TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Tattoos and Piercings This forum is to ask questions and discuss tattoos, piercings and other aesthetic body modifications.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Can you hear the silence?
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23 Points: 26,546, Level: 23

I feel that my tattoo artiest intimidated me - September 17th 2017, 10:24 AM

Hi it's me again posting

I still really want to black one of my arms out my artiest was willing to do it but he keep advising me not to in case I hate it. The receptionist kept saying no don't get this done I hate it.

I understand where they are coming from though black ink you can not cover it but I really want black work done I have thought about this for some time my artiest was willing to do it they just gave me the whole disclaimer about how he thinks it looks rubbish and you can't cover it.

I feel to intimidated to go back and ask for it done once I have my second sleeve done I still really want it on the other arm.

Should I look for another artiest to do it? The thing is my tattoo artiest is really good and one of the best around.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20

Re: I feel that my tattoo artiest intimidated me - September 17th 2017, 05:09 PM

You've been making threads about this particular tattoo for awhile now, so it really does seem like it's something you want.
As long as you understand all the risks and understand that it seems like a lot of people will find it tacky and bad, I think you should go to him. He's willing to do it, he's only voicing his concerns because he wants to make sure you like the tattoo. It's his job to warn people about stuff like that.

I'm a huge supporter of self-expression so I think if you really, truly want it for the rest of your life then it's up to you. I think what scares people the most to hear you're making this decision is the fact that if you hate it, it will never come off completely or be covered/fixed. I believe you already did hate the way a previous tattoo turned out, so it's just a risky thing to do.

Overall, do what makes you happy, don't mind what other's opinions are of it.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I feel that my tattoo artiest intimidated me - September 17th 2017, 05:17 PM

Hi Jess is it stupid for me to feel intimidated by him now? It was not my artiest who said I should not have it. His boss said that stuff my artiest is the apprentice and he was all for it but the owner of the shop and his wife were like i think that's a stupid idea. I see so many people with them and I am in love and 100% certain on my choice.

Why do I feel nervous about going back there I feel like I am the sort of person who is scared to say what I really want?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20 Points: 20,599, Level: 20

Re: I feel that my tattoo artiest intimidated me - September 17th 2017, 06:05 PM

No it's not stupid at all for you to feel that way! I don't think feelings can ever really be "stupid", it's just the way you feel.
If you are this much in love with this design, do it. There might be people shaking their head while you're getting it done, but you'll be happy about it and that's all that matters. If anyone says anything afterwards, you can raise the blacked out arm at them and give them the finger lol.

It might help to write down your feelings and see if there are any other concerns you have besides being intimidated again. Maybe deep inside you could be doubting it yourself? Or at least wondering if they'd be right?
Just write how you feel and what you know to be true about this situation. I always find it helps a lot to remind myself what I know for a fact about a certain situation, it helps keep me in reality.

If you're scared to say what you want, write that down too. Sometimes when I go to the doctor I'm terrified I'll forget something I want to ask about, so I'll write it on a notecard and they've never said anything about me taking it out and reading it.
If you stay confident in yourself and your self expression, and show them that you are 100% sure this is what you want, hopefully they'll stop commenting about it and just do their job.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I feel that my tattoo artiest intimidated me - September 17th 2017, 08:50 PM

Well I would like to get my 2nd sleeve complete first because getting the black out arm is gonna suck and hurt a load but I just love how it looks I understand it might not be to everyones taste but loads of people have them and I just don't see why it is so disliked?

I think the concept is beautiful and I imagine on my self and I just love it so much. Thanks for responding to my post Jess!
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount69

Edit avatar

Re: I feel that my tattoo artiest intimidated me - September 18th 2017, 04:10 PM

I think the reason the Tattoo artist is advising against this is because it is such an extreme tattoo and it is something that a person is more likely to change. Also, it isn't something that could be fixed at a later date if the person ends up regretting it.

My brother has actually gotten tattoos in the past that he ended up regretting now that he is older. Fortunately, he was able to get a few of those tattoos covered with things that were more meaningful.

In all honesty, I think that you really should hold off on the black out tattoo till you are a bit older because when you get older your feelings about having it might change. If your feelings don't change when you are older than there really is nothing wrong with this.

Some things you need to consider are that when you go on job interviews this type of tattoo is going to be harder to hide. It is even possible that regular long sleeve shirts won't cover it etc. This could end up impacting you actually getting the job unless the company doesn't have a strict policy on tattoos.

I can say that, back when I was 19-20, there were some tattoos I was thinking about getting and now that I am older I am glad that I held off because I would have regretted it completely.

If you absolutely want the tattoo, you can find a tattoo artist who will do it because all they care about is getting paid. However, when an artist tells you that something probably won't look good and you should reconsider...it is definitely something to take into consideration because they only say those things from experience and from the knowledge they have about tattoos.

At the end of the day, it is your decision and you are the one who gets to make it. But, it seems like the tattoo artist has concerns and most professionals in that field and other fields similar to that...do not voice their concerns lightly.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 14,234, Level: 17 Points: 14,234, Level: 17 Points: 14,234, Level: 17

Re: I feel that my tattoo artiest intimidated me - September 22nd 2017, 02:22 AM

Hey
I can see where you're coming from wanting the tattoo, but I also see where the artist is coming from. If this is a half decent parlour they want to give you a tat that will last + be classy. Blackouts are (a) hard to hide even with shirts. A white/lighter colour shirt wont cut it and they can hurt your chances of getting work. (b) if you change your mind there aren't a lot of options to cover it up beyond a laser surgery.
I agree with Abibliophobe and say wait a bit before getting a blackout. Sure you can definitely find an artist who will do it, but I worry that you may change your mind in the future and that would suck.

Its your call, but just my two cents. I don't think the artist was trying to intimidate you he was just trying to make sure you get the best tattoo you can get.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I feel that my tattoo artiest intimidated me - September 22nd 2017, 08:01 AM

Hi

It's a tattoo I am definitely sure of. I am a very shy person my artist was willing to do it but his colleagues were the ones who got all weird about it. I feel to nervous to go back and ask again I could find another artist but my artist is so good why would I want to.

In all honesty this tattoo Is all I want the plan I have for both of my arms will look amazing I just need to get to get the black out work done that's the hard part.

I just don't know how to bring it up to them it's something I really want.

I would also like to make it clear that I have wanted this tattoo for 6 months.

In regards to work I have my arm covered in tattoos anyway I don't see how just changing the color of my arm will make a difference push comes to shuff I'll just put a black shirt under my work clothes.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I feel that my tattoo artiest intimidated me - September 25th 2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAtomicBlade View Post
Hey
I can see where you're coming from wanting the tattoo, but I also see where the artist is coming from. If this is a half decent parlour they want to give you a tat that will last + be classy. Blackouts are (a) hard to hide even with shirts. A white/lighter colour shirt wont cut it and they can hurt your chances of getting work. (b) if you change your mind there aren't a lot of options to cover it up beyond a laser surgery.
I agree with Abibliophobe and say wait a bit before getting a blackout. Sure you can definitely find an artist who will do it, but I worry that you may change your mind in the future and that would suck.

Its your call, but just my two cents. I don't think the artist was trying to intimidate you he was just trying to make sure you get the best tattoo you can get.

Guys just an update I am going on holiday soon and I have not gone and spoke to them because I don't want a new tattoo on holiday pealing away haha.

I feel really nervous about going back and asking though. The one who does my tattoos is the apprentice he does all my tattoos hes amazing. he was all up for doing it but the other tattooist who owns the shop and his receptionist his wife were advising against it and she kept saying Justin don't do that i'll cry if you black that out.

I don't see whats wrong with black work. I have planned to get one arm blacked out then finish my 2nd sleeve then I was going to get a neck tattoo probably a rose tattoo under my neck.

I just really want to get this black work done it's killing me everyday not getting I am 200% sure but I am a really shy person how do I build up the courage to go back and ask.
Yes I have thought about job prospects I have my whole arm tattooed so I don't see how just blacking it out will make any difference to my current job prospects all job interviews I long sleeves and even if it is more noticeable in white then it's simple i'll wear another shirt underneath.
Thank you everyone!
Closed Thread