TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

My last name sux - January 2nd 2016, 01:29 AM

I was born in China,and "Wang" if a pretty common last name there but I get made fun of at school cuz of my last name and it sounds really bad.Im pretty sure my last name has changed peoples views about me.Can I chnage my last name without getting married or something cuz its really bothering me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: My last name sux - January 2nd 2016, 05:13 AM

I'm sorry your last name bothers you. You can change your last name if your parents/guardane approve it. But if they don't sign off on it you can not change it until you are eighteen then you can change it to whatever you want. Personally I think you should stick with your last name unless it's like something that has to be done or makes you feel safe.

I changed my last name when I turned eighteen because I couldn't have my fathers last name and wanted nothing to do with him.

But if you ask my opinion I think you should just keep your last name kids are going to be kids. I always used to get called frankinstien Batmann because of first and last name but then kids out grew that. My advice is to just hang in there.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability|
|PM/VM|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: My last name sux - January 2nd 2016, 05:31 AM

I think you should stick with your last name. Kids are going to tease you, but you're also still young. They will grow up and in a couple years I doubt anyone will make fun of you. Besides, it is a part of your heritage which you should be proud of! I've considered changing my last name because I'm not close with my father, however my last name is French which I do identify heavily with so I have chosen to keep it. If you changed your name, you'd be letting the bullies win. Don't let them get to you, it's a really nice last name and nothing to be embarrassed of.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: My last name sux - January 2nd 2016, 02:38 PM

You should respond back to these kids... "Is that the best you can do?" Show them that they don't bother you when they pick on you. It will get boring and eventually they will stop.

Your name does not define you. Everyone gets picked on in their life. If it's not your name, its your weight, your height, your hair, your lisp, something. Everyone has something that can be pointed out that is different. Changing your name won't stop people being mean to you. But learning to be resilient, learning to ignore the bullies, that is a skill you can take with you for the rest of your life.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: My last name sux - January 3rd 2016, 07:08 PM

Hey there,

In the UK you can change your name by deed poll at 16 I believe, so check whether that is possible where you are. I agree with Frankie. When you get older you are probably going to find you're not going to have this problem anymore, so as annoying as it is maybe stick with the name and decide later whether you want to change it, if it is something you really want to do.

Paige

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pein Offline
how the world shall know pain
Average Joe

Re: My last name sux - January 5th 2016, 12:45 AM

Ill go with Lizzie said on this one. In the end yes it sucks now. But by you showing them it bothers you they will keep at it. by ignoring it they do get bored and go else where. the hardest part is just letting it roll off and it not effecting you. once you master that then the rest is cake.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: My last name sux - January 18th 2016, 02:09 PM

Kids can be awful, and unfortunately surnames seem to be a favourite of bullies. I was made fun of for my surname, and I know kids made fun of with surnames that you wouldn't have thought could be used like that.

I think that changing your name should be discussed with your parents. However, changing your name won't necessarily stop people from making fun of you. Have you talked to anyone about what's happening? Schools often have some anti bullying policies in place, and changing your name is a drastic decision to make.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MWF Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Robert

Re: My last name sux - January 22nd 2016, 07:24 PM

Oh God... yeah, young teenagers are the worst. But don't give in to them and change your last name. That means they win. Not to mention, I don't know if you are old enough.
It helps to make humor out of things like this. For example, there's a famous college football player named Jake Butt, which just SUCKS. But not for him, because he got the step on everybody beforehand. Like his twitter handle is something like jbooty, which makes you say, "wow. He doesn't really care. Good for him."
And if he and his family still haven't changed their names, even though they are a long line of Butts, I don't know why you should.

Wish I lived in Canada. UPDATE, NOV. 9th, 2016: This statement has become even more appropriate.
I vow that I will attack this endeavor with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind. Jim Harbaugh

"Being an adult sucks. The only positives are weed, sex, and cars, and I have none of those right now." -Me

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hatred cannot drive out hatred; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread