TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Sleeping Positions and Dreams? - May 1st 2013, 01:36 PM

Hey everyone!

To be honest, I did not know where this belonged so I hope it's in the right category.

In the last couple months I haven't been having a lot of dreams. Until a few weeks ago. It sparked up my curiosity a lot because that night, I had 3 dreams. I was cold so I slept curled in a ball and this was the night I had several dreams. I woke up between each of them in the same position and got back in the same position. Then I got to thinking... Is it the position? I usually don't sleep like that so I slept curled up again to experiment. I had more dreams for a few nights.

Lately I've been sleeping the way I usually do and don't have dreams often at all. Just on some occasions. I google'd it and all I found is how different positions can cause different types of dreams. I don't believe that, lol. So that begs the question; is positions linked to dreams or is it just a coincidence? Or am I crazy? Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Sleeping Positions and Dreams? - May 2nd 2013, 11:45 PM

I'm not sure. However, I think it would be reasonable to believe that some positions may have an effect on your dreams. For example, if you're in an uncomfortable positions, maybe you'd have a bad dream? Like your body is telling you to move over? I'm not sure though.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Sleeping Positions and Dreams? - May 3rd 2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
I'm not sure. However, I think it would be reasonable to believe that some positions may have an effect on your dreams. For example, if you're in an uncomfortable positions, maybe you'd have a bad dream? Like your body is telling you to move over? I'm not sure though.
That makes sense, actually. I woke up feeling achy, probably because of my position and the dreams I had were bad dreams.

Thanks for the reply!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jason

Re: Sleeping Positions and Dreams? - May 3rd 2013, 02:01 AM

It's not the poition it self but more what the position does to the rest of you. Bloodflow,bone position,muscle stretching. It also could be that you were cold. It`s more than likely since you were cold you woke up earlier than you usually do so this time you remember the dreams. I guarantee you we all dream alot at night(except for certain disorders) but we don't remember it because our brain wipes it from memory. The next night was you thinking that you would dream so you did.(like how people can get better from fake medicine) Its called the placebo effect(i think)

What type of dream was it?

Every heartbreak we go through makes us the perfect person for our soulmates. Shaping us into what they've always been looking for.

Need to talk, PM me.

To people(like me) who think asking for help annoys people I say:
It would bother me if you DIDN'T ask for help.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Sleeping Positions and Dreams? - May 3rd 2013, 03:35 AM

Thanks, Jason. That also makes sense. One dream was at night, parents left me in a dark street and I was so scared. So I went looking for a neighborhood and found this whole street with really bright lights everywhere. Woke up there. The first started out as a bad dream.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Sleeping Positions and Dreams? - May 4th 2013, 05:57 PM

I can buy into this. If I fall asleep on my back, invariably I'll have nightmares. Which was awful when I got bad sunburn on both my shoulders last summer.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Sleeping Positions and Dreams? - May 5th 2013, 03:22 AM

Hm. I've never actually thought about this before. I do agree with what people have said above me. Here's an article I found, though. Have any of you guys dreamed about anything that has come true? Or experienced De ja vu?

"For 8 hours a night (okay, let’s be real: for 5 or 6), sleep can transport you to a different life, one where you, say, snuggle with George Clooney atop delicious, no-cal marshmallow clouds—until your teeth suddenly fall out. Take heart, disappointed dreamers, a new study shows it is possible to influence the content of your dreams, and it’s all about the way you sleep.
Sleep position—whether you sleep on your back, belly, or side—can affect what you dream about, says study author Calvin Kai-Ching Yu, PhD, an associate professor at Hong Kong Shue Yan University. Dr. Yu tested nearly 700 adults and found that one sleep posture in particular is the key to the weirdest, scariest, and sexiest dreams: Belly-down.

Dr. Yu found that prone sleeping was strongly associated with all kinds of charged dreams, such as having sex, being locked up, being smothered or unable to breathe, having a love affair with a celebrity, seeing a UFO, and being naked. How come? The physical nature of sleeping prone—being pressed against a bed—could induce sexual dreams, says Dr. Yu. (So what does that dream about your ex mean? See Dream Emotions Interpreted.)
But prone sleepers—and their spicy dreams—are the exception rather than the rule. Most people sleep in several different postures, but lateral position (on one’s side) is by far the most popular, followed by back, and then belly, says Dr. Yu.
So what do non-belly-sleepers dream about? A small 2004 study in Sleep and Hypnosis, found that left-side sleepers had significantly more nightmares than right-side sleepers, whose dreams evoked more safety and relief. While the jury's out on why this is exactly, traditional Chinese medicine has a theory: The right side of the body is believed to have masculine, grounding, and physical energy, whereas the left side is seen as having intuitive, emotional, and feminine energy. Being injured on one side is said to cause an imbalance of either your male or female energy—so it follows that sleeping on your left side would mean more upsetting dreams.
Regardless of whether you tend toward flying saucers beaming you up with Mr. Clooney, or you’re more of a cuddled-up-in-a-giant-cocoon kind of gal, there’s no question that you need a good night’s sleep. Check out 20 Ways To Sleep Better Every Night."

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/health/sleep-energy/sleep-position-linked-types-dreams#ixzz2SNv2aZaM

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: Sleeping Positions and Dreams? - May 5th 2013, 05:19 AM

Thanks for sharing that Cassie! I've experienced Deja Vu lots of times from dreams.

Oh and Lou, that sounds terrible.

Closed Thread