TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
crazy.daisy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation HAIR HELP! - August 7th 2011, 11:30 PM

HELP!

I have looked and looked for articles on what to do for hair, but no one seems to know exactly what to do for MY type of hair!

I have:

Longish, wavy/curly hair. My hair isn't either super oily or super dry... it's somewhere in between. I wash about every other or every 3rd day. I also have REALLY bad dandruff. What should I do for it?!? Anti dandruff shampoo DOESN"T WORK! On top of this, the section of hair at the base of my neck seems to be getting really rough. It isn't split... but nor is it smooth like the rest. It's kinda like when you have a strand of hair, and then you grip it in your nails and pull really quick, (almost like you were curling ribbon for a present), it gets all kinky. Anyways, I don't know what to do for it! Please Advise!

In addition to this, what would you suggest I use for:

Protection against flat iron or curling iron?

Good conditioner? (My shampoo seems to be pretty good. It's Suave deep clean or something.)

And lastly, product for cutting down on frizz?

Thanks! My hair is now in your capable hands! Daisy

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: HAIR HELP! - August 8th 2011, 05:08 AM

I used to get dandruff, so I used Head & Shoulders shampoo, which helped (although you said shampoo doesn't help...) & I also used lotion that was made specifically to put on your head where it was really dry (also by Head & Shoulders, I believe).

As for the rough hair, when that happens, I simply give myself a haircut. You're supposed to cut your hair every so often to keep your hair healthy, so maybe it's time for a haircut.

I straighten my hair every day, so I use a leave-in conditioner (I apply it throughout the day & right when I get out of the shower). It also helps with frizz. You can even dab a bit of lotion on your hands to rub in your hair to help with that, not a lot though or else it will get greasy.

I switch up my shampoo & conditioner a lot, but I've been pretty happy with my current stuff: Dove. I liked Tresemme for a while, but then my hair started to get oily. I've used Suave, but I think it made my hair dry or oily. I can't remember which.

Hope this helped! I also apply a shine serum when I apply the leave-in conditioner. Since I started that routine, my hair has become a lot healthier.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: HAIR HELP! - August 8th 2011, 10:05 AM

Herbal Essence Products have always worked well for me. I have curly hair as well.
And you will grow out of dandruff. Treat it now, but even when it happens, it's not a big deal.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: HAIR HELP! - August 8th 2011, 11:57 AM

As far as dandruff and such I would suggest using T Gel, its a stronger formula than normal anti drandruff shampoo. Its got certain ingredients that really help.
http://www.target.com/up-T-Plus-Ther...qid=1312804473

I would say if its really bad use it twice a week. And make sure you are working it into the scalp. I have the worst dandruff and I find since I have been using this in my normal routine. It has cut down like 97%, along with the use of a dandruff shampoo.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: HAIR HELP! - August 8th 2011, 12:06 PM

There are over the counter remedies for dandruff which are stronger than normal and can be a help, you can maybe talk to your chemist about them?? There's also home remedies such as the hot olive oil treatment, although that can leave your hair a little oily for some days afterwards.
There are soo many anti-frizz products ~ John Sorbie is a good one. For heat protection I like to use protective shampoos and conditioners like Toni&Guy before I even use the heat protection spray ~ again Toni&Guy is good for that, but I've been using Tresemee and I like it!!

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
gymnastxxLeah Offline
tumble <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Leah

Re: HAIR HELP! - August 8th 2011, 12:32 PM

i have pin straight hair. its really soft cause i wash it every day... so it rarely gets tangly... but im guessing you won't want to do that if you have wavy hair. i do have a lot of hair products though (i don't even use them all the time) and i've switched around on conditioners quite a bit.

frizz control: garnier sleek and shine frizz defeat deep treatment

dandruff: head and shoulders should do fine... i dont have drandruff so i dont really know

protection for flat iron and curling iron:
this is where things get complicated. if you're talking about a product that can reverse the curse, then i would suggest split end repair karatin protection creme from pantene. if you're talking about something that could stop the damage from happening i would say just about anything from pantene would work. (Im a total pantene lover haaha) but yeah they have a lot of treatment kinda things and one of thems bound to work for you.

good conditioner: i use sauve and i dont know exactly what it's called but it smells like mint so it should say something like that on the front. either way, sauve has really good conditionars and they aren't really super expensive.

hope i helped(:

I wanna fly. So I do gymnastics instead.

I'll just keep holding on to what i believe and oh I believe in you. Give me the strength for the fight and the heart to believe cause I've got to believe in you. I feel so alive.

PeacewithImperfection

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: HAIR HELP! - August 8th 2011, 06:44 PM

I used to get god damn awful dandruff and my scalp also had eczema. I feel your pain girl.

I use Head and Shoulders shampoo and conditioner, I use the mens one though because it doesn't irritate my scalp as much and works a whole lot better.
And once or twice a month I use a shampoo called polytar. It is SO helpful... even though it doesn't smell very nice

I use all Garnier hair products.

The heat defense spray in the pink bottle also prevents frizzing.

I hope this helps a little bit

- Charli <3

Closed Thread