TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

It's not an annoying habit, it's just that I'm annoyed by it. - March 31st 2013, 09:15 AM

So lately I've been realising that there's something that really annoys me. I haven't been in a position before to fully appreciate just how much it gets to me, but now it's pretty much a daily occurrence.

Basically, I am really bothered by the sound of metal scraping on metal or on teeth. And I've noticed that everyone I know does it when they're eating. They'll take a bite, and their teeth will scrape on the fork or the spoon. And it really, really bothers me. Like, it makes me wince and clench my teeth and just want to shudder.

Obviously I can't ask everybody I know not to do it, and I can't just avoid eating with people. So, does anyone have any tips on how I can not let it bother me so much? I know this is a stupid question, but I'm actually being quite serious here. Help?

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: It's not an annoying habit, it's just that I'm annoyed by it. - March 31st 2013, 04:31 PM

I go through phases of noticing this. And when I notice it, it really, really bothers me. Best thing I can do is distract myself. Any one who has any hints I'll appreciate it too

Take as long as you need.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: It's not an annoying habit, it's just that I'm annoyed by it. - March 31st 2013, 09:18 PM

I hate noises like that too! Also if I accidentally hit my own teeth against cutlery it makes me shudder.

So, you could try listening to music whilst you eat. It could be considered a wee bit antisocial, but if you have the music quiet, then you can still follow conversations if you want, and it should be enough to block out the clinking noise.

Or some mindfulness stuff. Instead of focussing on the noises other people are making, and getting all frustrated because it feels rude to say something, focus on you. Focus on your feet on the floor, the colours of the food on your plate, your breath going in and out.

Or do what I do, and fantasize about torturing people using the thing that's mentally torturing you

But for me I'd probably take the music option. I'm not keen on having conversations whilst I'm eating anyway, due to the fear that I will suddenly need to say something with a mouth full of food . . .

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: It's not an annoying habit, it's just that I'm annoyed by it. - April 1st 2013, 02:30 AM

Oh yes, this bothers me a lot. It only happens when I consciously think about it though.

Like the sound of people chewing loudly? I've left the dinner table before because I could only focus on that sound.

Just the thought of metal scraping on teeth has got me going nuts here. I honestly think the source of this is the fact that scraping metal or a chalkboard inflicts this sort of pain to whoever's doing it- like your nails getting damaged and the metal rubbing on your teeth. Or the sound. Probably the sound.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: It's not an annoying habit, it's just that I'm annoyed by it. - April 2nd 2013, 11:33 AM

This whole thread has me shivering. Eurghhhhhh!

All I can suggest is either telling whoever you're eating with "I'm really sorry, but the sound of your teeth scraping is driving me mad" and asking if there's any way they can stop. Even just making a joke of it "Oh god that noise drives me mad. SOMEONE PUT ON SOME MUSIC BEFORE (name) KILLS ME WITH THEIR SCRAPING!" (maybe that's not the way your humour works exactly, but making it a joke can be less awkward and scary than requesting they stop seriously)

In terms of distractions, if you can find one that works, then fantastic! But I know when something really bothers you, it can be difficult to ignore. But try anyway, anything is worth a try if you're this bothered by it.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: It's not an annoying habit, it's just that I'm annoyed by it. - April 3rd 2013, 12:00 PM

Thanks for your responses, guys. I'm glad I'm not alone with this.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: It's not an annoying habit, it's just that I'm annoyed by it. - April 3rd 2013, 12:10 PM

Ugh... I get this. I'm more irritated by people breathing when they're eating (!) and the sound of chewing. I'm going to have to try out some of these tips, because so far I've not found anything that works!

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: It's not an annoying habit, it's just that I'm annoyed by it. - April 3rd 2013, 02:28 PM

Oh lord, every time. I find this incredibly annoying. Literally cannot stand it. I hate the sound of chewing as well, certain people seem to be incredibly loud when they chew, and it makes me shudder. So you're definitely not alone in this.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
zTaylaHz Offline
You're Beautiful, Children (:
Average Joe

Name: Taylor

Re: It's not an annoying habit, it's just that I'm annoyed by it. - April 5th 2013, 03:45 AM

OMIGOSH. What annoys me: hearing a bunch of people (even if it's just three people) chewing/munching/chomping/making any eating sounds....
I don't know why, but it seriously makes me sick to the point I don't want to eat anymore. Or I want to go eat somewhere alone.

Didn't really help you out there, but just wanted to share my thought P:

You Are Loved

(#10 (permalink)) Old
JustACityBoy Offline
Telemachus
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Carl

Re: It's not an annoying habit, it's just that I'm annoyed by it. - April 6th 2013, 07:16 AM

I'm physically affected by it.
It makes me cringe when I hear that noise, I just want to slap the fork out of their hand.

What lies ahead is unknown. However, in some times, I've sighted several smooth pavements. I myself am the mender of roads, and it is with these we work on.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Temperance Offline
I'm so done with it all...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jess :)

Re: It's not an annoying habit, it's just that I'm annoyed by it. - April 12th 2013, 09:15 AM

I hate it too, but unfortunately, from time to time I even catch myself doing it. And what about people who chew their food/gum like a cow chewing its cud? That habit irritates me to no end. I typically end up telling people off for that one!

~We're all misfits living in a world on fire~

Butterfly, don't fly away on me yet

Closed Thread