TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

purple hair strands - January 22nd 2018, 01:44 AM

So i'm happy to keep my hair black or mostly black i should say
but what's the best way to do if i want bits of purple (or any other colour) i think that's when you have streaks, but is it really just about putting the dye onto only the bits i want to change. What does anyone else do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: purple hair strands - January 22nd 2018, 03:19 AM

Hey,
If you want to put color in your hair you have to bleach the parts you want to dye. Your hair is black so its going to really hard to bleach to get it blonde. I highly recommend going to a hair salon so you do not fry your hair and have it fall out.

I hope this helped. If you have any other questions about this or other things about your hair. Feel free to pm/VM me.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: purple hair strands - January 22nd 2018, 03:49 AM

You would probably want to go to a salon. I know I was looking into getting my hair dyed a vibrant shade of red and my hair stylist said we could do it but we'd have to do something to get it blond/lighter or else the color wouldn't stick properly.

I wasn't ready for that and I'm in the process of looking for work so I decided to wait. I did get it a reddish color but it's not as bright as I wanted.

If you have dark hair you usually have to make it lighter in order for it to show up. There might be exceptions but my hair tends to hold color well and even I would have to add blond or something similar in order for the color to show.

Best regards.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
matthewmatters Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Matthew

Re: purple hair strands - January 22nd 2018, 03:33 PM

Thanks for both your suggestions and such. there are quite a few people who either go full on or at least flirt with many different colours over the years and their hair looks fine but unless those people know their stuff they probaly left it to experts like you said i should

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount29

Edit avatar

Re: purple hair strands - January 22nd 2018, 06:34 PM

I want to note that your hair won't fall out with just one use of bleach. Use it frequently over years then yeah, it will fall out.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: purple hair strands - January 22nd 2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernweh. View Post
I want to note that your hair won't fall out with just one use of bleach. Use it frequently over years then yeah, it will fall out.
His hair is black, which means he is going to have to bleach it at least twice to get it blonde like you need it and that damages and fry's your hair. Since you have to do it back to back and that does cause it to fall out if you don't know what your doimg I had to do this to my hair years ago because it was black and some of it broke off and fried the crap out of it. So I really think for the first the you bleach it to have a professional do it because hopefully they will do the bleach two different days to try and prevent the breakage. I'm not sure if I specified this in my first post but this is what I meant when I said your hair will get damaged and fall out or break off.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: purple hair strands - January 22nd 2018, 09:35 PM

I actually talked to my sister in law about the whole bleach topic and even hairstylists cannot guarantee that a persons hair won't be damaged. A hairstylist has a much better chance of preventing it but they are playing around with chemicals and no matter how good they are there are mishaps that can happen.

So, it is definitely better to go to a hairstylist if a person is going to be using bleach because the chances of there being damage if they do it on their own will increase.

My sister in law and I talked about this because if I end up doing the color I really want...I will have to bleach it. She said that my hair would probably do quite well with bleach for a number of reasons but she wanted me to know that there was still a chance that it could get damaged etc.

That's one of the reasons I was hesitant to do it because I have relatively nice hair and I worry it will get damaged with bleach and it will never be the same.

Quote:
Thanks for both your suggestions and such. there are quite a few people who either go full on or at least flirt with many different colours over the years and their hair looks fine but unless those people know their stuff they probaly left it to experts like you said i should
There are ton of people that do mess around with their hair but I think a lot of them either have knowledge about what they are doing, have friend's who have knowledge and can help or they go to an expert.

In my younger days I knew people that played around with bleach and other hair dyes a bit too much and it ended up doing a ton of damage. They didn't go to a hair stylist though and that was the biggest issue.

If you end up going to a hair stylist the best advice I can give is that you listen to what they say. I know my sister in law talked about how some people don't want to listen to her advice and if their hair ends up not looking good they get upset. She does fix it for them but they have to wait a while and that adds to their frustration. I admit my sister in law is quite honest about whether or not things will turn out etc. I think most hairstylists are though because if they mess up or are dishonest it could impact their ability to retain clients.

I hope you are able to get this done at some point though! If you do maybe you could share some pictures.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: purple hair strands - January 23rd 2018, 10:08 PM

Hey there!

I would highly recommend going to a hair salon to talk to a hair stylist especially if you are considering dying it a colour that requires bleaching. The hairstylist can look at your hair type and check to see if the style (in this case bleaching and dying it) would even work and look good. They are usually pretty good at giving suggestions on what works versus what won't work.

I know that I have dyed my hair before at home with henna or other dye when I was younger and I have learned that I would much rather discuss it with a hairstylist and get it done by one!

When you are bleaching your hair there is a risk of damaging it which is why it's better to go to a hairstylist. There still is a risk because you're using chemicals and there are minimized slightly because they are professionals.

Hope this helps and I hope you figure out what to do.

Closed Thread