TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

My dorm room smells weird - December 13th 2015, 07:16 PM

For a while now there's been a gross smell lingering in my room. It was kind of present a few weeks after I moved in but now it's worse. Before, the heat wasn't on and I could just keep the windows open to air it out. Now the heat is on and it makes the room unbelievably humid. So the humanity mixed with the smell is unbearable. One day it was particularly bad when my roommate was asleep and most of the windows were closed. In fact that's the day I decided to do something about it.

The smell itself is kind of hard to describe. It's kind of like a sweaty locker room but not exactly. It makes the air very musty and humid. The only cause of this smell I could possibly think of is my roommate. The room is hot as hell and her bed is next to the heater so I assume she sweats when she sleeps. Also she wears the same pair of pajamas over and over again without washing them. She showers every day and uses the same two towels, again... Without washing them. She wears the same like four or five outfits every day... You guessed it! Without washing them! She also has had the same sheets on since move in day up to thanksgiving break. She keeps her dirty laundry in a bin under the bed. I usually go home on weekends but she stays. I have never seen her do laundry nor talk about doing laundry. She's been home a few times and done some laundry there. Once she went home and I stayed and if I remember correctly it smelled fine. I don't think it's me since I do laundry and I keep mine in a bag in the closet.

I've been using febreeze a lot around the room and it masks the scent for a little bit before it comes back. I really think it's my roommate but before I accuse her I want to make sure. What else could be causing the nasty sweaty smell?

Savvy?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LifeTheRonWay Offline
I live to serve
Average Joe

Name: Ron

Re: My dorm room smells weird - December 13th 2015, 07:45 PM

I'm sure the dirty laundry and a sweaty person in front of the heater isn't helping it!
If you're unsure of what it is you should call maintenance first. Let them come in and check the unit out. They can tell you if it's a problem in the building, and if it's not.. it may in fact be your room mate.

If they don't find anything wrong then it may be time to address the situation with your roommate. Surely she must smell the odor, also?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
JazzyJazz Offline
Associate HelpLINK Mentor
Regular TeenHelper

Re: My dorm room smells weird - December 14th 2015, 01:14 AM

People are remarkably immune to their own smells.

Considering it's only humans that sweat, and the smell disappears when she isn't there, the chances are that it's not being caused by anything other than her. (I would otherwise have suggested it might be the carpet, but that would be a constant thing.)

I think you need to bring it up with her. If it's her clothing that smells, then she shouldn't be as offended as she would be if it was her that was the issue. You can approach it from that angle and focus on things like the bin of dirty washing under the bed, the towels that are never washed, etc. You could even suggest doing the laundry together if it's something she has never done anywhere other than at home.

It's actually bordering on a health and safety issue because the cause of the smell is harmful bacteria (which breeds rapidly in humid conditions). You have a right to breathe clean air and not have to deal with her smells. If she is sharing a room she needs to be aware of these things, and she clearly isn't.

It might not be an easy topic to bring up, but if you're posting on here about it then you're clearly pretty sick of it so now is the time to act.

Be kind to yourself.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: My dorm room smells weird - December 14th 2015, 02:52 AM

Hey there,

I think the above two users gave some really good advice. The only thing I wanted to add is maybe consider talking to a housing staff member about the issue as well. I'm not too sure what your university/college may call them, but it's most likely something along the lines of: Resident Assistant (RA), Resident Advisor (RA), Resident Mentor, Community Assistant, Assistant Complex Director, etc. You can usually find them on the floor you live on, or they live somewhere in the building. If you have a front desk/main desk, ask where you can find housing staff.

Anyway, whoever you find, most of them are trained on how to handle, confront, address, and resolve these types of issues (among many other issues). I was an RA, and we had situations like this often, where roommates didn't get along or one had bad hygiene and the other had an issue with it, etc. The housing staff will be able to give you good advice, help you deal with the issue, and create a follow up plan/action if needed (i.e., moving to a new room, giving fines to the roommate for health concerns, write-ups, etc).

I hope things get resolved soon so you can stay, sleep, and live in a healthy room/environment.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Phantom_Girl Offline
Actual Disney Princess
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Meg

Re: My dorm room smells weird - December 15th 2015, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I've been using my RA's febreeze for the past view days and it covers it up for a while. She is also talking to the resident director about how to approach this since we're unsure if it's my roommate that's causing the issue. I've noticed tho that the smell like of develops when she's asleep and lingers after that. So now the only thing I can really think of is she sweats in her sleep and the pajamas and then wears them over again causing the smell. I went to bed near 5am (it's finals week don't judge) and she at 3:30ish. Around 5:30 I started nothing the smell again. I woke up at 10, left and came back, she was still asleep and the smell was strong.

Savvy?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: My dorm room smells weird - December 17th 2015, 05:52 AM

My dorm room smells like semen. So does my roommate.

I personally would turn the heat down and keep the windows open because I have the inhuman cold tolerance of a polar bear; heat makes smells intensify, at least I think. If that upsets her, tell her she needs to wash her clothes so the smell goes away. It's awkward at first. I had to tell my jackass roommate not to fuck on my futon, slam the door while I sleep, leave his fingernails and toenails everywhere, and to also be more careful so he wouldn't be arrested and get the room searched for weed again. Its only awkward at first, then by the second and third times the awkwardness is basically gone.
I'm leaving... just thinking of that greasy pile of shit makes me want to punch something.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: My dorm room smells weird - December 27th 2015, 07:10 PM

Robert, that sounds appalling!!

OP, I agree with what has been mentioned. Maybe you can get an air freshener that lasts a few days, like one that sits out or sprits the air every so often. I had a roommate that cooked a lot of Asian food and we always sprayed air freshener (just about killed ourselves with the inhalation of it) but it worked.
I'm going to guess it is your roommate that is making the room smell. If the smell only occurs when she is asleep, sweating, wearing unwashed clothes Etc. than that is probably it. That is an wwkward conversation to have but once it is had, it is done with and things should improve.
At least you get a reprieve for now because of the holidays. Hopefully when you return next semester this conversation can happen and things can be resolved. You should not be paying for a room that wreaks.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread