TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
elec Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abbey

Question Does anyone else feel like this? - November 6th 2016, 12:40 AM

This is just my feelings. I'm curious if anyone else has similar problems. (Warning I ramble a lot.)
My first problem is all I want is to just grown up. I have no interest in being a teenager or having teenager experiences. I want to be an adult so I can do all the thing I want to do it my life. I feel like being a teenager is just a waste of time.
I know it probably sounds stupid. After all I'll be an adult in a few years and being a teenager is supposed to be the best part of you life but I just want to skip my teenager years and be an adult already.
I also hate nearly every teenager I know. I feel like I'm more mature then them and they're just stupid. (No offence and sorry if I sound pretentious but that's just how I feel.) I have no friends and have no desire to make any so that's not a problem. The fact that I have to spend hours around them irritates me. I really hate school because of them. They don't bully me or anything but just being in the same building as them makes me angry.
That's basically all. I haven't heard of anyone else having similar problems, especially the adult one. I don't know if I described it very well but I hope you get the general idea. What I want to know is:
Does anyone else feel like this?
Any advice for dealing with this?
Thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Narrative. Offline
galaxy salad

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Does anyone else feel like this? - November 11th 2016, 04:09 AM

Hey there,

I'm sorry you haven't received a response to this yet! I think the thing to remember with what you're feeling is that there will always be a trade-off. For example being a teenager means having less responsibility but also less freedom, while being an adult can mean you have more freedom but also a lot more responsibility. The teenage years aren't the best for everybody, so I don't think it's bad to look ahead to your future and to feel like you want to be an adult already - but just remember that you're only a teenager once, but you'll then be an adult for the rest of your life. Try to enjoy it while you can.

As for being annoyed with everyone around you, maybe it would help if you found other people to connect with. I know you said you're not really looking for friends, but maybe you could look into joining clubs or groups so at least you can have something in common with some people your age. Talking with them about a common interest can also make it a lot more bearable and even enjoyable. I would also recommend focussing on yourself rather than people around you; by that I mean that if there's nothing you can change about your surroundings, you might need to change something about yourself. If being around people you don't feel connected to is making you angry or upset, then think about what you can do to work through it or take your mind off it. For example if I'm around people I don't really enjoy spending time with, I often make up stories or sing songs in my head so that I'm more focussed on that than on whatever's making me unhappy. Does that make sense?

Also, to answer your original question: I didn't really have the same problem when I was younger, as I didn't mind being a teenager all that much and didn't feel like it was holding me back from anything, but I did have some friends who couldn't wait to grow up. They were all excited to start driving, to get jobs, to start travelling, and to essentially move on from high school. And while they did do all those things, it's not all fun and games: once they started doing them, they couldn't go back to being as carefree as they were as teenagers. They'd entered "the real world" and then had to figure out where they stood in a context other than high school.

This is getting a little rambly so I'll end it here, but I just want you to know that what you're feeling isn't bad at all, and that your teenage years won't last forever so even if you can't enjoy them, try to tolerate them as much as you can.

just because it hurts to go on
doesn't mean the battle can't still be won
;

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Does anyone else feel like this? - November 12th 2016, 01:26 AM

I used to hate being a teenager. I wanted to grow up and get out of my household as soon as possible. But, I am an adult now and I hate it for other reasons. I would suggest that you try and find things you do enjoy that will make your teenage years go by faster. Maybe get into volunteering.

It sounds like you are a more solitary person but that might have to do with the fact that you don't connect with your peers. I know, for myself, I connect to people that are older than me. I have friends that are as old as 65. It is a unique setup but it works well for me.

I think that what you are experiencing is normal for some people. I don't think a lot of people experience these feelings but there are some such as myself.

I wish you the best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread