TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

I feel that my tattoo artist just refused to do black work on my arm - July 29th 2017, 11:10 AM

Well they did not refuse but they kept telling me how stupid it looked and that I should not do it. One thing which they said was you'll look like a black man. You will look stupid I personally hate it. The receptionist kept saying Oh no justin please don't do that i'll cry please think it through.

The end result was I got a really bad ass cover up on a tattoo which was upsetting me and making me want to blackout my arm but it's still not what I wanted don't get me wrong I think it's awesome and I like the work which has been done but I feel like I wasted 110 pounds because I still want to black my whole arm.

I don't feel I can ask them to black my arm again. I don't want the same outrage I feel that they would of done it yes but they were very hesitant about me doing this is a really good tattoo shop they are very good at what they do very popular so there is nothing wrong with the tattooist.

I just feel that they should of handled the situation better I don't know how I feel about this.

My game plan I feel that the best option now is to get all my second sleeve done then look in to blacking my arm out at a later date with a different shop or artist.

I am really pissed off. I love blackout work I think it looks so cool people tell me they love my tattoos don't get me wrong they are very good tattoos but I personally dislike them. I dislike them because I know the faults with them but no body else sees it I think my mum is glad because she did not like the idea but she was not going to stop me from getting it as longs as I am happy.

How would you feel in my situation?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: I feel that my tattoo artist just refused to do black work on my arm - July 29th 2017, 12:45 PM

Hey Justin,

I honestly like when the tattoo artist or piercer tells me that oh this won't look good, or this piercing wont work with your body but I can do it if you want it will just be a waste of money though. I really take what they say to heart.

I think they were coming from a good point, maybe they have done it before on people and they have hated it, and they don't want you to hate it as well.

My suggestion would be o take either black paint or are really think permanent marker and either have someone black out your arm for you, or you do it yourself, and live with it for a couple days or a week and see if you really like it enough to get it permanently done on your body.

Well I hope this helped.
Your Friend,
Essa
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I feel that my tattoo artist just refused to do black work on my arm - July 29th 2017, 04:15 PM

I definitely want it I just can't believe they gave me so much hate for wanting it what's wrong with the style?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

Re: I feel that my tattoo artist just refused to do black work on my arm - July 29th 2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringmethehorizon♥ View Post
I definitely want it I just can't believe they gave me so much hate for wanting it what's wrong with the style?
in my opinion it is very ugly and tacky I think. I mean if you really want to black out your arm there is different ways to do that besides making it permanent. I mean you can wear one of those black sleeves that hide tattoos, or you could wear black long sleeves.I really think the artist was trying to talk you out of it because he was afraid you would hate it. I mean you do have a record of hating the tattoos you get. But I mean at the end of the day it is your body. And just because they gave you their opinions doesn't mean they wont do it for you.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I feel that my tattoo artist just refused to do black work on my arm - July 29th 2017, 09:42 PM

I only have one tattoo I wouldn't say I have a record of hating them at all.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
organizedchaos Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kay

Points: 3,878, Level: 9 Points: 3,878, Level: 9 Points: 3,878, Level: 9

Re: I feel that my tattoo artist just refused to do black work on my arm - July 30th 2017, 04:08 AM

Hey Justin,

I'm sorry the way your tattoo artist reacted to your wanting black work done made you feel so bad. When someone tells you something you're into is stupid it hurts so much. I'm seriously considering getting a tattoo when I'm 18, but whenever I try to talk about it with my family (since my cousins are my best friends) they shoot it down and try endlessly to talk me out of it. It hurts when they tell me I'd be ruining my life and my body, and that it's a stupid idea so I totally get why it bothers you. Especially when it's their opinion they're using in the argument. As you said before the tattoo artist told you it was stupid and they personally hated it, but that's just their opinion and it doesn't make yours wrong.

However while it's important to do what's going to make you happy, you should also take the time to consider others opinions because they see things we don't. Especially with something so permanent, it's always good to get some different perspectives on things and really consider them. That's why I really think you should consider the blacking your arm out with a sharpie that Essa suggested. You may be completely right that you love the idea and will love it, and if so why not just try it for a few days without it being permanent? What's the worst that could happen in trying it? Either you realize you really don't like it that much after all, or you absolutely love it and are completely committed to it.

In the end though it needs to be your choice, and not because of what other people want. You need to live life for you and you alone. If you're not happy with something don't just go with it because everyone else likes it. That will make you miserable in life, and that is the worst way to live trust me.

I hope you figure everything out, and would love to hear what you decide!

Hope this helped,
Kay
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 14,234, Level: 17 Points: 14,234, Level: 17 Points: 14,234, Level: 17

Re: I feel that my tattoo artist just refused to do black work on my arm - July 30th 2017, 04:11 AM

Hey Justin,
While I understand that you're annoyed, here is something to consider. Tattoo artist normally know what will work. My artist for example, refuses to do finger pieces because they fade, and neck and face only if you're heavily tattooed so you know what you're getting into. Its possible that your artist feels the same way.
Also, blackout tattoos are harder to get rid off, as well as cover. A traditional tattoo can be covered, with blackouts cant.

Therefore, probably my advice would be to not get the blackout yet. Since you dislike the tattoo you have, I'd recommend waiting a while and not rushing into it. Take your time and make a decision later.

Cheers
Tort
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I feel that my tattoo artist just refused to do black work on my arm - July 30th 2017, 08:09 AM

My artist reckons black covers everything Apprently. It wasn't him that shot me down it was the other artists next to him.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: I feel that my tattoo artist just refused to do black work on my arm - July 31st 2017, 09:12 PM

If your artist told you that it would look fine then I guess you could go for it. However, having an artist tell you that black covers everything and that this type of tattoo is a good choice is completely different. In my opinion, this type of tattoo is not the best tattoo to get in order to cover up. No matter what route you go to cover a tattoo you are likely going to have to keep that tattoo covered during most job interviews. However, some coverups are easier to hide than others and it doesn't seem like this type of cover up would be the easiest to hide. That being said, if you really want it you can get it done. It's just unlikely that you will be able to fix it if you end up not liking it.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: I feel that my tattoo artist just refused to do black work on my arm - August 1st 2017, 04:49 PM

I think with things like tattoos and piercings, or any sort of modifications which are permanent potentially, people wouldn't be doing their jobs right if they didn't try to put you off of something which you may potentially come to dislike. Perhaps they were trying to offer you other options because they genuinely thought that something else may have made you happier and that they were doing you a favour. At the end of the day, tattoo shops are businesses and if they are popular, their custom may come from word of mouth. If you got a black out tattoo and came to really dislike it, and told other people about this, it may put them off, and so they avoid this by doing something they know is more popular with more people.

Perhaps you can pop in and talk to someone about how you felt and ask them whether a black out tattoo is something they would do even if they didn't entirely agree with it? If it isn't, you can look into other places who might. And if you feel like they treat you badly with regards to it again there is nothing to stop you making a complaint later on down the line if it helps you feel a bit better too.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
Closed Thread