TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sub-Zero Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Feel like my youth is ending,what can I do about it? - August 30th 2017, 06:31 AM

So I am a 19 year old freshman in college and next year, I'm going to live off campus. This means I need to do stuff such as paying rent for example. Not that I am opposed to it, but the thought of doing something like that kind of makes me feel like my youth is over as when I live on campus, I did not have to worry about that for example. How can I manage these feelings?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Concinnity Offline
Go gold.
Not a n00b

Name: Hailey

Re: Feel like my youth is ending,what can I do about it? - August 30th 2017, 06:54 AM

Hey, I can relate! I'm going into my sophomore year of college and I'll be moving into my first apartment in just a few weeks, and the idea of paying rent and buying groceries and all that is kinda scary. It feels like a lot of responsibility, and the whole process involves a lot of big decisions that I don't always feel ready to make. So I feel ya - taking a big step like this can feel like a very sudden leap away from your childhood, and that's kind of alarming.

But that doesn't mean that YOU are going to change that much. Sure, you'll be paying rent, but you'll probably still feel a lot like the same person you do now. You're not a kid anymore, but you don't necessarily have to stop doing the things you associate with your youth just because you're living like an adult.

And maybe taking a few steps away from childhood over the next few years isn't such a bad thing. It's kind of a scary idea, yes, but as long as you hold onto the parts of you that you want to keep from that era, gaining maturity and responsibility and life experience can be good for you. It's good to step outside your comfort zone and grow as a person, as long as you're growing in a positive direction. Instead of thinking of this as adding more things to your plate to worry about, maybe think of it as an adventure or a challenge.

Best of luck to you! Adulting is hard and I think a lot of us on here can relate.

"Chase your stars, fool. Life is short."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Feel like my youth is ending,what can I do about it? - August 30th 2017, 05:13 PM

Becoming an adult can definitely become overwhelming. The good thing about it though is that, in most cases, you are given time to adjust to the changes.

I am quite certain that a lot of people have these same feelings when they start growing up and have to do adult things such as pay bills and call doctors etc.

The best way to deal with this is by setting up a budget for yourself so that you do not become overwhelmed by everything you have to pay and so that you do not over spend.

Every month I set up a budget. I make sure to pay the things I absolutely have to such as storage, gas, my credit cards etc. Once I have set up a budget I see how much money I am left with and I use that left over money for leisurely spending. It's definitely important to try and have a little bit of leisure money. It might not seem like it now but when you have to go a whole month without money to at least do one or two fun activities it can be draining.

I am not sure if you have a job or where your income is coming from but another thing you should try and do is set aside a bit of money each month for emergencies. I have had to use my emergency fund a few times in the past and I have been thankful that I have had it.

All in all, becoming an adult can be overwhelming but I have found that budgeting for the month helps with the overwhelming feelings in most instances.

Best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Feel like my youth is ending,what can I do about it? - September 2nd 2017, 07:35 AM

I age one day at a time...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Sub-Zero Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feel like my youth is ending,what can I do about it? - September 3rd 2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Abibliophobe~ View Post
Becoming an adult can definitely become overwhelming. The good thing about it though is that, in most cases, you are given time to adjust to the changes.

I am quite certain that a lot of people have these same feelings when they start growing up and have to do adult things such as pay bills and call doctors etc.

The best way to deal with this is by setting up a budget for yourself so that you do not become overwhelmed by everything you have to pay and so that you do not over spend.

Every month I set up a budget. I make sure to pay the things I absolutely have to such as storage, gas, my credit cards etc. Once I have set up a budget I see how much money I am left with and I use that left over money for leisurely spending. It's definitely important to try and have a little bit of leisure money. It might not seem like it now but when you have to go a whole month without money to at least do one or two fun activities it can be draining.

I am not sure if you have a job or where your income is coming from but another thing you should try and do is set aside a bit of money each month for emergencies. I have had to use my emergency fund a few times in the past and I have been thankful that I have had it.

All in all, becoming an adult can be overwhelming but I have found that budgeting for the month helps with the overwhelming feelings in most instances.

Best of luck.
Depends, is this really start of adulthood or was that first year uni while living on campus? I guess I mean compared to HS Seniors/college freshmen, I feel like my youth is over/old?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lauridoglover Offline
Not a n00b

Name: lauri

Re: Feel like my youth is ending,what can I do about it? - September 6th 2017, 01:51 AM

yes, adult life can suck. Have to do your own cooking now.Which many people your age hate to cook. That's the biggest thing starting to be an adult is having to cook your dinner every night. I know I hate to cook. It sucks being an adult because all you seem to do as an adult after college is work work work work. I'm 25 years old and I don't even feel 25. I just graduated from college with a B.A in psychology. Now all I do is work. obviously paying bills is no fun and working so much is not fun but being independent is fun and having your own money. The good thing about being an adult is being able to go out when ever you want to, not having to ask permission to go out and staying out as late as you want.

I agree having a budget is a great idea and time management as well. Good luck. Life is hard but there are still good times.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Markus Offline
Professional Human

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Marcus

Re: Feel like my youth is ending,what can I do about it? - September 6th 2017, 06:04 AM

You'll have more responsibilities, but of course, that'd also mean more control and freedom in your life. I am sure it'd turn out well! Don't worry about it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Sub-Zero Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feel like my youth is ending,what can I do about it? - September 6th 2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauridoglover View Post
yes, adult life can suck. Have to do your own cooking now.Which many people your age hate to cook. That's the biggest thing starting to be an adult is having to cook your dinner every night. I know I hate to cook. It sucks being an adult because all you seem to do as an adult after college is work work work work. I'm 25 years old and I don't even feel 25. I just graduated from college with a B.A in psychology. Now all I do is work. obviously paying bills is no fun and working so much is not fun but being independent is fun and having your own money. The good thing about being an adult is being able to go out when ever you want to, not having to ask permission to go out and staying out as late as you want.

I agree having a budget is a great idea and time management as well. Good luck. Life is hard but there are still good times.
So is second year the start of real adulthood? I mean, I can still eat on Campus for example on dinner.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Sub-Zero Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Feel like my youth is ending,what can I do about it? - September 6th 2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
You'll have more responsibilities, but of course, that'd also mean more control and freedom in your life. I am sure it'd turn out well! Don't worry about it.
Well, I mean compared to Hs seniors/college freshmen, I feel old I guess.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
lauridoglover Offline
Not a n00b

Name: lauri

Re: Feel like my youth is ending,what can I do about it? - September 6th 2017, 04:28 PM

I don't know your money situation sub zero. I just assumed if you're off campus that you will not be using the dorm cafeterias anymore. For me when I lived off campus, my parents didn't give me money for the meal plan /food at the dorm cafeterias. They only gave me money for groceries, so I had to buy my food and cook myself meals. lol I don't know when the start of being an adult is. I guess technically it's at 20 years old. Im not sure why you want to know the start of being a real adult. Does it really matter. And you're an adult at 20.

Your an adult , you go to university, you don't live with your parents anymore. There is nothing you can do about getting older. You still can have fun. Enjoy your time. Life goes by fast. Enjoy every moment.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Feel like my youth is ending,what can I do about it? - September 6th 2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-Zero View Post
So is second year the start of real adulthood? I mean, I can still eat on Campus for example on dinner.
I don't really think that it works that way. Becoming an 'adult' happens at different points for most people. There are some teens who have to take on adult responsibilities because they don't have parents to help them for one reason or another. There are 'adults' who are only gradually pushed into adulthood. They start out getting a job or going to college then they might move out of their parents house or the dorms etc. There are also adults who are thrown into the adult world right at 18. There are parents who stop providing for their kids right when they hit 18 because they aren't required to anymore.

I think if you talk to any adult, there really isn't a time when you feel 'adult' you just start to take on more or different responsibilities than you did as a teen.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread