TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Hair...? - September 11th 2017, 04:46 PM

Sometimes I feel like my mom never taught me how to be a girl. I mean, I can't even cook.
In some ways it's good, because she let me figure things out on my own, and didn't force me into doing my makeup and styling my hair, "just because I'm a female".

However, now I'm so lost. She taught me briefly how to apply eyeliner, and so that was my go-to look for way longer than it should've been. Sometime when I was much more than halfway done with high school, I realized how ugly and emo straight black, smudgy eyeliner looked. So I ditched that, mostly for good, and now I just put eyeshadow around my eyes and blend it until I think it looks good. Then I'll put on mascara and that'll usually be the extent of it.

What I'm most lost on, however, is hair. I actually have pretty hair, to be honest. It's thick and curly and I think I would like it if I knew wtf to do with it.
I used to just put gel in it and it would stay curly and in place. However, something must've changed with either the texture of it or maybe since the weather has been so damn hot, because now even if I put gel in it, it'll get frizzy and dry and gross. I like the wet, curly look.
Here's the big thing... everyone else in my immediate family has manageable hair. My brothers and dad have curly hair like I do, but obviously they keep theirs short so they don't have problems. My mom has straight/lightly wavy hair and it's thinner than mine, so I don't think she really understands the struggle I have. Of course, she should be the one who would know what to do with hair, but whenever I ask her for advice she just says to put mayonnaise in it overnight and rinse it out in the morning.
Yeah, I'm not putting mayonnaise in my hair.

Some of my friends with thicker, curlier hair than mine talk about putting oils in their hair. I decided anything is better than a condiment, and started putting a tiny bit of baby oil in my hand when I put on conditioner in the shower. That has helped a lot with the frizziness, but now my hair just looks oily.

Aside from just managing my hair in general, my one girly friend always complains that I never do my hair. I never cared about what she said, but my ex and now my boyfriend have both said I should at least do something new with it. Usually I just have it up in a ponytail or bun. I'll try to wear it down, but it'll get frizzy or look gross and greasy.

Since I know someone's going to want to say the classic, "Don't change yourself for anyone else~!" I want to make it clear that I want to learn how to manage it better, for me, not for the other people. They just helped bring me to finally address my own concerns.

So what do you guys do with your hair? What kind of styles do you put it in on a daily basis and what does your hair care routine look like?
Any advice - ANY - is highly appreciated!

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Peachman Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Hair...? - September 17th 2017, 01:10 AM

ik you said female advice preferred but the post didnt have a reply and was a few days old so thats why im here but im pretty sure you could find tons of YouTube tutorials etc for anything you wanted to do eg you could look at hairstyles on google images and find a YouTube tutorial on how to do it

Closed Thread