TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Really tangled hair ? - January 16th 2012, 04:41 PM

I have shoulder length hair and recently I have found that it is getting rather tangled and knotted and I am having to literally yank my hairbrush through my hair, my hair never used to be like this it's just been recently. Also I recently treated my hair with some Hedrin head lice lotion (sorry if that made you itch or is going to make you itch) we had a outbreak of head lice at work so I treated my hair with some Hedrin head lice lotion, and it seems to have been more tangled and knotted since treating my hair with the head lice treatment, I didn't have any but treated just in case, (I work in a pre-school) so each time we have a outbreak I treat my hair and scalp just to be on the safe side.

But what I'm wondering is this : I know that frequent treatment can cause scalp irritation and such like, but can it also cause tangled and knotted hair ?
And also how do I stop my hair being this tangled and knotted, brushing it does work but it also hurts loads as I have to yank my hairbrush through my hair, I have tried combing conditioner through my hair in the shower, using dry shampoo and leave in conditioner. None of it has seemed to work, is there anything else I can try. I also don't want to get my hair cut as I need it this length so I can tie up for work. Does any one have any other suggestions that I can possibly try in order to at least get some of the tangles and knots out of my hair ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
aloharocker Offline
writer
Average Joe

Name: Steffani

Re: Really tangled hair ? - January 16th 2012, 05:18 PM

If you use a lot of conditioner in the shower and let it soak in for a few minutes, then comb it out while you're still in the shower, it should help. There are also a lot of "detangling" sprays and creams out there.

I know you don't want to get your hair cut, but getting it layered/thinned out a bit should help it from getting so knotted. You can keep the length, but it reduces the volume.

If you need someone to talk to, my PM box is always open.

I've been a member of TeenHelp on and off since I was 16.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lottie Offline
Retro TH'er- since 2007.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lottie

Re: Really tangled hair ? - January 16th 2012, 05:18 PM

Baby oil, a strong wide tooth comb and a lot of time will get that out. Do NOT go from the top of the roots down to the bottom. Start at the bottom and work your way up. (That's for when it knots really bad).

As for in between...I strongly suggest getting some cocoa butter shampoo or some deep treatment hair cream. Also, try and get shampoo for dry/coloured hair. It's less harsh. Dove or Alberto Balsalm are good for knotty hair.

Head lice treatment can dry it out due to the chemicals. It used to with me! You should also get your hair trimmed. Split ends do NOT help with tangles.

(This should really be in the hair and beauty bit xD )

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: Really tangled hair ? - January 16th 2012, 08:33 PM

Lottie is right, so I will be moving this thread

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Really tangled hair ? - January 16th 2012, 08:54 PM

Use a decent amount of conditioner in the shower. Don't wash it out right away. Wash your body or just stand in the shower for a few minutes, and then run a comb through it, then wash the conditioner out. There are also plenty of "leave-in" conditioners and creams, as well as detangling sprays. Those should help.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Really tangled hair ? - January 17th 2012, 05:55 AM

I recommend Garnier's 3 Minute Miracle. That stuff makes my hair super soft and silky. I have curly/wavy hair so I have to use it every couple days or else I can't get a comb through my hair. It's very cheap as well for a good size bottle.

Using that lice treatment could have made your hair more tangled as the chemicals could have damaged your hair shafts a bit leaving it a bit more prone to tangle. Just use plenty of conditioner and only wash your hair ever 2-3 days to get natural oils in it and it should be fixed soon.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
CaptainCastle Offline
Should I call you Captain?
Average Joe

Name: Ry

Re: Really tangled hair ? - January 17th 2012, 10:59 AM

If conditioner isn't working then try tangle sprays. I used to use this a lot:
http://www.auravita.com/product/L-Or...adid=LORE16081
It works really well, you just spray it on the knots and comb through.

It's also a good idea to try not to wash your hair every day, as the natural moisture of your hair should help.

PM/VM me anytime

Joined TH 24/06/05
  Send a message via MSN to CaptainCastle  
Closed Thread