TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Friends and Family Everyone has disagreements, even best friends and family. If you need advice about a relationship, ask us here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
max05896 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 4,439, Level: 9 Points: 4,439, Level: 9 Points: 4,439, Level: 9

Telling your parents - May 9th 2016, 05:28 AM

I would just like to explain a little bit about my problem and about how I built up the courage to tell a parent. I think this may help someone else who is struggling to tell a parent about their depression.

So I was diagnosed with depression at a young age maybe 8 years old I don't remember to much about back then I'm not even sure if I truly had depression but that is just what I was diagnosed with. But now I am 17 years old I graduate high school this month and I currently have ADD and am taking adderal which helps tremendously for school.

But here's why I believe I have depression. I can not have a full conversation with my parents or brother. It's always just yes or no.I don't talk much during school. I don't really have any friends nobody try's to contact me to hangout with them which I believe is another cause to it . I will sometimes think about how nobody cares about me and how my life sucks and I'll just start crying.

But finally I got the courage to tell my parents I need help. My mom was sitting on the couch watching tv and I went and sat down by her for a bit and i said hey I think we should go see the doctor because I don't think it's right how I barely talk and I'm Always so dull. (I was going to say how I wasn't happy but she took the words out of my mouth). She said yea I think you might be a little depressed. I said yea maybe . She totally agreed we should go.

I was just really happy I got the courage to do this and I really wanted to share it. But it is really not that hard to tell your parents these things trust me !
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38 Points: 70,932, Level: 38

Re: Telling your parents - May 9th 2016, 06:19 AM

Hello!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am also very glad you built up the courage to get help and I do hope it is helping. Remember if you're ever struggling then we're always here for you too. In the meantime I hope things keep goin onwards and upwards for you!

’Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.’

Big sis, always and forever, 15/04/2018
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 14,234, Level: 17 Points: 14,234, Level: 17 Points: 14,234, Level: 17

Re: Telling your parents - May 9th 2016, 07:18 AM

Hey mate,
I'm so glad you managed to tell your parents and are going to the doc.
I told my parents too, and we went to a doc, and i'm on anxiety pills. But I'm so glad things are getting better for you. If you need to talk for any reason, PM me.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount30

Edit avatar

Re: Telling your parents - May 9th 2016, 09:52 AM

Hey!

It's great that you mustered up the courage to talk to your parents about this and I'm glad things went well for you! Thank you so much for sharing this with us, it's very kind of you to want to encourage others to open up to their parents too. I'm sure this will help anyone who's having second thoughts about it. Again, thank you for sharing!

Remember that we're always here for you too! Don't hesitate to reach out to any of us if you need anything. Personally, I love when a new notification is waiting for me when I log in. Brightens my day, to be honest.

Take care!
Love. - xx
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Green Yoshi Offline
The screwdriverneedsgas!
I've been here a while

Name: carwithnogas

Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20 Points: 19,057, Level: 20

Re: Telling your parents - May 9th 2016, 01:36 PM

Sup

I'm so proud of you.. you managed to tell your parents about your feelings, and the fact that you're about to improve really quickly means that its the right step You're an inspiration and I hope that the rest of us will derive some positive encouragement from your post!

Perhaps its also better if you tried to mingle and mix around. There's nothing in your way.. think positive, take a chance and you'll definitely be surrounded by many bosom friends who will care about you. The key is to put yourself in situations where other people can get to know you for the awesome person you are!

It's called a tunnel because there's ALWAYS a light at the end.

rant to me if there's anything!

http://www.teenhelp.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=27464

screwdriverneedsgas

As usual... pm me if you are ever having a tough day, and I'll respond immediately.

You guys deserve to be happy no matter what.. okay? You people are a bunch of lovelies ... and no matter what, you people deserve to be happy.
Closed Thread