TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Child curfew question - October 22nd 2017, 03:49 AM

I have no idea where this should go...

I have a question, more on, what would you do and your opinion is on an issue.

Okay so, I live on a street that is full of both retired and family oriented people. There is a house that there is children, which is fine. The issue is, past 10pm they are playing on the street with scooters, skateboards, and this and that. They play until about 11pm. The street has street lights but it's still dark.

I have called city bylaw (two weeks ago?) which I then called Children's Aid. City came but time they arrive the children were inside. Children's Aid couldn't do anything. City Bylaw recommended calling the police as it's a public safety matter.

These kids are between 8-14 years old.

Would anyone call the police to notify them of a safety risk to these children?

I am just asking because maybe I am being to "sensitive" on the issue...

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Child curfew question - October 22nd 2017, 04:10 AM

I'd look up curfew laws in your area. Technically in my city it's 9pm and this was put into place after a violent incident, but nobody really follows it I don't think. But it may give you more ground if you call.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Child curfew question - October 22nd 2017, 04:13 AM

I agree that you should look up the curfew in your area. This might not do much though because in my City the police wouldn't do much if kids were out past 'curfew' but they were near their houses.

If kids were out past curfew but weren't in their neighborhood then they did risk getting into trouble but being in their neighborhood usually leads to police saying "They are being monitored"

You do live in a different place than me though so they might not be as lenient.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheAtomicBlade Offline
Resident Sith
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Tortellini

Re: Child curfew question - October 22nd 2017, 04:38 AM

Hey,
Honestly, I wouldn't bother. They are close to their house, and they are just kids playing. Really, don't worry about it. Plenty of kids go out at night.
Plus its really the parents responsibility.

Just my two cents

PM me if you ever wanna talk. Send a message my way.
And remember, you matter. You're awesome. You're beautiful. Stay strong, the world will get better.

May The Force be With You.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lexify. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Lexi.

Re: Child curfew question - October 22nd 2017, 06:49 AM

We don't really have a curfew where I live but there is regulations for construction or garbage collection or such. I looked up the bylaws where you live and found that between 7am and 11pm the noise has to be within a certain range if it is disturbing after 11pm until 7am then it can be considered a violation. However, where I am, noise bylaws cover people yelling, music, animals, etc but not children playing outside, moving furniture, or heavy walking. But I’m not sure what noise constitués where you live

If they're playing on the street outside of their house...that's okay in my opinion. It's not like they're roaming around the city causing trouble. I don't feel there is much that the police can do because they're in front of their house which isn't a big deal. It's like, would you rather these kids be riding their bikes in front of their house or running around the towns in parks or causing trouble?
I don’t necessarily think that it is an issue for children's aid. It's the parent's responsibility and if they're in front of their house. They’re just being kids. We have kids on our street that play tag or ride their bikes on the street and such in the evening. If they're not causing trouble, it's not a big deal. I mean in my eyes, it's no different than kids playing in their backyards...we used to play in our backyard until 12 am some nights...sometimes we would play music quietly or just jump on the tramp or go swimming. We would sometimes ride bikes or play light tag in the streets as well. We weren't getting in trouble, we were having fun and it beat roaming around the city streets and parks.

I highly doubt that the cops would do anything because they’re on the street and they’re in by 11ish which technically is the bylaw...

Closed Thread