TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Symphony. Offline
"You're the only light."
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Question What is an appropriate age to dye your whole head? - July 25th 2012, 02:01 PM

Hey guys,
I'm not really asking this because I want to dye all my hair, but I was just curious as to what you feel is an okay age for a person to dye their hair (all of it, not just streaks). To you, does it make a difference whether it's an unnatural color or not? If so, what age would you say would be the most appropriate for someone to dye their hair an unnatural color?
In my opinion, I'd say 15 or so is a good age. Maybe 14 depending on how much I would think the person would be able to choose a color whose result they would like.
So, what do you guys think?

"What's done in the dark will be brought to the light."
Associate HelpLink Mentor

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: What is an appropriate age to dye your whole head? - July 25th 2012, 02:21 PM

Well I started dying my hair fully when I was about 11-12ish. I don't think there's a specific age that I'd say it's okay to dye your hair but obviously I don't see why a 7 year old would want to dye their hair.

As for unnatural colours I do think that effects what age. If you're at school then you might not even be allowed to dye your hair colours like bright pink and green etc. I know at my school the most they'd allow was bright red so I waited until I was 18 and had left to dye my hair bright blue.

Overall if the person is under 16 I'd say just let their parents decide when they can dye their hair. On a lot of hair dye products it does say that the product isn't intended for use by under 16s anyway.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: What is an appropriate age to dye your whole head? - July 25th 2012, 02:24 PM

I was about 12 or 13 when I first started dying my full head of hair. I was 20 when I stopped dying my hair.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jas Offline
aka Xamed
Junior TeenHelper

Re: What is an appropriate age to dye your whole head? - July 25th 2012, 02:36 PM

I was 10 when I got my first full head of highlights (a present from my sister while we were in Japan), continued with that for a few years, and started dying my hair fully at about 13. I really appreciate my parents for how they handled my desire to do that - despite not loving the idea they allowed me to as long as I purchased the hair dye (even when it was blue), and my mum even dyed her hair hot pink once! (Which embarrassed me thoroughly at the time but now I admire her for.) I think because there were no outright refusals or taboo elements to it, I grew out of that experimental desire way earlier than I might have, and I've been a natural shades close to my own hair colour kind of girl since 15/16.

eta - Wait, to actually answer your question: I don't think there is an absolute prescriptive age for hair dye. Parents have to make their own judgement calls, and I would support the idea of allowing experimentation and supporting creativity in adolescents. I suppose it gets iffy when you're talking about kids that are 7/8/9, but it really depends on the kid. When I was a nanny, the 8 year old was easily as mature at the 10 year old, because kids vary SO much at those ages. But yeah, let's just say that I don't believe you can pick an age and apply that to everyone.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: What is an appropriate age to dye your whole head? - July 25th 2012, 07:42 PM

I started getting highlights at 12 and dyed all of my hair at 15. I think 15/16 would be a good age to start dying all of your hair because hair dye can be harsh and usually kids don't have an interest until they are about 15 anyway.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Peach_Out:. Offline
pain demands to be felt
Average Joe

Name: Dominick Joseph

Re: What is an appropriate age to dye your whole head? - July 27th 2012, 03:54 AM

well im 10 and bleaching my hair soon so ya

" Blue hydrangea, cold cash, divine, cashmere, cologne and white sunshine."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: What is an appropriate age to dye your whole head? - July 29th 2012, 04:01 AM

When I was 11 or 12 I did highlights for the first time and dyed my hair fully for the first time at 14. I think that's pretty good. As long as your parents approve and you're doing it safely, I don't see a problem with almost any age, as long as 5 year olds don't start dying their hair.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
alixthetree Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: alix

Re: What is an appropriate age to dye your whole head? - July 29th 2012, 04:35 AM

I was 16 the first time I ever dyed my hair (haha it hasn't been natural since.) So I kind of think that's a good age, I mean at that point most teens are getting there license and such so why shouldn't they be capable of picking a color they like and dying their hair?

Accept and Never
Forget Only
Life Dies.

No matter the amount of negativity you're presented with...
5 minutes from now could be your best moment.
-Mod Sun

Send a message via AIM to alixthetree Send a message via MSN to alixthetree Send a message via Skype™ to alixthetree 
Closed Thread