TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ash5150 Offline
Not a n00b

Whats wrong with my hair? - December 7th 2011, 12:31 AM

So, back in september I bleached and dyed my hair blue. It was totally awesome and I loved it. After a while though I noticed that my hair started feeling and looking more and more like wig hair. A few months later I bleached it again and dyed it dark brown. Once again I'm noticing that the texture is super odd. After I wash out the shampoo while showering, my hair feels matted, and I can't even run my fingers through it. It's also coming out a whole lot easier, like, if I run my hand through my hair a handful of strands come with it. I'll put heat protectant in it, I'll let it dry naturally, and I won't even straighten it. But it still gets so ridiculously dry and I don't know what to do.
I'm one of those people who tries to grow my hair out but I just can't stand it so I always end up chopping it all. I've thought about shaving it mostly off (which I've done, at least two times), it just always feels so soft, like baby hair. I'm not sure what to do to make my hair healthy again. :/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Whats wrong with my hair? - December 7th 2011, 01:00 AM

The bleach is probably what's causing your hair to be so dry and matted. It strips out all the hair's natural moisture. I can't even have highlights without mine getting tangled.

Is there any way you can dye it without bleaching it first?

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ash5150 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Whats wrong with my hair? - December 7th 2011, 01:17 AM

The only reason I bleached my hair was because it was to dark to dye it blue, and I bleached it again because I was afraid it turn green from the dye. But now I don't know what to do to help reverse it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Whats wrong with my hair? - December 7th 2011, 02:56 AM

There's nothing that you really can do, unless you cut it off and let it grow back. I had to have my hair highlighted to get from dark brown back to blonde, and the bleach made my hair have basically the texture of corn silk. The hair would stretch really far before breaking, and would come out in chunks if I tried to comb my hair while it was wet. I ended up cutting my long hair up to my chin in order to let it grow out and be healthy again.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Whats wrong with my hair? - December 7th 2011, 01:49 PM

Unfortunately bleach does this, it's best to try not to bleach your hair unless you're going lighter, and never do it too soon. The only thing you can really do is cut it or use a lot of conditioner made for bleached hair to help it heal up again.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Whats wrong with my hair? - December 8th 2011, 03:36 AM

Get some really good conditioner and a leave in conditioner to use along with your heat protector. I use Garnier's 3 minute miracle and it works very well to moistorize my hair (I dye mine a lot). I would trim your hair pretty often so you don't have to cut it all off and just let it grow out.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Eighmeekins Offline
learning to love life ♀♀♥
Not a n00b

Name: Amy Elizabeth

Re: Whats wrong with my hair? - December 8th 2011, 04:31 AM

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS KIND OF STUFF AT HOME! Lightening your hair is a serious chemical change. You are literally dissolving the natural color molecules in your hair. If you have a Paul Mitchell salon or Paul Mitchell school near you I encourage you to get a PM shines and an awapuhi treatment to repair your hair. The PM shines can be used as a temp color or as just a clear coat. It's extremely hydrating and will make your hair incredibly shiny and healthy again. You may need to do this every six weeks for about three months. The awapuhi treatment will help put moisture back in your hair and repair all the damage. Don't shave your head if you're in fact trying to grow it out. Your hair can be saved. I've had many people in my chair who did the same thing as you and after using the treatments I mentioned their hair was in better shape then before they lightened it. Best of luck. Let me know how everything turns out(:

I'm a vegetarian who loves cheese burgers
and a smoker who hates big companies.
What can I say? I'm complicated.

My PM box is always open. <3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Re: Whats wrong with my hair? - December 10th 2011, 04:10 AM

The reason it did this is because of the bleaching. Even dying it to a different color didn't help because you just kept putting chemicals in your hair. If your hair is that dry from bleaching, putting more chemicals on it will never ever help.

Ive died my hair so many times its done that. Then just recently I did a bleach to get really pink hair and it dried it out and then Ive dyed it three times since. My hair feels absolutely disgusting. I am going to the salon tomorrow to get a good six inches off my hair because its just so bad.

So my advice to you is DO NOT PUT ANYMORE COLOR OR CHEMICALS IN IT FOR A WHILE. Also use conditioner a lot. I would recommend a deep conditioner you can get it at walmart for 97 cents. The brand is Dr. Miracle its in a packet and its usually in the ethnic hair part of the isle. I would get two packs and do it two days in a row. You get your hair wet and leave it in for an hour then rinse. Then from there just use a super moisterizing conditioner. I would also suggest going and getting your hair cut a little just to get the ends off because Im sure the end feels really bad.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  Send a message via MSN to wonderbread  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Haruhi Offline
Kpop Fan ~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jorddii

Re: Whats wrong with my hair? - December 11th 2011, 01:45 PM

Bleaching screwed my hair too, I cut it quite short, left a good conditioner in for 3 hours before washing it out and didn't dye or bleach it for 6 months and now it's better than ever. So honestly, stop dying your hair! It'll break and fall out and that's never good.

Closed Thread