TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Colouring hair for the first time :D - May 26th 2013, 12:09 PM

Sooooo, I have absolutely no idea how to go about it.

I'll be getting hair colour from the US. I am planning to do my hair Manic Panic's After Midnight. My natural hair colour is dark brown-black.

So my question is, what all will I need?

- I guess I should bleach my hair first for a better colour? How does the bleach thing work? I've never bleached my hair and stuff. How long will the bleach last? Can it damage my hair?

The thing is, I live in another country and I'll be asking my uncle to get me the stuff from US when he returns in June. The hair colours in my country suck, so I am getting Manic Panic, I've heard that it is a pretty good quality hair colour. So, whatever I'll need, I'll have to get it in one shopping spree, since we can't go back to get more stuff.

And I've never coloured my hair before so. Any tips/guidelines?

Also, any other colour suggestions? My complexion is typical Indian dark/wheatish.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eljoria Offline
I'mAlwaysHereHelping. (:
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: Colouring hair for the first time :D - May 26th 2013, 04:40 PM

Bleach damages your hair, definitely. What color is that? I've never heard of Manic hair dye. PM Me, i'll help.

(Experiences from dying my hair too much)

Jay

Live the life.
  Send a message via MSN to Eljoria  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Colouring hair for the first time :D - May 26th 2013, 04:56 PM

Hi there! I've dyed my hair so much over the last 10 or so years so hopefully I can help

If you're using Manic Panic dye then you should consider using bleach. As long as your hair is in good condition in the first place the damage the bleach does shouldn't be too noticeable. Since your hair is quite dark you'll probably want to leave it on for about an hour and a half to get it light enough but the packet of hair bleach should give you good enough guidelines.

As for other things, vaseline around your hair line and on your ears will stop them getting stained during the dying process.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
lurkalot Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Me

Re: Colouring hair for the first time :D - June 7th 2013, 12:43 PM

Get 30 volume bleach and bleach powder (preferably L'Oreal Blue)
Get some coconut oil and put it in your hair, leave it in for about an hour.
Get some gloves to aplly the bleach and also the dye later on
Then mix the bleach and apply it to your hair, leave it on for 30 minutes and then check the colour, if it's still orange leave it on for another 10-20 minutes then wash it out.
If your hair is still very yellow/orange, condition your hair with coconut oil every day for about a week before bleaching again for a shorter time.

Anyway, once you have washed the bleach out, towel dry your hair and put some vaseline on your forehead and the tips of your ears- these dyes (especially the blues) stain pretty badly, vaseline stops the dye coming into contact with your skin and staining it. Apply the dye and leave it on for a few hours- Manic Panic and La Riche Directions dyes are vegetable based so you can leave it on for a long time without damaging your hair, the longer you leave it in the longer the dye will last. I'd suggest about 3 hours. The dye is conditioning so it will help repair bleached hair. Cover your hair with tin foil or cling film whilst the dye is in your hair to keep the dye moist- it stops dying if your hair dries out.
Wash the dye out with cold/cool water and deep condition it as your hair will still be quite dry from the bleach.

Bright hair dye colours fade pretty quickly as opposed to other hair dyes- so a tip for keeping the colour bright for longer is to add a bit of dye into your conditioner each time you wash it and leave it on for about 10 minutes.

Ideally you'd have it done by a hairdresser but meh

I'll PM you some videos which might help.
  Send a message via Skype™ to lurkalot 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
lurkalot Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Me

Re: Colouring hair for the first time :D - June 7th 2013, 12:45 PM

BTW bleach will permanently change your hair colour until it grows out.

In my opinion La Riche directions or Special Effects hair dye is better than Manic Panic, but they're all much of a muchness. Try to get 3+ pots as you may want to renew the colour etc
  Send a message via Skype™ to lurkalot 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread