TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
im just a dead man walking
Regular TeenHelper

Name: .

Need help asap - May 30th 2017, 07:31 PM

Alright a friend of mine has a youtube channel he just uploads videos of some guy doing jackass stunts he has 3.5k subs and its growing like crazy and he is wanted to sell it to me for 70 euros when i have it my plan is to delete every thing and change the channels name and make it in to a gaming channelbut are there any down sides to it the resom i want to buy it is because of the subs and the growing amount can any give me tips or advice i know the person very closly so i trust him his bff here are the social blade tabhttps://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCP-1mtKpm8K6B_XzHnnTObA/futureprojections

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Need help asap - May 30th 2017, 07:53 PM

Quote frankly, it's a poor business plan. The people who are subscribed are subscribed because they like the content. There's a good chance it'd lose most of the subscribers when they realize it changed. Just start your own channel, or you could try starting a twitch channel.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Need help asap - May 30th 2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightblood. View Post
Quote frankly, it's a poor business plan. The people who are subscribed are subscribed because they like the content. There's a good chance it'd lose most of the subscribers when they realize it changed. Just start your own channel, or you could try starting a twitch channel.
thank you very much for your reply but an other reson why i want to buy it from him is because when i take over the channel and upload gaming videos they wil get alot of views wich make the videos come up higher when you search a video and that will get you even more subs and views and then what i think will get you people that like gaming stuff

it takes a strong man to deny whats right in front of him and if the truth is undeniable you create your own

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Need help asap - May 30th 2017, 08:21 PM

Why do you think they'll get more views? A person has to watch a certain portion of a video for it to actually count as a view, and since it will be gaming rather than the videos people subscribed for they probably won't watch more than a few seconds.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Need help asap - May 30th 2017, 08:33 PM

Personally, if I had subscribed to a channel that posted a certain type of video (ie stunts in this case) and it suddenly changed from that to gaming, I would unsubscribe rather quickly and not be too impressed about the change.

Perhaps instead of buying your friends channel, you create your own and build up your following.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
AMA on teenhelp Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Need help asap - May 30th 2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querencia. View Post
Personally, if I had subscribed to a channel that posted a certain type of video (ie stunts in this case) and it suddenly changed from that to gaming, I would unsubscribe rather quickly and not be too impressed about the change.

Perhaps instead of buying your friends channel, you create your own and build up your following.
Do people even unsubscribe like i never unsubscribe because its not worth my time

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Need help asap - May 31st 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMA on teenhelp View Post
Do people even unsubscribe like i never unsubscribe because its not worth my time
Definitely. Personally I unsubscribe from channels I no longer watch, which is usually because either I've changed so that I no longer enjoy the content as much as I used to, or the content has changed and it's no longer something I'm interested in. Many people prefer keeping things neat and organised by having fewer subscriptions rather than having to scroll through a seemingly endless feed of things they don't actually want to watch. YouTube has also been known to unsubscribe people from channels they haven't ''engaged with'' in a while, so that's also something to keep in mind.

And even if they don't unsubscribe, their subscription won't do you any good if they're not engaging with your channel. It's much better to have a small group of active subscribers who are watching your videos and commenting on them and connecting with you as a creator rather than a massive amount of subscribers who never watch your videos because they just never bothered to unsubscribe. I know that taking over an already active channel may seem like an easy way to get a foot in the door of an already over-saturated market, but it's not really a viable option.

Why are you making the assumption that all the existing subscribers will quickly accept the change and get on board with the ''new'' channel? If you're banking on their loyalty to the channel, that goes out the window when you change the content and the name. And if you're hoping for complacency, people are more likely to stay subscribed without watching any of your videos than to watch your videos out of habit simply because they're subscribed. The most you're likely to get is some curiosity, and that probably won't be enough to keep your channel afloat.

As the others have said, you're probably far better off starting your own channel and building it up yourself. That's how almost all the big name gaming channels did it, and it's worked out well for them.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Need help asap - May 31st 2017, 02:11 AM

People do take the time to unsubscribe. To give you a large scale example, there was a channel called sourcefednerd. The entire network of channels were sold to another company, who shut the channel down and a month later renamed it and started using it on their own. They lost hundreds of thousands of subscribers overnight. Most people on YouTube don't take too kindly to buying subscribers.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Need help asap - May 31st 2017, 02:32 AM

There's so much more to marketing/selling/showcasing your brand/style than popularity. You need to be consistent, and taking over a channel that already has hundreds of subscribers is kind of cheating. As others have said, the very best and most popular channels had to start from the bottom. You need to make the effort, and keep people interested.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
~Radio Flyer~ Offline
Please call that story back.

I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Re: Need help asap - May 31st 2017, 11:18 AM

I mean one thing you can do, is maintain this channel as well as create your own new gaming channel and then reference the other channel towards the end of either video. So for gaming reference the stunt video and for the stunt video reference the gaming. And by referencing, I just mean mentioning briefly and providing a link. Or if you want nothing to do with stunt videos, when you get to know other youtubers you can exchange favors like that.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Need help asap - June 1st 2017, 02:26 AM

Being extremely honest here, do not ride on the back of a friend's subscribers. Taking over his account and expecting people to be ok with a sudden change in content is very selfish. You are thinking only of yourself. Those 3.5k subscribers put their time and energy into watching his videos. They are subscribed to him for his content, not yours. Using his subscriber base like that is highly disrespectful not just because you want to use the subscribers he has, but also because he is willing to give up 3.5k users' source of entertainment, it shows he clearly does not care about his fans and that is both shameful and saddening.

Take the time to start up your own channel. If you really want to start a name for yourself on YouTube, do it properly, and do it right. Not only are you disrespecting his fanbase, but you are also disrespecting the YouTubers who worked their backsides off to get where they are today.

Making a YouTube channel takes passion and commitment. You have to have a passion for making content for people to view, and you have to have a commitment to do it. It's hard work, but if you keep at it and you keep pushing, eventually it will work out.

A couple years ago one of my favourite gaming YouTubers stopped playing the very game I subbed to them for, suddenly they were playing a completely different game I didn't care about and I simply lost interest. In fact it got so bad the guy even pushed out a video about how bad he was doing and that he lost several thousand subs because of a switch in content. People will unsubscribe to something they have absolutely no interest in, I guarantee you that.

All in all, if you really want to make videos on YouTube, do it, but do it from scratch with your very own YouTube account and when you become successful you can say, 'I did that' not, 'I used my friend's fanbase to get this far'. You don't need someone else's fanbase to be a success on YouTube, you just need to commit time, energy and patience as well as a passion for the content you intend to create.

Life is for living, not for losing.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Mr.
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Edward G. Betlow

Re: Need help asap - June 1st 2017, 08:05 PM

I would say it's a bad idea cuz the subs are there for the contents of your friend. If you change the content, they might just unsub. It would be good for you if you start a new channel.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Need help asap - June 6th 2017, 10:04 PM

Make your own youtube channel, if you are going to take over his you need to the keep channel and the videos similar to the ones he's been uploading not take over the channel and be like wahaaaay imma get rid of his videos and just have subscribers. your friend has no doubt worked hard on building up his channel etc. hes trusting you with his channel.. and is expecting you to keep his channel for stunts etc. start your own gaming channel.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread