TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Hairstyling This forum is for questions and tips relating to hairstyling, from the trendiest new style, to dye use and conditioning.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

To bleach or not to bleach, that is the question.. - March 21st 2012, 06:16 PM

So, I've been dying my hair for like.. forever now and I went from dying it red to dying it purple, at first I was using Live XXL but I've swapped to directions now cause I can get brighter purples, the problem is, my hair is quite dark so whenever I dye it, it just goes dark purple and I'm bored of that now.

I know the only way to get it to the purple I want is to either wait and grow it out cause I am naturally blonde so it'll probably work but having attempted that at the end of last year/start of this year, I got really sick of how slow it was and how stupid I looked so my only other option is to bleach it. I don't really know much about doing it so I'm coming to you guys and gals to see if it is worth it or should I just leave it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: To bleach or not to bleach, that is the question.. - March 21st 2012, 10:33 PM

Bleaching won't be too harmful so long as you only do it once. Get a good deep conditioner to use afterwards. I really like Garnier's 3-minute miracle. That stuff is full of nutrients that help heal damaged hair.
I've bleached my hair a few times actually and its still relatively healthy because I make sure to condition it lots right after.
Another option is to use Color Oops!. That isn't damaging at all. What it does is shrink the color molecules so that they fall out when you rinse your hair. The only problem is it won't get your hair as light as bleach will.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: To bleach or not to bleach, that is the question.. - March 22nd 2012, 01:41 PM

Thanks. The thing I'm worried about the most is damaging my hair because that would really suck haha but if it isn't going to damage too much if I do it just this once then I might consider it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: To bleach or not to bleach, that is the question.. - March 22nd 2012, 02:36 PM

I use directions and I can say that it does work best on lighter hair.

Like Nicole said though, if your natural hair colour is quite light then you could get away with just buying a hair stripper kit (They're pretty cheap and are like 5 at Home Bargains and Savers etc. ) so that you can remove all the leftover red and purple colours from the permanent dye. The hair stripper usually makes the hair a bit gingerish (at least for me it does) but straight after you can put the directions hair dye on and it'll be completely fine

If you did still want to try bleach then it's not too damaging. It all depends on what condition your hair is in before you bleach it. If you have a lot of dry and damaged hair then bleach will be hard on it but healthy hair can take bleach fine

I hope this helped!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: To bleach or not to bleach, that is the question.. - March 22nd 2012, 03:37 PM

I think the hair stripper idea sounds better, because I just want to strip the dark purple so I can get it a better purple rather than go back to my original colour or anything like that. I'll have to look into that then Thanks for the reply! x

Closed Thread