TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Svetlana Volkova

Unhappy just bs and my opinion - August 22nd 2016, 07:20 PM

So i've recently found out that a staff member was reading my pm messages and gave me a warning because of "sexual" content. I'm VERY upset because this was awhile ago and I haven't spoken to this person recently at all. I wasn't posting anything bad in forums or anywhere else so I'm really upset. I feel violated and very uncomfortable with pm now because I feel like someone is stalking my messages. I made a report but I doubt anything will be done because this person is a part of staff, i feel like this person shouldn't be on staff just because i feel a bit harassed by her. she even said i'm at the age pf consent (i'm 16, i thought the age of consent was 18) and idk. I DO understand that I probably should be speaking in a sexual manner to another user, but i NEVER bullied, harassed,or made someone feel bad. this was completely private and not intended to disturb anyone and I completely forgot about it.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: just bs and my opinion - August 22nd 2016, 07:44 PM

This must feel pretty bad, having someone read what you thought was a private conversation. However, when you signed up for the site you agreed to the Code of Conduct as well as the Privacy Policy. The Privacy Policy states:
Quote:
Any content submitted to TeenHelp, whether publicly or privately, may be reviewed in full by the Project Coordinators and selected other senior staff members at any time. This includes Private Messages on the Support Forums, which may be selectively monitored based on certain key words. These random selections are made in order to protect users from unsuitable messages.
It sounds like maybe something you said contained a key word of something that goes against the Code of Conduct (CoC). While you weren't being a bully, explicit sexual content does go against the CoC. More than likely no one is actively reading your PMs, but rather it was probably flagged by an automated system. As long as your messages follow the CoC you should be okay in the future. If you're really uncomfortable with the thought that certain staff members can have access to your messages, you could always see if the other user is open to communicating off of TH using something such as Skype. Also to make things clear, PMs in chat are part of chat logs as well. While off-site communication might be a little more private it's still important to remember that anything on the internet never really fully disappears and others may have access to what you send someone in private.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Svetlanavolkova Offline
Svetlana Volkova
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Svetlana Volkova

August 22nd 2016, 09:19 PM

i'm not allowed to use things like that, and it's just annoying having someone harass me....saying stuff like age of consent is 16 lol what kind of person especially STAFF says that?

should NOT**** (first post)

Last edited by arepo; August 22nd 2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. :)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: just bs and my opinion - August 22nd 2016, 09:48 PM

It sounds like the staff member was trying to be helpful. A lot of people aren't aware of the age of consent for their state. For example, in my state a 16 year old can have sexual relations with someone up to 25 years old. While in Washington a 16 year old can have sexual relations with anyone over 16, regardless of the years between them. This means that they were probably informing you that while sending sexual messages on TeenHelp isn't allowed, if both parties are the age of consent where they live (I'm not sure how it works across states or countries) it's not illegal. As long as you don't do anything that breaks the CoC, I'm sure no one will message you again. However, sometimes it can take up to months for staff to give a warning because there is a fairly lengthy process they go through to look at a case and make sure rules were broken.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: just bs and my opinion - August 23rd 2016, 12:22 AM

as the user above said, what goes on this site (whether in a private message or not) can be read by a staff member and probably will be read by them if there's a word in there that triggers the system or something.
i know it might seem annoying for something personal and consensual between the two of you, but just think -- this method can be used to help stop troll members from harassing and attempting to hurt members who might not be in the right state of mind.

if you don't want staff members potentially reading your messages, you can always give out another way for an online friend to contact you, such as email or kik. obviously i wouldn't recommend giving out numbers or anything, but yeah.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#6 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: just bs and my opinion - August 23rd 2016, 01:14 AM

Hey.

As previously stated the Privacy Policy states the following:
Quote:
Any content submitted to TeenHelp, whether publicly or privately, may be reviewed in full by the Project Coordinators and selected other senior staff members at any time. This includes Private Messages on the Support Forums, which may be selectively monitored based on certain key words. These random selections are made in order to protect users from unsuitable messages.
To be clear, only Project Coordinators for the most part are able to view Private Messages a user sends. Not just any Staff member. Although Rob may have another Staff member address the messages to the user in question. Private Message history is also only viewed when absolutely needed, such as when there is a considerable amount of evidence that the Terms of Service are being violated.

The following is also stated in the Privacy Policy:

Quote:
TeenHelp cannot guarantee the confidentiality of any information disclosed to non-staff members. TeenHelp accepts no responsibility for the misuse or distribution of any personal information that users voluntarily disclose to non-staff members. TeenHelp does not recommend that information such as surnames, phone numbers and street addresses are disclosed anywhere on TeenHelp, even to trusted parties.
I just want to warn, that if you decide to talk to users off of TeenHelp, anything that occurs by text or on websites such as Facebook, Kik, etc. can not be handled by TeenHelp's Moderation Team if something were to arise. Such as the user asking or saying inappropriate or mean things, harassing, stalking, or otherwise. You can report incidences that occur off-site, but there is often little TeenHelp can do about it.

I also want to quote the following from the Code of Conduct:

Quote:
All content posted on TeenHelp should be suitable to be viewed by an audience as young as thirteen (PG-13).
Such inappropriate content might include, but is not limited to, explicit descriptions (beyond what is needed to receive advice) or images of: Sex
This includes Private Messages as well. Beyond the obvious reasons for all content on TeenHelp being PG-13 and not explicit is because not every user may put their real age. One not so obvious example is that someone may say they are an adult, but are actually not at the age of consent for their country or state. Alternatively, someone could say they are younger when they are not. It is always important to try to stay vigilant and safe on the Internet at all times.

As always, you are welcome to submit a dispute about any matter that was handled by a Moderator if you feel it was unjust.

All the best,
Oliver.

“There is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.” — Nikita Gill

Last edited by arepo; August 23rd 2016 at 01:35 AM.

6 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread