TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alexx Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Question What do you do with your hair? - September 8th 2010, 04:36 PM

Ahh! I'm at college and I just don't know what to do with my hair. I wash it daily because it gets greasy, and my hair is horribly thin and just generally disgusting.

I just don't know what to do with it? I can't seem to figure out how to curl my hair, and I don't suit it up at all! Any tips or advice?

I have a fringe, but I can't wear that off my face purely because I don't have the confidence to show off my forehead =/ I don't even know why I have a fringe because it blows everywhere and goes greasy really quickly anyway.
It's currently a few inches below my shoulders. My hair is quite straight but I straighten the bottom on a daily basis.

I don't really have too much time in the mornings, but am willing to get up a bit earlier if I can master some sort of style. I tend to wash my hair the night before, too.

What do you do with your hair? Any easy ways to wear it up, or curling tips? Feedback appreciated!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 11th 2010, 08:57 PM

Wash your hair in the morning.
Try a simple pony tail.
Also many shorter bangs so you can style those or poof them out a bit, so they are like curled under and cover your forehead.
Try parting it a different way.
Use gell and then crunch it in your hair for a fun wavy effect.
There are a few options.
Anyway good luck =)

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  Send a message via AIM to MermaidMassacre Send a message via MSN to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Yahoo to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Skype™ to MermaidMassacre 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
AmyIsLegit Offline
(:
Average Joe

Name: Amy (:

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 16th 2010, 10:00 PM

you could always wet your hair, put mousse in and scrunch. i do that if i'm late or something, because it doesn't take much time.

OR, after your shower at night. towel dry your hair JUST a little bit( so it's not soaking.) put the mousse in, and put your hair in a bun, and go to sleep.

i normally would just straighten my hair. since that's simple.

do a messy bun. that's pretty simple. or do a side ponytail(OR bun. if you want. i do that sometimes), high or low.

braid some of it before going to bed, then sleep with it in.

i also sometimes put my hair half up half down.

can't really think of anything else. hope i helped somewhat.

Second chances; They don't matter.
People never change.
  Send a message via AIM to AmyIsLegit Send a message via MSN to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Yahoo to AmyIsLegit Send a message via Skype™ to AmyIsLegit 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Ellie Offline
Oh mai.
I've been here a while

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 18th 2010, 10:40 AM

I brush it. That's pretty much it in the day!

At night I either straighten it, straighten it and then mess it up using gum or curl it with gel. My hair doesn't curl with curlers or straighteners etc but if I put lots of gel in it then scrunch it it curls and holds. Maybe you could try something like that? My friend used to tell me that it was easier to curl hair if it wasn't freshly washed.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 18th 2010, 11:16 AM

Most days I straighten my hair but when I'm short for time a good idea is to put it up! I usually backcomb it a little and then put it up in a messy bun

PM // VM

(#6 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 18th 2010, 01:44 PM

A cute little bob would be good, and you can get shampoo thats specifically for greasy hair. Also, don't use conditioner. Its not needed unless you have dry/brittle/very knotted hair.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Actress Offline
Our broken fairy tale </3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mary

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 18th 2010, 08:33 PM

I agree, I think you could get a cute bob cut and try not to over condition. If you had shorter hair it would look thicker. If you want to curl it then maybe you would be better of with a long bob. You should really talk to your hairdresser about what would suit you.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DemonQueen Offline
amber_teh_shark since 2004
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 19th 2010, 02:54 AM

Usually I straighten it..
Sometimes I put my hair up in a pony-tail and make it so it looks sort of "messy" then I separate my bangs and make it so they're off to the side.

Also, I'm bringing the side-pony back.

I've been through hell and back and came out stronger than ever.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 19th 2010, 05:25 PM

I wash it every morning. It takes too long to dry so I usually just brush it put it up in a bun and spray a little hairspray. When I have the time I straighten it and wear it down.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while

Name: Keeley Siobhan

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 20th 2010, 12:24 AM

If you have greasy hair, try to wash it in the mornings if you have time. It's not a big deal, but it might help. Get a shampoo specifically for greasy, thin hair. Don't over shampoo (like by taking multiple showers and washing with shampoo every time). People with oily hair often make the mistake of shampooing too much, which can actually make the problem worse. Taking one shower a day and shampooing twice should be sufficient. Only condition the very ends of your hair as necessary, since if you get the conditioner up by your scalp it can just make it greasier.

"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 20th 2010, 01:36 AM

My hair gets really wavy at the bottom when it's really humid out, and because it's short, there's no weight to keep it down (when it was longer, it stayed pin straight most of the time). I usually just brush it at night before I go to bed, then brush it and take the straightening iron to it in the morning.
I wash and condition it every other day unless I'm in the pool or do really strenuous activity. I used to do it every day, but noticed it started becoming almost immune to the shampoo I was using and was getting more oily earlier and earlier. Once I changed the type of shampoo and conditioner I was using, I was able to get it down to washing it every other day without it getting gross.

If your hair is getting way too oily, try a shampoo change. If you've been with the same shampoo for too long, your hair starts getting used to it and it doesn't work quite the same way (same thing with taking medicine). Try going with a sulfate-free shampoo (I use the L'oreal EverPure system) - it tends to be a little more expensive than most other "typical" non-salon brands, but it works REALLY well. That might bring some life back into your hair.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 20th 2010, 01:45 AM

Wash and blow dry, straighten everyday. Pretty much high end products because I admire the privilege of having hair =)

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
misconception Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sonic

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 22nd 2010, 12:03 AM

Washing hair every day causes more grease. Its a catch 22 with that one, because if you don't wash it, it gets greasy, and if you do, it gets greasy. If you want it down, use salt spray or hair spray on your hair (Lift layers up, tease it slightly, spray, and comb with your fingers) will give it volume, but it does take practice to get right, a shorter cut is easier to look after, but it is a big thing to choose to do. Fringes are cute, just make sure it suits you

(#14 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Re: What do you do with your hair? - September 22nd 2010, 12:11 AM

i have generally pretty short hair kind of a pixie cut i spike it in the back and make it stick out in wierd directions on top...my bangs cover my forehead

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

Closed Thread