TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
hoongirl Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Annie

straightener :( - October 8th 2010, 08:16 PM

So my room mate spilt mouthwash on my straightener (while it was plugged in)... It smoked a lot.. I waited until it cooled down, and wiped off all the sticky stuff.. I tried plugging it back in, but it just smokes more and smells awful.
Think I should just get a new one?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: straightener :( - October 8th 2010, 08:20 PM

I think they should be okay to use if you clean them thoroughly. They might still smell of burning for a bit after while it burns away the remainder of the substance. But they still should be okay to use, if the liquid hasn't gotten into the electricals.

But if you can afford to get a new pair, and you don't mind doing that then I don't see why you shouldn't get a new pair, if you're concerned about these ones.

Take care.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Alistare Offline
Hug Department- Always open
Not a n00b

Name: Tim

Re: straightener :( - October 8th 2010, 09:04 PM

I once did the same thing to my sisters straightener on accident. xD If i remember correctly her's worked fine, but smelled funky for a few days after. If you have the money I'd just buy a new one... and invoice your roommate!

The world is all gates, all opportunities, strings of tension waiting to be struck.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Need help? Just want to chat? Feel free to PM me.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: straightener :( - October 9th 2010, 01:33 AM

I've moved your thread to Fashion and Style, as I think you'll get more replies better suited to this topic. I think as long as none of the electrical parts got wet it's okay to use.
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: straightener :( - October 9th 2010, 02:33 AM

Make fully sure that you have gotten all of the mouthwash off. The burning smell is from any remainder burning off. This should be temporary.

If the smoking does not resolve in a couple days, you should think about buying a new one.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: straightener :( - October 9th 2010, 01:50 PM

With my old hair straightener I would put product in my hair and then use the straightener and after a while it would SMELL horrible. But after a while I got tired of the smell and cleaned it down everyday and eventually (like within the week) the smell went away. So just clean it off everyday and as long as you do that it should be fine.

It is all up to you if you want to buy a new one. I would put off on it, because your old one should be fine, but if the smell just doesn't go away or if it continues to smoke up then buy a new one. But I would give it a week before going out and buying a new one.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: straightener :( - October 9th 2010, 03:34 PM

As long as there is no liquid damage they should be all right, though if there is they could be dangerous? Just make sure it's dry properly if you want to keep them. If you have the money though I'd probably get some new ones, or steal your room mates ¬.¬

Closed Thread