TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Exclamation Feeling like a boring person? - August 24th 2012, 07:32 AM

Hello guys, I just wanna say that I put this here because it didn't quite fit into anything else...

So I've always had this problem with people. It's not exactly shyness, but not knowing what to talk about. If I do, it's always the most generic stuff you can think of (like where they're from, how old are you, etc.) If it's with guys, it'll probably be about girls, sports, etc. I just can't seem to spend a deeper conversation with people and I feel like a very boring person because of this.

The other day I was eating out with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. Guess what we talked about? The same thing as always: who do you like now? are you dating anyone? where do you work now? etc.

The same thing happened today... I was eating with some close friends and I couldn't come up with anything to say. I was just being very quiet the whole meal until someone told me that I've been really quiet the whole night.

I can no longer keep up good conversations with close friends and even when they think of something to talk about, I find it really hard to relate... I've been trying to imagine my recent conversations with people around me and I just can't help but think that I'm the most boring person alive!

What's wrong with me?! Can anyone relate???

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: Feeling like a boring person? - August 24th 2012, 10:14 AM

I'm the same unfortunately. I feel pointless being around others when I can't contribute anything to their conversations. I simply am usually not interested in the topic as a rather cynic, serious person I am, I find it hard to relax sometimes.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BLove2Love Offline
Sympathizing Member
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chris

Re: Feeling like a boring person? - August 26th 2012, 03:00 AM

I can certainly relate, my friend. You are not alone.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
johndoe77 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feeling like a boring person? - August 31st 2012, 05:53 AM

I know how you feel, I have the same problems. Usually, before I go out I'll listen to music and think of what I'm gonna say it helps a lot.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Feeling like a boring person? - August 31st 2012, 07:26 PM

Yes I've been feeling this recently too, but I realised that I'm actually quite an interesting person, most people are. You just have to find people who have the same interests as you, which I'm trying to do, although it seems like this is the kind of thing that a man may spend his life in search of. My closest friends aren't interested in all the things I'm interested in, but just one thing is enough; my closest friend is very much into exercise whereas I'm not, but we have the same taste in music and books/TV, so there's conversation material there. I'm going to guess you like classical literature and/or ancient history, so perhaps ask around your friends to see if they're interested in those things as well.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
FallingForGrace Offline
Person You Can Count On
Average Joe

Name: Kandi

Re: Feeling like a boring person? - September 1st 2012, 07:50 AM

Nothing is wrong with you. The thing is, the interesting topics and conversations, often include touchy subjects. Most people don't like to bring those subjects up, unless they know they are talking to someone who can be objective and have their own opinions without jumping at you for having your own as well. Many people are touchy about their sides. I suggest you join like a debate team or forum, where you can speak your mind and people have to follow a set of rules (no personal attacks, cursing, ect) That way, you will be more comfortable with discussing things you might want to speak about. It'll also help you find topics that are more than just surface chat. With these techniques in hand, you might be more susceptible to bring these topics up with your friends. Who knows, they might have a lot to say about deeper subjects as well.
  Send a message via Yahoo to FallingForGrace Send a message via Skype™ to FallingForGrace 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maggie Murray

Re: Feeling like a boring person? - September 4th 2012, 10:37 PM

i know the feeling. like its awkward and you dont have much to talk about. im that way because most of my friends kinda leave me out of conversation. so im out of the loop and dont know what say so the conversation just kinda fades away

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Validity Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jay
Location: In the deep, dark, treacherous place called my mind. Oh and Australia!

Re: Feeling like a boring person? - September 5th 2012, 01:34 AM

I am also the same :/ It is actually the worst feeling. My friends are always talking about things they've done and I just laugh, throwing in a comment or two. My friends and I all have extremely dirty minds though so we're usually laughing. but, I can't seem to start an interesting topic. I mean, sometimes I talk about my writing which they all enjoy but -shrugs- I don't know.

Buddy since 18/11/12 LiveHelp Operator since 22/12/12 Add me on Facebook Jay Louise Shorrock!
A whisper in the dark; is better than silence in the light. -Courtesy of your's truly.
My blog is open to all, those whom are easily triggered avoid, it's a story about a girl and her life and how far she has come over the years. If you read it, I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and to NEVER give up!

When you can no longer think of a reason to continue, you must think of a reason to start over.

Closed Thread