TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Question Blue Tips - June 11th 2011, 02:04 AM

I went to Hot Topic today and bought a whole bunch of temporary hair dyes in different colors. I figured out that purple doesn't show up in my hair, it just makes it look wet. I just put electric blue on the tips of my hair, and since it isn't fully dry yet they kinda look green. I hope they end up drying blue. I did this without letting my mother know, and I hope that when she sees it she might just like it, and when it's completely gone in a few days I might be finally allowed to get it done(like I've been begging for months xD). But one thing I want to know in case she does say yes, my cousin has the same hair color and consistency as I do and hair dye will not stay in her hair. I'm a redhead with thick, wavy, and pretty healthy hair. Would hair dye stay in my hair? Or would I just be wasting my time and money?

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Blue Tips - June 11th 2011, 02:46 AM

From a girl who's had her hair dyed at least 3/4 of the way blue with both temporary and semi-permanent dyes (semi-permanent being the longest-lasting you can buy)...

No. It won't last, unless you bleach out the parts you're planning on dying, and even then, you have to redye it once every other month. As for your cousin who has the same hair color and consistency as your hair: Your body chemistry may or may not be different from her's, so, it's worth a try.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Blue Tips - June 11th 2011, 05:33 AM

Hey,

I have quite a bit of experience with Hot Topic hair dye. You HAVE to bleach your hair to use it. No question about it.
For shampoo, I recommend Garnier Fructis color shield. I used it and my color stayed vibrant for months and it was supposed to only last 6-8 weeks.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
BluEiis Offline
Uberawesome Ninjaness
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Indigo

Re: Blue Tips - June 11th 2011, 06:53 PM

Yupp, what Fierce said. You'll definitely need bleach for that Hot Topic stuff. I used it like a month ago for my tips, but I got them cut out recently.

I believe in pink<3

I'm not so great with advice. Could I interest you in a sarcastic comment instead?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Blue Tips - June 11th 2011, 06:56 PM

If you want to colour to turn out well then defintely use bleach where you want to put the colour. Unfortunately colours like blue/pink/purple fade pretty quickly so you have to dye them frequently.
I'm a natural blonde, but i've dyed it purple, it has been for 6 or so months. Usually, colour doesn't stay on my hair, but I guess that because I dye it every month it doesn't fade too much. It's a pain to do it so often, but I then get blonde roots and it looks like I have a bald line on the top of my head (my friend calls it my 'landing strip')

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Blue Tips - June 18th 2011, 11:48 PM

Thanks everyone. =)

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Blue Tips - June 19th 2011, 06:01 AM

When it comes to color dyes, you'll almost always want to do darker than what you're planning, as it fades quickly... Bleach will help, but it will also tear apart your hair if used too often, as will any hair dye But yeah, I loved what electric blue and atomic turquoise looked like in the bottle, but even on light hair they look like shit. This is coming from someone who has also dyed their tips blue If you want, you can get bleach at Hot Topic too, and play around with what colors you've got. But if you really want blue, and run out of what you have, try going darker next time =P especially for darkish hair.

Alternatively, do what I do because I have a job, go back to hot topic, and get colored clip-ins or hair extensions :P People think they're real, and they're easy to take in and out. Like for a job. ._. Yes, they look long, but they can be cut and styled like any other kind of hair. Which I'd suggest since you have wavy hair. My friend and I got colored extensions, and she has curly hair. She was too lazy to style the color and honestly. It looks stupid. lol while mine looks AWESOME cause it fits and matches. Just... don't put them on top your head. That looks beyond stupid ._.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
EndureEmo Offline
because you are amazing anyway
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Eliza-Grace/Endure

Re: Blue Tips - June 20th 2011, 03:50 AM

i have natural orange hair, and i had to bleach mine before i started putting colours in my hair... and any colour you can think of thats different iv had my hair pretty much, just not green, but one day i will
i have red hair atm, and i have a red hair shampoo to keep it red, and i mixxed some of the dye with the shampoo.... so when ever i wash my hair, im dying it at the same time i just leave the shampoo in for a little longer than usauall,
and my sister had blue in the tips of her hair, just a tip with washing out the blue dye, if you have you hair fully bleached or what ever, make sure the areas you dont want dyed are tied up out of the way, or it will turn green, my sister had this problem, so she ended up dying all her hair blue
hope you mum agrees with your hair dying, ohh, and if you mixx it with your shampoo, it will last for ages!!! ... untill you stop using that shampoo.... it will still last a while after that..

"Life isn't about how popular you are... What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts... and our minds. This is the reason why we sing... this is the reason why we cry... this is why we live."

ANDY SIXX
  Send a message via MSN to EndureEmo  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Blue Tips - June 20th 2011, 09:51 PM

I just worry about mixing dye with shampoo. Sometimes it has a tendency to separate, so make sure you'd mix it up again every time. Depends on the shampoo/dye. But also, that's literally redying your hair every day, whether it's fully or not, and it most certainly isn't good for your hair. =/

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
EndureEmo Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Blue Tips - June 21st 2011, 01:46 AM

hmm, well ask the place you buy them from 1st them, phht i dont really care about if my hair falls our of what not... i mean bold people are really pretty too ... plus i dont think a wash out dye can do that my damage with a shampoo ;s ...

"Life isn't about how popular you are... What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts... and our minds. This is the reason why we sing... this is the reason why we cry... this is why we live."

ANDY SIXX
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Blue Tips - June 22nd 2011, 12:05 AM

I dunno, my friend's friend recently got an undercut thingy, and she uses that "temporary" dye all the time. Granted, she also uses hair spray and crap too, but when the hair dresser used a special shampoo thingy to take ALL the crap out of her hair, more than a normal wash, it was horrible to see how much stuff was in it. And she does that, shampoo with hair dye thing to make it last longer. =/ Obviously it kinda also makes your shampoo less effective

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
EndureEmo Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Blue Tips - June 22nd 2011, 05:14 AM

ha, i have an undercut and sidecut. and i use extentions, and i use hairspray, hairwax and hair jel everyday, my hair feels so heathy tho.. hmm ;s

ANDY SIXX
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Blue Tips - June 22nd 2011, 11:12 PM

Lol I'm sure it does.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.