TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Name: Kaveri

No soap, no 'poo - May 17th 2014, 06:32 AM

Hey you guys!

So basically, I've been experimenting with my hair and bath products a little bit. In fact, I've pretty much gone off my bath products. Generally, I've found it such a pain to find the right shampoo and conditioner for my hair and I would have to switch shampoos quite often. It was quite a pain. And well, what happened once, was there was very little shampoo in one of the bottles, and I had already bought another bottle. So I put some water into the near empty bottle, shook it up and figured I'd squeeze some onto the bathroom walls and see what happens. Honestly, it cleaned better than any of he other cleaners, and it smelled better. The minute I saw that, I really didn't know what I should buy and stuff.

And I was looking online, and came across a few blogs that spoke about people who just used plain old water to bathe, no shampoo, no soaps, nothing! So, I was pretty revved up and decided to be bold and try it. I mean, after all, if you think about it, people ages ago, didn't have "soaps" and "shampoos".

So I tried it. Only water first. Then I realised that it was stupid, because My hair was so used to shampoo that it would completely go disgusting if I use just water. So, I turned to what my used for me when I was really young. Green gram flour to clean out the hair and vinegar after to condition. Well, another boo-boo. You see, I used to have an oil bath when mum used to use green gram flour, and since I didn't use oil on my hair, it became excessively dry after I used it.

So, it's been about a couple of weeks now, and I decided to go for the thing that had been working for everyone. Baking soda and vinegar. I'd mix about 1 tbsp of baking soda with about 16tbsp (1 cup/ 8fl.oz) of water, shake it up real good, spray of pour it little by little gradually using my fingers to work it into my scalp and then wash it thoroughly with warm water. After that, same proportion of vinegar (apple cider or distilled) with water - 1tbsp:1cup and worked it into my hair more than into my scalp and washed it off thoroughly with cool water. It works like a charm. My scalp is no longer oily, my hair doesn't look greasy, it's super soft to the touch, and I plan on using this twice a week, and then, slowly to once a week, substituting one wash with just water, until I come to a point where I only have to use water for my hair.

As for my body, for the past 2 weeks, not a bit of soap or shower gel has touched it. It's glowing. It's soft. Any problem I had with heat boils and zits, all gone. I wash my face about 5 times a day, and that's fine, but just water, nothing else. Even my body. I don't smell, no bad odours. In the beginning, for my pits, I did use coconut oil and baking soda, and now I have absolutely no problem with odour. Once a week, I use a washcloth, stand in the shower and rub myself down. Otherwise, just water! My hair smells clean, looks and feels absolutely gorgeous and light.

I love it. And I'm so excited I tried it. My mum's been quite startled at the results as well, and is following suit! I really had to share the results with you guys. I am unable to post any pictures right now, but will when I have the chance!

~Through the wind and the rain she stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above.
But her dreams give her wings and she flies to a place where she's loved.

Concrete Angel

"And so I grew from colt to stallion
As wild and as reckless as thunder over the land.
Racing with the eagle, soaring with the wind.
Flying? There were times I believed I could."

HelpLINK Mentor - 2.4.2011
LiveHelp Operator - 18.6.2011

Send a message via MSN to Spirit. Send a message via Skype™ to Spirit. 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: No soap, no 'poo - May 18th 2014, 03:01 AM

Wow, this is really interesting! I'd never heard of going without soap completely. Do you do a lot of high intensity exercise? I couldn't imagine not using soap after a workout, but it seems like it could work! All of those hair cleaning mixtures seem really awesome too. I might have to try one sometime. Anyways, I'm really glad that this been working for you!

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Re: No soap, no 'poo - May 18th 2014, 01:35 PM

Hi!

I have actually started doing a lot of cardio, and it's summer where I live, and super humid. I have a bath pretty much right after I work out, and I find that since the sweat has pretty much brought out all the muck in my body, I don't need to use soap, but just water, sometimes cold if I feel extremely hot or slightly warmer than lukewarm. When you work out, the sweat is comparatively clean, and is basically a manner of excretion. Washing it away is all it needs.
The toxins and bacteria that cause body odour pretty much get out of your body with the sweat. One thing to make sure, is just that you drink a good amount of water to help flush out impurities. At the beginning, I did use a tad bit of coconut oil, very lightly, for my underarms and washed it out with baking soda. No smell, no problems. And I sweat very easily - large pores and temperature sensitivity, so yeah.

Usually, people experience a transitory period, because your hair has been coated with conditioner, so it takes a while for your body to regulate oil production again, but it happens fairly quick if you kind of wean off you regular bath habits. Such as, maybe start with diluted shampoo without conditioner once a week if you wash it 2 to 3 times a week, for a couple weeks then move on to diluted shampoo only for one wash in a week, the other 2 using the baking soda and vinegar treatment, and so forth. If you decide to convert

Yep, I'm super happy with the results. I feel so light and fresh, and so much better knowing that I never have to end up carrying bottles of bath product from one place to another when I travel

Concrete Angel

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chai. Offline
Nitwit Blubber Oddment Tweak ♥
I can't get enough

Name: Kay

Re: No soap, no 'poo - May 18th 2014, 02:25 PM

My friend suggested this to me since I get this weird allergic reactions to a certain soaps I never thought it would work
Green gram flour and the oil bath. I do that sometimes,I think that has got something to do with our region

"Being happy isn't about having everything in your life perfect. Maybe it is about stringing together all the little things."

Community Mentor | HelpLINK Access | LiveHelp Access | Forum Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: No soap, no 'poo - May 18th 2014, 07:20 PM

I'll definitely have to try the baking powder and vinegar thing! My hair gets so disgusting if I go more than 24 hours without washing it so this might work!
I can agree with the washing with just water thing. I've never been at a point in my life where I washed my face every morning and evening with soap. Occasionally I will if the soap smells good or if there's dirt on my face I can't shift with just water. My entire life people have complimented my skin and how clear it is. I've never told them that my secret is basically not washing it because it sounds gross, but it does work.

Thanks for the tip on the hair -- can't wait to try it!

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Re: No soap, no 'poo - May 19th 2014, 09:52 AM

Hey Lou!

Yeah, that's exactly why I decided to try it out. It's fab. I washed my hair this morning. It's lovely and light. Honestly, I use a wash cloth for my face when it gets too dirty which pretty much acts like a scrub

Concrete Angel

(#7 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: No soap, no 'poo - May 19th 2014, 12:46 PM

This is something I can't ever see myself actually managing to go through with, but it sounds very inspiring - glad to hear it's working so well x

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Re: No soap, no 'poo - May 20th 2014, 06:14 AM

Thank you! It really is pretty much changing my life!

Concrete Angel

(#9 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: No soap, no 'poo - May 20th 2014, 10:38 AM

I tried this in the shower this morning. Unfortunately, we don't have apple cider vinegar, just normal malt vinegar you'd put on your chips. I used it anyway since the amount of water involved diluted it so much that you couldn't really smell it.
Obviously since I've only just done it I can't comment on how well it works, but my hair is clean. And fluffy. And it feels quite dry as well, which is a plus since it's always been so greasy.
I'll see how it goes and just rinse it with water every other day or so until until the weekend.
I'm hopeful that this works well. It was getting expensive to keep buying new shampoos because my hair reacted badly to them all, and I was really dreading replacing the one I have because it's usually around £5 a bottle.

Thanks so much for the tips, I'll definitely keep this going and see what happens.

We are the rainbow

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Re: No soap, no 'poo - May 20th 2014, 08:59 PM

That's great! Just watch out, everyone, even me, goes through a transition period where your hair feels odd at times. Just keep at it and try not to wash your hair too often. And use the baking soda mixture specifically on your scalp after your first wash and mostly contain the vinegar mixture to the length of your hair.

Ibuse synthetic vinegar, pretty much what you're using. Doesn't make too much of a difference. But apparently distilled or apple cider vinegar (acv) is the best crossing my fingers for your results. I've realised I don't need to use water on my hair every couple of days. Just once to twice a week is enough after the transition period is done, and your hair has settled then you can wash with just water as often as you like once your body is used to it either way, do update me, and I'll continue to do so here

Concrete Angel

(#11 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: No soap, no 'poo - May 22nd 2014, 06:55 PM

How long IS the transition period? I tried to wash my hair with just water today and it was beyond disgusting. I did some reading and rinsed it again with cold water and some baking powder/water mix and it was worse. I mean so greasy that I couldn't even get it completely dry and I could feel it on my hands after touching my hair. It was really awful.
I caved and showered with shampoo.
I do want to try this, but unless there's a way for my hair to not be that disgusting after rinsing it, I'm going to run into problems.

We are the rainbow

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Spirit. Offline
Run free
I've been here a while

Re: No soap, no 'poo - May 22nd 2014, 07:16 PM

Hi Lou,

The transition period varies from person to person. It can take anywhere between a couple weeks to a month. That's why I suggested weaning off. Don't go conpletely off shampoo right away and don't wash yout hair with only water just yet as there has been years of build up of conditioner and your scalp is used to over production of oil, and it takes time for it to settle.
The best way to cope with this is washing with diluted shampoo first, getting it used to no conditioner for a while, then move to baking soda and vinegar mixtures for your hair. I used to previously use vinegar once a week before I applied shampoo so my transition was a little easier.
Only when you're able to use the bkg soda and acv mixture only for you hair would it be best to substitute one wash with only water once in two weeks.
The bkg soda and acv, when you make the mixture, you needn't finish the entire thing, use as required. You can even put them in a spray bottle to make it easier to handle.
And don't wash your hair too soon. Wait 3 days before you wash again, otherwise your scalp won't get used to producing the right amount of sebum and it will get very oily and greasy.
I hope this helped clear up anything. And do ask if you need anything else.
One more tip I could give you, is when you use the baking soda on your scalp use your fingernails and lightly scratch your scalp, it cleans out any hard to get dirt and sebum. When using the acv on your hair, run your fingers through your hair to get every strand. Don't be in a rush or impatient, give it time to settle and don't be in a hurry to wash your hair.

This morning I washed it with only water for the first time since I started 3ish weeks ago, this time, my hair didn't turn greasy. It felt that when I was drying it, but in an hour, it was comoletely dry and felt good. So don't have to rush into only water just yet.

Concrete Angel

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: bayleigh

Re: No soap, no 'poo - May 22nd 2014, 08:09 PM

Ive heard a lot about stuff like this.

one thing you can do if your hair looks gross while you're weaning off shampoo is keep it up in a bun or a ponytail. no one can tell if your hair is greasy my hair is ridiculously long and i do this when im trying to stretch a wash (the length dries out when you wash it to much) and if the vineger/baking soda dries out your hair, use coconut oil

Creativity takes courage
-Henri Matisse

PM/VM me if you just need to talk. trust me, i don't mind

Closed Thread