TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SSJ4 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

When I turn 19, I feel like my youth/teen years are over. - December 5th 2016, 04:58 PM

I dunno why, but the idea of turning 19....doesn't really appeal to me tbh. I feel like when I hit that age, I'll lose my youth/teen years are over. Like I was looking at young adult fiction(which I love) and saw the age bracket was only 12-18, and after that, like the idea of being 19 makes me feel like youth is coming to pass as like, I can't relate to the genre anymore for example? I don't know how to deal with this thought/shake it off, any thoughts

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: When I turn 19, I feel like my youth/teen years are over. - December 5th 2016, 05:09 PM

Turning 19 doesn't mean you can't enjoy things like YA books. I'm 24 and I still highly enjoy books from that genre. When you turn 19 it isn't like everything changes instantly, you aren't really going to be any different. I'm sure as you get older you'll start losing interest in things that you enjoyed as a teenager, but you'll also gain new interests just like when you went from being a child to a teenager. There's still so many great things beyond 19, you're very far from losing your youth.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: When I turn 19, I feel like my youth/teen years are over. - December 5th 2016, 05:19 PM

I agree, just because you turn 19 doesn't mean you won't be able to continue reading YA fiction. I still read YA fiction periodically and I am 27. I think the age bracket for YA novels is more for parents to be able to decide if their child is old enough to be reading that novel. It isn't set to tell older adults that they shouldn't be reading or enjoying those novels. In truth I read books for much younger kids sometimes as well.

I think as you get older and mature there might be some hobbies you enjoy less but you will gain new interests and hobbies. I remember in High school I used to tend to read more YA Novels than I did adult novels but now I tend to read adult novels more. I am sure there are other things that have changed for me since then but there are a lot of things that have not changed.

Just because you are getting older doesn't mean things are gonna change quickly. The changes that occur are more gradual.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SSJ4 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: When I turn 19, I feel like my youth/teen years are over. - December 5th 2016, 05:45 PM

YA was just an example, like i.e I loved being able to relate to those series but now I feel like I won't be able to. Just in general, I feel like when I hit 19, my teen years 'socially' will be over if that makes sense.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: When I turn 19, I feel like my youth/teen years are over. - December 5th 2016, 10:02 PM

Well, I mean, at some point you probably won't relate to the YA novels as much but I doubt it will happen that fast. I still read a number of YA novels into 19 but I also always preferred adult novels.

Technically, your teens don't end until you are 20 and even then you still have the same friends. You'll change and grow but as stated you'll gain new interests. It might seem like things are going to end but the reality is that its more of a gradual process. Those changes won't all happen at 19 they'll occur into your 20's. You might not even really notice those changes because in reality not a lot changes.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: When I turn 19, I feel like my youth/teen years are over. - December 6th 2016, 03:14 AM

Hey there!

Turning 19 definitely has pros and cons. I am 26 and the only books I read are young adult books. I find that normal adult books are way too hard and long to read. I see that you mentioned that you feel like you might not connect with the stories from young adult books, I have a couple friends that think that, but then they still do now that they are in their 20's.

Just because you're turning 19 doesn't mean that that stage of your life is over. You're just beginning a new experience. I sort of see 19 as a lay over. It's your last year of "teen" but it's also considered an "adult". I hope this makes sense. Try not to think about that and just enjoy what you read etc.

Best of luck!
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#7 (permalink)) Old
SSJ4 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: When I turn 19, I feel like my youth/teen years are over. - December 6th 2016, 04:51 AM

I can't explain it, but I feel like at that age, I won't be able to identify as a teen if that makes sense.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: When I turn 19, I feel like my youth/teen years are over. - December 6th 2016, 11:52 AM

Hey there,

I think the change of identifying as an adult instead of a teen is different for everyone. It is possible that when you turn 19 you won't be able to identify as a teen any longer but it is possible it will take a bit longer for that change to occur.

I never really identified as a teen. I always felt more like an adult than anything else so when I did become an adult there were not a lot of changes.

I think that stressing over this will cause you to not enjoy the time up until you turn 19 though. You should try to do some things to take your mind off of the concerns you have regarding the changes that you fear might take place when you turn 19.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
SSJ4 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: When I turn 19, I feel like my youth/teen years are over. - December 6th 2016, 03:16 PM

I guess I can't help worrying because ˆ will be 19 in January

(#10 (permalink)) Old
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: When I turn 19, I feel like my youth/teen years are over. - December 6th 2016, 08:42 PM

Do you have any friends who have turned 19 recently? It might help to talk to someone who is 19 and get their opinion. The truth is, it has been a good few years since I have been 19 and so I have adjusted to the changes that occur at that age. So, I might not be able to help you as much as someone who has just recently turned 19.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: When I turn 19, I feel like my youth/teen years are over. - December 9th 2016, 08:52 PM

You are getting older and it's natural to be nervous about change. But with change comes new experiences too. We all have to go through the seasons of our lives. And when one season ends, another beings. Perhaps making a list of all the experiences you are looking forward to will help you get excited about this new upcoming time.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread