TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Joined bank accounts? - March 19th 2016, 06:05 AM

Would you ever have a joined bank account with your partner/husband/wife or do you at the moment?

Why/why not?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Joined bank accounts? - March 19th 2016, 11:27 AM

Kind of. I would set up a joint account and then arrange for us both to have direct debits going in every month to cover various bills and payments. But our salaries and anything else would go into our own individual accounts.
I think it's better that way, we both still have autonomy over personal finances and should anything go wrong, we each keep our own money instead of potentially losing out if a judge or someone ordered a 50/50 split.

I've never done this and I'm not in a relationship, this is just the only way I'd be comfortable doing things.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Joined bank accounts? - March 19th 2016, 11:34 AM

I agree with Louise. I'm not in a relationship, but if I was living with someone, I would want a joint account so we could work out the bills, and pay half each into the account. I think it's fair and it's easier to see who paid what, but still respecting the fact that you have your own money in separate accounts.

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Joined bank accounts? - March 19th 2016, 12:10 PM

As what Louise said I would do the same thing. I had a joint account with my partner at the time for bills and such, but it never worked out due to money problems we both had and we had disagreements. I no longer have the joint account anymore, I left it 'cause I had no use for it.

If I am in a committed relationship and we're living together after marriage than I would ask for a joint account. So that we both split on bills or responsibilities. Money would go in for agreed bill payments, even groceries and household items, etc., but I do think that if one partner made more and stayed at work longer than the other should pick up some slack at home with cleaning and such, but that is my opinion.

It's also on personal preference if a couple wants a joint account, not everyone does.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Joined bank accounts? - March 19th 2016, 03:42 PM

I think if you're still paying everything 50/50 then you shouldn't be getting married. If you're treating things as you would with a roommate, I don't think you're ready. When I get married I would want a joint account. I do think both partners should have their own savings accounts for emergencies or if anything were to happen in the relationship. Splitting everything assumes that both partners have similar paying jobs. I think if you aren't willing to support your spouse financially if you make more money or they can't work for whatever reason then you have no business getting married. Of course I think there are exceptions, but this is my general opinion.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Joined bank accounts? - March 19th 2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arterial Rainbow View Post
I think if you're still paying everything 50/50 then you shouldn't be getting married. If you're treating things as you would with a roommate, I don't think you're ready. When I get married I would want a joint account. I do think both partners should have their own savings accounts for emergencies or if anything were to happen in the relationship. Splitting everything assumes that both partners have similar paying jobs. I think if you aren't willing to support your spouse financially if you make more money or they can't work for whatever reason then you have no business getting married. Of course I think there are exceptions, but this is my general opinion.
I kind of agree with this. In an ideal relationship people would pay 50/50 but that isn't always possible depending on how much one person makes compared to another person. If I made more then my partner I would expect to pick up the bills that their paycheck wouldn't cover. If I made less I would expect them to pick up the bills that I couldn't pay. But, all in all I do think that both people should have their own spending money. Something that is designated each month. For example, each couple has $100 to spend on whatever they want. Ideally it would be more but things aren't always ideal.

With my current partner I would have no qualms about having a joint account at a later date in time when we both make a reasonable amount of money.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Noire Offline
When is the future?
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jordan

Re: Joined bank accounts? - March 19th 2016, 10:22 PM

I like the idea of a joint account for bills with separate accounts for each individual in the relationship. Although I live with my girlfriend we don't have a joint account; it would be too complicated, so instead I give her money for bills when she needs it. Her other girlfriend does the same thing: she'll write her a check and our girlfriend will take a photo of it for direct deposit. It's just easiest because she's lived here the longest so rent and utilities are all wired to her accounts.

Love joins
Love unites
Love breaks us apart
The power to conquer here in our hearts
Enduring and sacred
Eternal as time
For love, love alone will conquer all

"A Million," by VNV Nation
  Send a message via Yahoo to Noire  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Joined bank accounts? - March 20th 2016, 07:04 PM

Eh, I don't know. I don't really see the point of having joint. I guess it makes paying bills easier I suppose, but there's really nothing wrong with having your own. My parents had a joint account (mostly my father's actual income, because he made more, but my mom was the one who paid the bills) but both had a couple accounts in their own name. My partner and I have our own but when we lived together we paid bills together by giving each other checks or Venmo. And we give each other money when we need.

I guess I end up siding against a lot of people in the "trust" debate. So many are like, "If you have nothing to hide why don't you share accounts/passwords/etc" and to me if I trust my partner to pay his share, I don't need access to his money? He'll give it to me if I ask, and I'll always give it to him? Hahaha. I guess it could make it easier. We share Netflix accounts and plan on going in on Costco? The real priorities.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said ďit hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Joined bank accounts? - March 20th 2016, 07:19 PM

I don't think I'll want a join account when I'm married. I'd rather keep our money separate and just pay bills from our own accounts. I have three roommates and the bills are set up to my bank account and they just cut me a check or send money electronically to me and that is pretty easy. I just don't see much of a point with having a joint bank account and it just seems kind of risky to me if the relationship ends up going south.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: Joined bank accounts? - March 20th 2016, 07:30 PM

I've lived with my partner a few years...aaand I tend to be terrible at looking after things. So I lose my debit card like once a month. So eventually, what we've ended up doing is using his card for general day to day purchases and my account pays bills since I never actually seem to have a card. We transfer money from both accounts whenever necessary, and I use my card whenever I have one

Take as long as you need.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...

I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Joined bank accounts? - March 21st 2016, 09:15 PM

Hey,

My boyfriend and I have a joint account for savings. We've had it for around 3 years, we'd only been together a year and a half when we first set it up. We only use it for savings, but if either of us need to take some money out of there we consult each other. Our earnings go into our own account and this seems to suit the two of us. So we both still have our own money, just the savings go together. It seemed like the grown up thing to do at 21 lol.

Facta Non Verba
Deeds not words

Closed Thread