TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Mental Health Use this forum to share your mental health concerns and to seek advice.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount63

Edit avatar

DBT homework. - December 5th 2018, 02:36 AM

So I am not a very social person, I do not like leaving the house and pretty much have no friends that live around me, or are willing to hang out.

Anyways one of the DBT homework assignments was to describe when I was Mindful of another person, and since I don't really leave the house or socialize with people besides family and even then it isn't a lot. I cannot do the homework, but if I don't do the homework they mark that in there notes about me for that week and if it happens three times I get kicked out of the module.

But it's not like I DON'T want to do it, I literally cannot do it. I am not that comfortable with the group leaders yet to tell them this, for the fact I think they will get mad at me and yell at me. I could tell my therapist who I usually have an appointment with an hour after the group ends, but she won't be here tomorrow since she is at a DBT conference.

What should I do? Should I just take the hit?

Also how can I remember to look at the DBT homework everyday? I tend to forget about it, and the skills. SO I don't use the skills and then BS my way through the homework if I don't understand it. How can I remember to do the homework the same day it was given? The group is 1;30-3pm and then therapy is 4-5pm and I don't get home till 6 or later so by the time I get home I am exhausted and don't want to do anything. I sometimes do it while waiting for my therapist but a lot of the time I don't because I am too overwhelmed, and need to relax a bit. Any ideas would be appreciated.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly
Pronouns: She/Her

Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34 Points: 57,742, Level: 34

Re: DBT homework. - December 5th 2018, 09:06 PM

Is there anyone in your house that you feel you could be mindful towards? If not, does the homework say that it has to take place face to face e.g. could you be mindful of someone online? Or maybe you can think of a past event that you might've shown mindfulness or if not, think of a past event and how you would be more mindful if it happened now?

If you really can't do the homework, then it is best to explain this to the group leaders. They may be a little concerned but if you explain your situation, they should try to be understanding and definitely not yell at you. And you can always follow up with your therapist later on.

As for remembering to do the homework, you could pick a time when you are usually relaxed and set an alarm/reminder for that time everyday to remind you to do the homework. You could also use sticky notes and put them in a place where you will see them. Or put the homework on your bed and maybe do it before bed time, if that's an option? It's okay to want to have a rest before doing the homework.

Mentoring and Support Team Leader | Click here to volunteer
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Latte Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9 Points: 3,839, Level: 9

Re: DBT homework. - December 5th 2018, 11:54 PM

Are you allowed to email your therapist? Perhaps you could reach out to your therapist and be like "sorry, I know you're away, but as this situation is time sensitive, I just wanted to put it out there and hope you can vouch for me to get me a pass in this circumstance..."

Do you think you could find an opportunity to practice with your family even it's just a little thing?
Closed Thread