchester has a few more expensive shops but I am sticking to a budget so it is probably best to avoid them.

Last edited by Melody Pond; August 15th 2010 at 01:16 PM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 15th 2010, 01:13 PM

I love sweatshirt dresses! They're so warm! Moving to Scotland means I need lots of new clothes, hmm I should invest in some sweatshirt dresses perhaps.

Where did you find the purple cutlery? I bought purple bed linen a few weeks ago that I found discounted in a shop. I was going to have to buy more because my bed is a double whereas at Uni it will be a single..

However I'm now thinking about taking my double duvet because it would be a lot more snuggly and more warmth with the extra cover on the bed.. what do you think?

I've started buying this stuff because whatever happens I'll be going to Uni this year, even if it's a place through clearing. If I don't meet my AAB offer I won't ever get to medicine, so yeah. Doubt I'll get to start buying stuff properly though until next week because this week is supppperrr busy.

I don't know what kind of plates to buy! Also I'm thinking of buying 3 of everything? Which gives me one to be washed whilst two clean, and could have friends round and stuff. And then 2 sets of towels + a swimming/gym towel. I never realised how expensive this all was until I started making lists!

And I'm going to need about 10 going out outfits for freshers week! I don't think you can really re-wear dresses that quickly when you're going out with the same people, I'm arriving on Friday and freshers lasts to the following Sunday. That is actually 10 days.. And then fancy dress outfits! Ah must work more!

It's fine to have one.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 15th 2010, 01:25 PM

Here: http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/homeware/kitchen/8/5

The only problem with those is it is a 32 pack, 8 of each. If I got those I think I would keep 4 of each in a box as spares in case some get lost or broken as I doubt I would need 8 of each thing.
They have white plates that have a purple border that go with them.

I think I am going to get these, http://www.next.co.uk/shopping/homeware/kitchen/16/3
Polka dot plates and bowls with polka dot cutlery, I think people will know they are mine
That plate set has 4 of each so I would have spares in case anything broke, I have a load of mugs for tea already so thats fine.

I am getting towels the same colours as my bed sheets so I can wash them together in 1 machine and save money because they are coin machines.

I am planning on joining the Uni Gym but I don't even have any gym clothes, all I have is jeans so that is another thing I will need.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 15th 2010, 02:14 PM

I am starting college in September and there is no uniform so I need lots of new clothes My mum is taking me shopping on Friday! I need a new pair of jeans, another pair of comfy trackies, lots of tshirts and jumpers and cardigans and hoodies and then I'm sorted. I feel very sorry for my mums credit cards

PM // VM

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 15th 2010, 04:18 PM

i need suits for sixth form! arrgghh. i think i'm going to go to M&S and H&M. i'm not spending loads of money on suits that i'm only going to be wearing for school but at the same time i don't want to go to primark either. anyone knows anywhere thats doing good deals on relatively good quality suits atm? i haven't been into town in FOREVER so i have no idea where to start. my mum seems to think M&S is a safe bet though. :]

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 15th 2010, 04:20 PM

^^ I wish I could be set loose on my mums credit card! To be fair my mum said she would buy me quite a lot of the pans etc.. have lots of fun shopping!!

Rachel I love the polka dot ones!! I AM STEALING ALL YOUR PLATES AND CUTLERY. Hope you don't mind!!
my sis is going to Uni this year so we could split the cutlery
Also with gym wear I find that you don't realllly need that much, two sports bras, trackie bottoms, shorts, trainers and then you can just wear plain tank tops.. or at least I do. I love how cheap Uni gyms are mine is 40 for the YEAR including gym, swim and all classes and clubs! Whooooo

Elle M&S is always a safe bet. You could always try and get one that has a blazer you would wear casually too. I tried to do this for my interview suit..... though unfortunately I failed. Also worth giving Next a go they have some nice ones.

It's fine to have one.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 16th 2010, 08:44 AM

Urgh this is my numero uno problem - finding money for it all. My parents wont pay for the bits and pieces I need - and I didn't realise how expensive pots and pans could be!

I always need new clothes....but I'm putting off on any shopping til after results day.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 16th 2010, 09:47 AM

During freshers week my Uni organises a load of coach trips to the local Ikea for pots and pans. Ikea is way too expansive, I will probably end up getting a lot of stuff from Asda...

If I have got in I am going to get pots and pans and stuff like that first, I have clothes, I need new ones but I can wait until my student loan comes in to buy them and I will use the money I have saved for house stuff.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 16th 2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post
i need suits for sixth form! arrgghh. i think i'm going to go to M&S and H&M. i'm not spending loads of money on suits that i'm only going to be wearing for school but at the same time i don't want to go to primark either. anyone knows anywhere thats doing good deals on relatively good quality suits atm? i haven't been into town in FOREVER so i have no idea where to start. my mum seems to think M&S is a safe bet though. :]
I think that Next do suits. They're really nice and well made too,.. They can sometimes be expensive but but they're worth the money . Alot of my family get their suit from a local shop so maybe just take a venture into town or something

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 16th 2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I definitely agree with no going to primark. If I was you I would pay a bit more and get one you know will last you. Next have some nice ones but I would definitely agree with M&S. You best bet is to have a quick look online and then go and try loads on. If you find one that fits and looks nice then check the stitching on it and the quality and see how long you think it will last and if it is worth the money.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 16th 2010, 07:34 PM

I have just found this website.
www.unipacks.com

They sell packs of stuff you will need, it is a very expensive site and you could get things cheaper in Asda or Primark but it is great for ideas when writing shopping lists. I have forgot simple stuff like oven gloves and can openers.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 16th 2010, 07:45 PM

So have I

Thank you Rach!

It's fine to have one.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 16th 2010, 10:04 PM

Also a potato peeler..

It's fine to have one.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Victoria ♥ Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Victoria

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 16th 2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I have to wear suits too. I looked everywhere and couldn't really find anything. I ended up getting a few from H&M. I wanted skirts and when I went to places like Next and Marks and Spencers they were all really long. It depends what you want really.

Definitely try H&M though, i think that's where most of my friends bought theirs from too, and mine was cheaper than the ones i was looking at in other places.

♥ 18.10.08 ♥
LiveHelp Operator

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 16th 2010, 10:11 PM

I'm not, unfortunately I'm skint and have a 21st birthday pressie to buy
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 16th 2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Also a potato peeler..
Luckily all the things I seem to have forgot are small and fairly cheap.

NHS bursary people made a mistake and said I get 95 a month when my brother get 211.
With that and my student loan, once my rent is paid I will have 17.50 a week for food then all my money has gone

(#18 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 16th 2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leikela View Post

Luckily all the things I seem to have forgot are small and fairly cheap.

NHS bursary people made a mistake and said I get 95 a month when my brother get 211.
With that and my student loan, once my rent is paid I will have 17.50 a week for food then all my money has gone
lol! Well don't worry too much. Once my rent is paid (I went for the cheapest possible room, 87.50 a week) I have 3.15 a week (not including holidays). Definitely not possible to live on that!!

... I've started job hunting already!

It's fine to have one.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 16th 2010, 10:26 PM

Oooh wow

@ Elle and Vicky I'm so glad that my sixth form's not the only one with a dress code

And err, I bought a lot of stationary and stuff before the summer holidays and I don't really have any money left now so anything else can wait until I get some, I have plenty of clothes

Also, somewhere on TSR there's a huge list of everything you'll ever need at uni. I was going to link it but I can't find it atm, haha.

Last edited by Gingerbread Latte; August 16th 2010 at 10:35 PM.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 19th 2010, 04:53 PM

Haha I did this when I got in to uni last year And don't forget you'll still have freshers week and stuff to sort out your wardrobe - no one will remember what you were wearing that week so it gives you more time! Haha

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#21 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 19th 2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky View Post

I have to wear suits too. I looked everywhere and couldn't really find anything. I ended up getting a few from H&M. I wanted skirts and when I went to places like Next and Marks and Spencers they were all really long. It depends what you want really.

Definitely try H&M though, i think that's where most of my friends bought theirs from too, and mine was cheaper than the ones i was looking at in other places.
unfortunately we just got a new head of sixth form who has decided to be ridiculously strict about the dress code. any skirts we wear have to be KNEE LENGTH. even if we wear black tights underneath.. i think it's a bit ridiculous but oh well. i plan on getting a few smart dresses that i can wear with a suit jacket so i'm not just in a skirt or trouser suit every day. and i'll get loads of nice smart tops i can wear so at least i won't look too frumpy. at my school we're gunna be way smarter than the vast majority of the teachers - it's really annoying.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#22 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 21st 2010, 07:46 AM

Oh so now I actually do have to go out and buy stuff

Ah well, it's an excuse for new clothes. And bedding. And a blender. And any other appliance I can think of that I want to buy

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 21st 2010, 11:19 AM

I had bought myself a couple of new outfits when I moved to uni but in the first week or so I didn't wear any of them! Every night for our freshers was a themed night so it was all beach wear, pjs, and the tops the uni had given us in a different colour depending on which halls we were from!

I hadn't thought of half of the things I was going to need. Potato peelers, chopping boards, sieves, but that's the upside to living in halls, what you don't remember someone else is probably going to have brought! As for clothes, I might be going into my second year but I still need a new wardrobe! I got my student finance letter through yesterday so roll on the 4th October. The shops best be readyyy!

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Dark_Night Offline
Average Joe

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 21st 2010, 09:43 PM

I am sticking with my usual t-shirts but I've decided to spice it up a bit by going with flanel shirts (both the guy checkered ones as well as the girl single color ones). I like the way they look so I figured I would try it out.

LOL my parents don't know I have other guy flanel shirts. They saw one and they got pissed. Now that I'm at college though it'll be easier to wear whatever since I don't have to look over my back for them. I love them I do but when it comes to what I wear I wish they wouldn't try to control that.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount7

Edit avatar

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 22nd 2010, 08:59 PM

My flat is about 10 minutes from the city's huge shopping centre thing...and I'm keeping my job while I'm at uni....so clothes shopping is going to be all over the place. I want wooly tights - is that weird? To wear with dresses and groovy skirts...I just want some

And I've just realised I'm gonna need some decent pajamas...mine are...non existent

(#26 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 22nd 2010, 09:57 PM

Not weird!! I'm buying wooly tights

I am now the proud owner of 2x single fitted sheets.

It's fine to have one.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Psychosomatic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amanda

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 23rd 2010, 05:06 PM

I just got accepted to uni today, but its close enough for me to stay at home so no utensils/crockery shopping for me. I do however need to buy some new clothes. So far I got these boots (in grey) http://www.shoerack.ie/sr-laced-tcap...le-20194.html#

(#28 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

August 23rd 2010, 06:21 PM

^ I really like those boots!

I have bought lots of pans, sieves, spatulas today! And a really amazing laundry bag from wilkos! Still go to buy some plates.. Saw some nice polka dot ones in Homebase but they are 2.99 for ONE PLATE, blah. Also got to buy some cultery, saw some in next but its 10 for a 16 piece set. Hmm hmmmmmm

JUST FOUND THESE YAYYYYY
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80154630

GREEN!! Me and my sis can split it as there are 3x of everything which makes it 7.50 each. win win.

Um, around 3 seems to be pretty standard for plates that aren't plain white.. I really don't want plain white because
a) its boring
b) they'll get muddled up with other peoples

It's fine to have one.

Last edited by Melody Pond; August 23rd 2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts

(#29 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: The official "I'm going to Uni/College and am buying a completely new wardrobe" thread! - August 23rd 2010, 08:37 PM

Going to get these plates and bowls
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C14418524.htm

It's fine to have one.

Closed Thread