TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Is 24 too old to get help for my lisp? - September 4th 2015, 03:56 PM

I find it difficult to pronounce the sound "sh" The word "shower" always sounds terrible with my lisp. I also had a problem with R's when I was a child but I had speech therapy which helped a lot. I just could never get away from the "sh" problem. Whenever I listen to myself on a recording I'm always surprised at how bad it is :/

I'm thinking of trying to get speech therapy again. Have you ever had it? Is 24 too old to break this habit?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

Last edited by Make Believe; September 4th 2015 at 09:34 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Is 24 too old to get help for my lisp? - September 4th 2015, 09:19 PM

Hey there,

I think the only person that can answer this question for you would be a speech therapist. I would assume that you can work on this even at your age but it might be a bit harder. I've known people who have had speech therapy but they were children at the time.

You should definitely try and get some names of speech therapists and talk to them about this. They will be able to help you figure out if speech therapy is the right step to take.

I am sorry I wasn't a lot of help. I am wishing you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Is 24 too old to get help for my lisp? - September 4th 2015, 11:04 PM

Speech therapy can help people of any age, so definitely look up speech therapists in your area! I knew someone who was in their early 20's and contacted a speech therapist because he got tired of feeling embarrassed to talk to people, especially during interviews for jobs. He did have improvement, and although it is a little more difficult for adults, with some patience and effort I'm sure it will help you too.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Is 24 too old to get help for my lisp? - September 5th 2015, 12:33 PM

Thanks! Interviews do scare me because of this too :/ I also don't like speaking on the phone either. In my head my words sound fine, it's just when I hear myself back on recordings >.>

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is 24 too old to get help for my lisp? - September 5th 2015, 04:01 PM

I also have a lisp, and I saw a speech therapist for a while about 2-3 years ago, but it is SO expensive (about $100 per session!) because it isn't covered by my insurance or provincial health care (I think it is if you're a child though). I think that, in theory, it should have helped but it would have taken a really long time to get anywhere (after about 4 sessions I hadn't really felt like I was getting anywhere and I didn't feel like I could justify spending over $1000 on the endless sessions I was surely going to need - I was probably looking at $2000 or more for it).

When I ask people about my lisp, they say that they don't usually notice it much, especially once they get to know me. I think that helped me a lot to over come my insecurity about it because for me it is on "sh" "j" and "ch" noises (e.g. jump, chicken, shark). When I was younger, I also couldn't say "s", "r" or "th" but I went to speech therapy for about 8 or 9 years and those ones went away and the other 3 got drastically better.

If it helps, having a lisp on a few vowels can be thought of as like an accent (e.g. Indian, English, Australian, French). We all talk differently. For us, it's because we have some kind of an impediment. Some people will judge us a little, but most people will not think about it for long. I know I am perfect to understand, and I am sure you are too and that is all that matters at the end of the day I think.

Have you ever tried asking any of your friends how they regard your lisp? It might help you to realize it's not as bad as you think it is.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Is 24 too old to get help for my lisp? - September 5th 2015, 04:02 PM

It's pretty normal to cringe at recordings of yourself. Here is an Article I found that explains why. That could be why it's a little harder to detect your lisp while you're speaking.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is 24 too old to get help for my lisp? - September 19th 2015, 01:28 AM

As you're in the UK, you could get Speech and Language Therapy on the NHS. I can't guarantee that you will be seen straight away, but at least you can avoid paying fees. Of course, you could also opt to go private, but then you would need to pay. Different therapists have different rates. To get the ball rolling, make an appointment with your local doctor and ask to be referred.

Whilst it is more common for children to have corrective Speech and Language Therapy, adults can too. In my opinion, there may even be advantages to having it later in life.

It's no secret that achieving change through Speech and Language Therapy takes a lot of effort. You and your therapist would devise exercises that would target your specific problem area. Whilst practising would take place in the sessions, most of the work will happen in your own time. You therefore need to be motivated enough to do it, although I can sense even from your posts on here that you would be.

Hope this helps.

~ Jasmine

Be kind to yourself.

Closed Thread