TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Not a n00b

Keratin hair treatment - November 19th 2017, 11:32 PM

Hey, so I have curly thick hair that's kind of damaged and I've been thinking about getting keratin done. My mums friend who's a hairdresser recommended it and assured me my hair definitely won't fal out and won't thin out after the keratin treatment is done. I've also looked it up online, (she said she'll use the GK hair Best Keratin treatment with Juvexin) and the reviews were all great, some said it didn't really straighten but whatever. My main concern is will my hair fall out after getting keratin done? Btw my mum has alopecia, just in case that matters and I've also never died my hair in any way.

Keep calm and carry on.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Latibule Offline
whyy?

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Keratin hair treatment - November 20th 2017, 01:46 AM

Hey,
So I get the keritin treatment every 6 months to a year and it has never made my hair fall out, and I have been dying and bleaching my hair since I was 15. It actually makes your hair smoother and healthier. Also I just want to put this out there it doesn't really straighten your hair it takes out all the frizzy curls and relaxes it some. But it does get it smoother. I really like getting it done. But I will say this. The treatment is really harsh chemicals and for it to work they have to take a flat iron to each strand of hair and go over it like 10-15 times and the flat iron is on super high. So with that said it can cause hair loss. It all depends on your hair and you. Everyone has a different reaction. Anyways if you are really worried about it, I would go with the safer route and not get it done. But it is up to you. I also googled it and it says it can cause hair loss. Also if you do get it done, just be aware that when they put the chemicals on it may make your eyes water, itchy and irritated if so I would see if she could use a fan. That is what my hair dresser has to do.

I really hope this helped. If you have any more questions please let me know. You can also PM/VM me anytime with your questions.

Your Friend,
Essa

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself"
|Member 2007|Community Mentor|
|PM/VM|

Last edited by Latibule; November 20th 2017 at 06:58 AM.
  Send a message via AIM to Latibule Send a message via Yahoo to Latibule Send a message via Skype™ to Latibule 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ayurnamat. Offline
✞Faith can move mountains✞

Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi

Re: Keratin hair treatment - November 20th 2017, 04:03 AM

Hello!

I have never had keratin hair treatment done on my hair but I did do some research into it. I would make sure the product your hairdresser is using doesn't have formaldehyde or methylene glycol (which is formaldehyde and water and it releases formaldehyde into your hair when its brushed in and when it is heated by a hair straightener or blow dryer), or other names like methylene oxide, formalin or formic aldehyde. Formaldehyde can have certain side effects such as red/sore/irritated eyes, skin, lungs, and nose and can cause dizziness. Some of the types of the GK have higher percentages of formaldehyde which I found when I was looking into it. For example, where I am, products aren't allowed more than 0.2% formaldehyde and when they were tested, some of their products had 1.8%-7% formaldehyde. Some of their products don't have these things which is why I recommend looking into the product that you're going to be using.

I can't guarantee that your hair won't fall out because everyone's hair is different and some of the reviews that I found, mentioned side effects that had hair falling out as well as the other side effects I mentioned above. I would recommend talking to a few different stylists and see what their recommendations are or even try some natural (ie hair masks) methods first.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adele101 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Keratin hair treatment - November 20th 2017, 03:07 PM

Thanks for your advice, I think I'll just avoid the whole keratin thing. Its just my hair is very hard to handle, and its so frustrating! Do you guys have any other ideas on how to maybe tame it more? Or make it straighter? Other than using a flat iron or the keratin treatment?

Keep calm and carry on.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
~Abibliophobe~ Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Keratin hair treatment - November 20th 2017, 09:23 PM

Hey,

If you have a hairstylist that you trust, you could ask them for some tips on how to manage your hair. That question can be dependent on a number of factors, for some people managing curly hair can be as simple as getting the right cut. I know that hairstylists usually have hair products they can suggest such as specialty shampoo and conditioner. These specialty hair products are supposed to be better for your hair (a little bit pricier though). I know, my sister in law does hair, and she has given me some suggestions on shampoos that would be best for my hair. Most hairstylists should be able to give tips. It helps if you trust the person though because you know, it's not as likely, that they will give you bad advice.

Best regards.

Do you love books or are you having trouble finding books to read? Come check out my blog where I will discuss all things books:
https://abibliophobe1989.wordpress.com/blog/
If you like what you see please follow!

Closed Thread