TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Perm on coloured hair. - April 28th 2014, 01:28 PM

Me again.

I've been worrying lately that curling my hair so often is going to harm it. Between the heat and all the hair products to keep it in place, it's concerning me. Not to mention, because it needs so much hairspray to stay in place, even when I've brushed it out as much as I can, it's still all matted together when I'm washing it and it's making it hard to wash properly because the shampoo isn't coming out as easily from the matted areas.
My mum suggested I just get a perm. My first thought was loads of small, tight ringlets, but apparently I can get loose, natural curls too?
I was phoning around today to get some price ideas and one salon asked me what colour my hair was. Naturally my hair is brown, but it's not at the moment because I dye it. I have been for just over three years now. The woman on the phone said that I'd have to sign a disclosure before they came near me because perming coloured hair can be really damaging to it.

Ultimately, my hair has been straight (sometimes a little wavy) my entire life, and I really like how it looks with curls. I feel a lot more confident because I genuinely feel good with them.
My question is:
Is it more damaging to frequently curl my hair and cover it in hairspray, or to have it chemically curled every six months or so for however long I decide to keep this look?
I love the curls but I stay 2/3 nights a week with my partner and it's just not really feasible to curl my hair while I'm staying with her right now. What's my best choice here? Surely if my hair was damaged by the chemicals involved, I'd be able to use different shampoos and such to repair it over time, and I read that the process can last up to six months so it's not as if I'd be doing it that often.
Help?

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
sunflower Offline
bathing in lavender sunshine
Average Joe

Name: Donné

Re: Perm on coloured hair. - April 28th 2014, 02:31 PM

I think Perming it would be a good idea but you need to wait until your heals a bit (go without heat for a few weeks) or it'll just break. Although there will be chemical damage like you said you can nurse it with different products. I think Perming your hair will have less reprecussions than constant heat curling. You can also just set your hair at night without heat. About the color, in my experience harsh chemicals that change hair texture, remove hair color. So I just color it afterward.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Perm on coloured hair. - April 28th 2014, 05:37 PM

As the above poster said if you let your hair heal a bit it should be healthy enough to take the perming process without getting too damaged. Just keep it well conditioned and keep your hair away from heat for a few weeks before your appointment.

I'll admit I've never got a perm but I've actually never heard anyone say it's more damaging on coloured hair than on natural hair. My mum dyes her hair a lot and gets perms occasionally but I never noticed her hair getting damaged.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: Perm on coloured hair. - April 28th 2014, 07:57 PM

As the others have said, I think getting a perm will be alright if your hair is healthy enough for it. Even with colored hair, as long it's taken care of, I think it should be fine. Make sure to keep it well conditioned, especially if your hair tends to be dry. For repairing chemically treated hair, I have found a few products that are really helpful. One of my favorites is moroccan oil which really helps give some moisture to my hair. I have also used a few other oil products along with leave-in conditioners that all worked very well! For no further damage, you could always look into methods of curling that don't use heat. Good luck!

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Perm on coloured hair. - April 28th 2014, 10:53 PM

My issue with keeping my hair conditioned is that I have really greasy hair. With just a normal wash, I can *almost* make 24 hours before it starts to look gross. With most conditioners, it can look greasy from the minute it's dry. The problem with the perm, from asking around, is that the chemicals are really harsh on your hair, and some people have had dyed hair literally falling out after getting it permed because the chemicals used (despite being a LOT better than 10 years ago) killed their hair.
Seeing as I can't get it this week, I am holding off a little while. My godmother is going to speak to her hairdresser for me and see what she thinks since she is really good. I'd have to wait anyway because I dyed my hair an hour ago when I realised I couldn't perm it in the next week or so and didn't want to keep going about with my roots growing in so much.

For the moment, I've generally been advised to invest in a good heat protection spray, use mousse if possible (god knows what that'll do to the state of my hair if conditioner makes it gross) and keep curling until either my colour grows out and my hair is all natural, or it's *at least* been a couple of months since it was last coloured.

Whether or not it's a good idea to go ahead with it, is still up for debate. xD

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

Closed Thread