TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
distance Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Am I going to murder my hair? - July 29th 2010, 07:41 PM

I have naturally brown, shoulder-length hair. It's kinda wavy- I can straighten it or curl it, but its definitely on the "straighter" end of the spectrum.

I'm also a swimmer and spend at least 3 hours in a chlorinated pool everyday. Granted, I'm wearing a swim cap at the time, but water still "touches" my hair. I also spend an additional 6 or more hours outside (mixed time between sun and shade) for work and just hanging out.

I want to dye my hair red. Would this be a bad idea? I've dyed it red a couple times before (permanent and non-permanent dye, on separate occasions of course) and it doesn't show up too well on my dark hair. Should I bleach it to get the color to show? What's the worst that could happen if I bleach my hair? It seems to take the dye just fine (no frizzing).

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Psychosomatic Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Amanda

Re: Am I going to murder my hair? - July 30th 2010, 01:00 PM

I don't think bleach and chlorine are a good combination, but if you're dying over the bleach it might not be too bad. Maybe consult your hairdresser about this?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
distance Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Am I going to murder my hair? - July 30th 2010, 03:37 PM

I don't have a hairdresser that I see. I do all my coloring myself. I know in the past when I've dyed (but not bleached) I had no problems keeping moisture in my hair/keeping it from drying out and frizzing up.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

Re: Am I going to murder my hair? - July 30th 2010, 04:02 PM

Chlorine is not good for hair color. I would wait.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Yours Truly Offline
Ashley<3(:
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Am I going to murder my hair? - July 31st 2010, 05:23 PM

as said above me, chlorine and haircolor dont mix well. i bleached my hair then dyed over it, and it looked HORRIBLE. i highly suggest dont do that.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle." <3

Feel free to PM/VM me if you ever need someone to talk to, or just want someone to listen. I'm also always up for making new friends.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: Am I going to murder my hair? - August 2nd 2010, 03:23 AM

Oh yeah like everyone said bad idea with hair color and pool water. I went swimming shortly after I went blond. BAD IDEA.

As far as your bleaching question. The more virgin your hair is and the less times you have dyed it. The better the bleaching will work. I just recently bleached mine to get red on my dark hair. It looks good and all. But I can't touch my hair with color for Id say at least six months. Any coloring or bleach because of how much I have dyed it and all.If I were to put color in my hair right now, it would start to fall out by the chunk. As it seems it seems you haven't done it alot so you will be alright. But I would say wait with the swimming to do your hair.

I say if you do it yourself, get your products from Sally's beauty salon, if your in the US. I don't know if they have this store in other various countries. And if you do do it yourself you will need to get a volumizer thing. (The people at the store will know what you are talking about) and I would say get a 20, not a 30 because 30 is really harsh.)

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
Closed Thread