TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Matter Offline
The Space Essence
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sue

What unnatural colour should I dye my hair? - July 18th 2017, 06:28 PM

Hey all.
I've always wanted to dye my hair an unnatural colour. I had it dip dyed blue last year and purple this year (though the colour has almost washed out now). But then I'd like to dye all of it and that's why I'm wondering - which colour should I pick?
My natural hair is dark blonde (similar to this one: http://omgcolors.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/dark-blonde-hairstyle-2017-450x750.jpg).
I'm white but my skin isn't pale, I've got freckles and my eyes are a mixture of blue/green/gray.
In general I'd prefer purple, but I think blue would suit me more. On the other hand, blue may become greenish after a few washes, which I wouldn't like too much I guess.
I honestly have no idea about matching colours/clothes/everything with my complexion and stuff so I'd be grateful for any advice.
Thanks everyone. Have a great day,
Sue

Life begins where fear ends

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What unnatural colour should I dye my hair? - July 18th 2017, 07:42 PM

You could do rainbow or rainbow roots.

If you are worried about it looking good and you are going to have it professionally done then you could talk to the person who is doing it (and ask them if they think that particular color would look good). A good hairstylist will be honest with you and help you come up with a style that works best and that you are still likely to like.

If you aren't getting it done professionally I've seen a few people who have pulled off colored hair (orange, blue, purple) and I believe they had a similar complexion as to what you are describing.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Re: What unnatural colour should I dye my hair? - July 18th 2017, 08:44 PM

pink hair is a thing probs not for me but if you feel like it, you can try it

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Matter Offline
The Space Essence
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What unnatural colour should I dye my hair? - July 18th 2017, 09:25 PM

I'm not considering having it done professionally.
My main concerns are how the colour will turn out after washing it a few times (though I know it depends on the hair and is rather unpredictable) AND how much the roots will stand out.
I have recently learned that one can actually dye their hair with gentian to get purple. Has anyone done it or had any experience with gentian? It seems like a pretty good idea, though I'm not 100% sure since what I know about dying comes from the web.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: What unnatural colour should I dye my hair? - July 18th 2017, 09:39 PM

I use to dye my hair unnatural colors, though I did it over my dark hair so slightly different.

I've done blue, purple, and red. In short, blue fades weird colors depending also on the brand of dye. I've learned to not trust Manic Panic for their blue because it fades really fast, and to a gross greenish blueish color. Or at least it did for me.

Another thing you can consider: Who says you have to do one color? You could do both, or multiple colors. I once had layers of different colored hair. Top layer was blue, middle was purple, bottom was red. It took about 2 hours to do, but I loved it.

I've heard of people using Kool-aid to dye hair, and it working pretty well. I bet you can google more info on how. I've never tried it because you need to have blond hair to do it, or so I've heard. But I've heard it works well.

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
London1621 Offline
No worries
Regular TeenHelper

Name: London

Re: What unnatural colour should I dye my hair? - July 19th 2017, 02:33 PM

I have seen people with pink, green, white and blue and pink together. But whatever you pick, you will look cute. Or if you don't want to have it. Lots of hugs.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Matter Offline
The Space Essence
Senior TeenHelper

Re: What unnatural colour should I dye my hair? - July 19th 2017, 02:56 PM

Well honestly I know I'd like one colour, so I'm just choosing between blue or purple.
I wouldn't like blue to fade into green, but I've just asked an acquaintance who's dyed her hair and she said it simply faded into pastel blue instead of becoming green.
I don't have access to Manic Panic or Kool Aid (or maybe I do, but it's hard to get in my country and it costs a fortune compared to other products available). That's why, unfortunately, I can't really find opinions on English-speaking sites since I can only choose between Polish products.
Do you think dark blond hair can be dyed without bleaching? I don't necessarily want an extremely vibrant colour.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: What unnatural colour should I dye my hair? - July 19th 2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamair View Post
Well honestly I know I'd like one colour, so I'm just choosing between blue or purple.
I wouldn't like blue to fade into green, but I've just asked an acquaintance who's dyed her hair and she said it simply faded into pastel blue instead of becoming green.
I don't have access to Manic Panic or Kool Aid (or maybe I do, but it's hard to get in my country and it costs a fortune compared to other products available). That's why, unfortunately, I can't really find opinions on English-speaking sites since I can only choose between Polish products.
Do you think dark blond hair can be dyed without bleaching? I don't necessarily want an extremely vibrant colour.
Can you ask the friend what brand they used to dye their hair? Color hair does fade (it's one of the reasons I've never actually gotten it done). However, if you use a good product the fading is supposed to be less extreme.

Also, I know that there are times when hair will fade a bit more the first time you dye it so you should dye it again within 4-6 weeks. I got my hair done earlier this year or later last year and I did a dark brown color. My sister in law said it would fade so she had me come in for another appointment four weeks later to dye it again. Supposedly that would allow the color to stick longer.

However, since I am not a professional an I had it professionally done, I don't know if it would be wise to do again so quickly?

I also am not certain if you could do it without bleaching it. However, if you do end up bleaching it be really careful. My sister in law has told me some horror stories about people who have bleached their hair on their own.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: What unnatural colour should I dye my hair? - July 21st 2017, 08:48 PM

Unless you had your hair done at the salon in the past, there is no reason blue hair should turn green.

I would advise against Manic Panic.

Closed Thread