TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
smoke Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 11th 2017, 03:36 AM

I mean I know they are technically, but socially is a 19 year old a teenager?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 11th 2017, 03:44 AM

Hi there,

I honestly think that they would still be considered a teenager. I don't consider someone an adult until they turn twenty.. I mean nineTEEN it says teen right there

But it's a personal decision.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Glass Slipper Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 11th 2017, 04:57 AM

To be once you turn eighteen you are considered legal but you still are a teenager until you are twenty.

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Sophrosyne Offline
The Cute Half

I can't get enough

Name: Raven

Re: Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 11th 2017, 05:27 AM

Technically they are still a teenager but it also depends on the actual person, like maturity levels and who they hang out with. If they hang out with people over 20 then socially they would be grouped with them and no longer classified as a teenager. It's really a personal thing unless you were talking about all 19 year olds, which then yes to group them all into one, they are still a teenager.

Senior HelpLINK Mentor | Forum Moderator
Clothed in strength and dignity,
and laughs without fear of the future.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 11th 2017, 05:48 AM

While someone is still technically a teenager at 19, I consider them to be an adult at 19. The legal age where I am is 18, so I consider 18 and 19 to be an adult. However, I specifically think of them as a young adult.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
Do you believe in ghosts?
TeenHelp Addict

Re: Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 11th 2017, 09:03 AM

That's an interesting question, and as you can see there's a bit of variation in responses. To me, a nineteen year old is still a teenager simply because, technically, a teenager is someone in their teen years. However, if you're thinking of it being a case of teenager as opposed to adult, then that's a lot more subjective. For example a nineteen year old who's just finished high school and has never held a job might be less mature or socially responsible than an eighteen year old who dropped out of school at sixteen and has been working full time since.

Like the person above me, I consider that kind of age group to be young adults or adolescents; I don't think that you automatically become a responsible adult when you hit twenty. It's also difficult to have a definite cutoff because of the differences between different countries or states. For example I went to the US when I was 18, at which point I was legal for just about everything in my country - but then on my holiday I couldn't do several of the things I was legally allowed to do back home. Does that mean I'm an adult at home but a teenager overseas?

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount16

Edit avatar

Re: Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 11th 2017, 09:54 AM

Technically, 19 is still a teenager. I consider a person to technically be an adult when they're in their twenties. However, in some places the law recognizes teens as an adult upon turning 18.

In a personal perspective, maturity has a lot to do with how you view a person in the social sense. Age doesn't mean anything when it comes to personal maturity. An adult can have the maturity of a young teenager, just as a young teenager can have the maturity of an adult.

Just like many things, there's a technical factor and another factor that depends on the individual's personal view.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 11th 2017, 12:37 PM

I don't get why they can't be both a teen and a young adult? Socially I think that means maturity wise? The ages 16-19 are"older teens" They may be thinking about college and getting jobs, they may not have as much *hormones flying everywhere* like people say but they're still teens. Best to look at each person individually because they range in social skills and maturity and how adult-like they are.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 13th 2017, 02:43 AM

When I turned 16 I had most all adult choices. I left home and made my own choices. At 17 I was living with roommate and paying rent. It all depends on if someone left home and began supporting themselves at a young age as I did. It also depends on how someone matures. I matured quickly and didn't have the restrictive rights legally as someone 16 would have. I was considered an adult.

Someone can be 25 and act like a child and sure they are an "adult" but do they actually hold the maturity of an adult? An age is an age. Laws are laws. Comes down to how someone handles themselves and if they are mature.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Hanna24 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 13th 2017, 11:43 AM

I do. And I'm a teenager.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 17th 2017, 12:38 AM

Nineteen is just a number, it's just the count of how many times the Earth has gone around the sun since an individual was born. One nineteen year old can be much more mature and responsible than another nineteen year old.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Disclosure. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Re: Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 17th 2017, 06:57 AM

Even though you're not considered to be an adult until you turn 18, in some instances, being 19 is still a teenager until you turn 20.

But as other members have said, it depends on your maturity level.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Do you consider a 19 year old to be a teenager socially? - January 18th 2017, 01:19 AM

Personally to me 19 has two meanings. There's the physical age of the person, and their mental age. Not all 19 year olds I've met come across as 19, some come across a lot younger, some much older. For me it depends on how that 19 year old acts in order for me to determine how I perceive them socially.

Life is for living, not for losing.

Closed Thread