TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
johndoe77 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Shyness - August 29th 2012, 05:27 AM

Hey Everybody I need your advice. You see I used to be best friends with a lot of people but i've sorted drifted away because I just can't talk to anyone like I used to. This year is my senior year and i want it to be memorable. I've tried goin' out but there is that thing inside me that holds me back. I would appreciate it if someone could help me turn this around

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: Shyness - August 29th 2012, 08:06 PM

Hey there,

I totally understand what you're going through and it sounds really similar to what I experience myself. Talking to people is a nerve racking thing, and throwing yourself into social situations in which you don't feel comfortable isn't a good thing to do. Maybe build yourself up to it slowly. Arrange to go out with a small group of maybe 2 or 3 friends and so something small like go to the cinema or do some school work. Don't be afraid to go outside your comfort zone a bit and initiate conversation. It's scary, but it gets easier as you get into it! Try looking towards similar and easy interests that you all share in common, something you feel okay with discussing.

Also, don't be afraid to explain to them what's going on. Chances are they'll be understanding and help you out, and that in turn might actually help you feel more comfortable in yourself when it comes to being social. If this is causing you a bigger problem, however, it;s nothing to be ashamed of if you look towards professional help too. They will be able to help you find methods of gradually becoming used to social situations and coming out of your shell a little bit.

I hope this has helped a bit, and if you need any more help feel free to shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to help you out.

Take care,
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FallingForGrace Offline
Person You Can Count On
Average Joe

Name: Kandi

Re: Shyness - September 1st 2012, 08:14 AM

Well first of all, what do you think is holding you back? Is it fear of something or are you not sure why it is that you've become shy all of a sudden? I used to be very outgoing a few years ago, but when I started realizing that people my age almost never had the same outlook on things as I did (I've always been law abiding and very serious) and often got into really ugly verbal fights with me, I began to become more shy and then almost never expressed my opinion. But now, I've learned to say what I want in a way that doesn't seem confrontational or harmful. If you knew the reason why you've become shy, that would really help with giving you some good advice.
  Send a message via Yahoo to FallingForGrace Send a message via Skype™ to FallingForGrace 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
It's Killing Me Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kavitha

Re: Shyness - September 1st 2012, 03:31 PM

I agree with Kandi. First try and figure out the reason for your shyness and then tackle it. Was it any particular incident or did it happen gradually that you didnt even notice? Did some words hurt you? There must have been some trigger. If you can't figure it out then I am gonna go with the first poster. Take it slow. Slow and steady wins the race. Good Luck.

Closed Thread