TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
acting101 Offline
Average Joe

Considering a Pixie Cut - June 20th 2017, 12:40 AM

I've had basically the same hairstyle since I learned how to use a hair straightener 10 years ago in 8th grade. Basically a bob haircut. I've never had long hair before, and I've gone 1 whole year without cutting it which is the longest I've gone in my life. It's not "long" by any means yet, maybe rests just barely touching my shoulders, but I find now it gets knotty super easily and I don't feel comfortable putting it up into a pony/half up/whatever since I've never done anything like that before.

So! I've decided it's hair cut time. I could just go back to the chin length bob I've had all my life, but I'm considering going super short. I've been thinking about doing it since I was in high school but never go the guts. I'm at a high point of confidence and self-worth in my life so now might be a good time?

TLDR point: I'm thinking of getting a longer styled pixie cut as a stepping stone to some cool sort of faux hawk experience or playing with shaving parts of my head. I'm curious what other girls experiences were when they decided to go from normal length hair down to a pixie? Did you like it or hate it, or grow to get used to it? Also, if you decided to grow it back out, what was that process like?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Considering a Pixie Cut - June 20th 2017, 05:18 AM

I think other's experiences with this is kind of irrelevant. Just because another girl got a pixie cut and regretted it doesn't mean that you will. I personally think you should go for it if it is something you have been considering for awhile. When I was in high school, I had long hair and cut it all off and had a short bob. I loved it, but I did end up growing my hair back out. The thing is, it's just hair. If you hate it, it will grow back. You can always get a wig if you can't wait for it to grow back. On the other side, you may love it! It certainly would decrease the amount of time you have to spend on your hair. If you've had bob cuts, then I don't think a pixie would be too different. You're already used to short hair, so if anything you're probably more likely to like it than someone else who went from long hair to a pixie cut.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Considering a Pixie Cut - June 20th 2017, 05:34 AM

You should do it if you want to because hair will grow back if you don't like it! However, if you have had a bob for a while a pixie isn't that much difference and it won't take long to grow back if you don't like it! You could also talk to your hair stylist and ask their opinion on if it will suit you.

My personal opinion based on my own experiences:

I've always had long hair (like almost waist length) since I was little and cut it once in elementary school and once in middle school to my chin (to donate for cancer). I personally wouldn't do it again because my hair goes into somewhat of an uncontrolled ball of frizz and puffiness (think a mixture of this when it was super short and this
when it is below my elbows.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Considering a Pixie Cut - June 21st 2017, 01:43 AM

I had a pixie/bob cut once when I was really young and I hated it. However, I've never had my hair cut super short and so I wasn't used to it. If you've had a bob cut most of your life then a pixie isn't going to be too much different.

I also happen to be really conservative when it comes to my hair. So, I tend to move slowly in regards to changing style.

If you trust the person you have do your hair then you could ask them if they think a pixie cut would look good on you. Usually hairstylists can kind of determine if a hairstyle will look good and if they don't think it will they can make suggestions. However, you'd probably only want to do this if you trust the person. My sister in law is a hairstylist and does my hair so she will be honest with me and her other clients if she doesn't think something will look good. She'll still do it if they want it though.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Considering a Pixie Cut - June 21st 2017, 08:17 AM

Honestly I think if it's something you want then you should definitely just go for it. Just because other people have regretted doesn't mean you will as well.

I haven't ever had a pixie cut, although I have gone from it being really long to being just above my shoulders and I didn't regret it but I still ended up growing it out. I did like my hair short though there just wasn't as much to do with it anymore.

But like I said before, it doesn't really matter about other people's opinions if you want to do it and have wanted to do it for so long. I know I decided one day to dye my hair purple and dyed it that day without even considering if I was going to regret it later on. Of course a hair cut is slightly different as it takes a bit longer to grow it out again than to get rid of hair dye, but remember that even if you do regret it, it will grow out again and you don't have to get the same haircut again if you choose not to.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

Closed Thread