TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Lifestyle and Hobbies Use this forum to discuss your favourite hobbies and interests.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Wendi

Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14 Points: 10,282, Level: 14

We need help to choose Maman's Christmas present - December 12th 2020, 01:56 PM

Sis and I are at our wit's end. We have a Maman who is very difficult to please when it comes to presents, and Christmas has always given us a headache. For a woman who wants for nothing, supposed to be retiring from the international modelling scene. The type of Maman who has a dark red Bentley Continental GT and loves tea, but eye watering prices.

Not good. But I came up with an idea and want to sound it out to you guys.

I've seen a giant soaking tub. I know plumbing for being self taught, could easily fit it. Just need some strong men, but I can find thems down the pub easily enough.

We've already got lovely scented bubbly stuff and candles to drop into tea lihgt holders. Our existing bath needs replacing. It could just be the perfect solution.

What do you think?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: We need help to choose Maman's Christmas present - December 13th 2020, 10:16 AM

I think that's a very thoughtful and caring Christmas gift for your maman.

With covid being really bad in certain areas, I wouldn't recommend venturing to a pub and asking for help. Instead, is there any apps available in your area that does odd jobs where you hire someone?

I hope this is some what helpful.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I've been here a while

Name: Sarah

Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31 Points: 46,505, Level: 31

Re: We need help to choose Maman's Christmas present - December 13th 2020, 11:44 AM

There's nothing more enjoyable than having a unique gift. I think something like that would be lovely for your mum. I can't imagine why she wouldn't appreciate such a thing.

That said, not all gifts have to be insanely lavish or large. Handmade gifts, or the experience of being taken somewhere is as equally valuable. Physical items only last for a certain period of time. Memories last forever.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Re: We need help to choose Maman's Christmas present - December 13th 2020, 02:14 PM

Eleanor, thank you, but the men known to me have already suffered covid like me, during the 'first wave'. They get tested twice a week because they work at a nearby hospital. Like me, they had the virus quite bad, but recovered quickly so I'm happy hving thems to lug this bath in. It's enamelled cast iron - one of them suggested he and his friend go down on their knees to carry it in, resembling turtles! What an image!!

So heavy is the bath, it will be towed in around the rear because our mother's bathroom is downstairs and has frosted glass doors that slide way back into the walls, like our kitchen and dining room except those are clear glass. Positioning shouldn't be too much trouble as I've three good men. In the meantime Maman uses our bathroom, upstairs. The bigger one is downstairs and is for her sole use. She can be highly terrytorial, but her ways are typically French as she showers first before dipping into the bath. Scented candles look lovely in their frosted glasses, or I may set up a diffuser for essential oils. We use Absolute Aromas which is British.

You were very helpful and I appreciated you offering help.

Sarah,
As we have sheep, I've been knitting finely handspun merino lambswool and the type is Booroola, originally from Australia. They were exported to America - no idea when - but the UK love merino wool and my lambswool after much washing and care, was spun during evenings or out in the garden when it was warm and sunny. I'd sit beneath a tree and knit. If I stayed still enough, sparrows would come looking for food. They birds seem to know I carry tidbits in my pocketsies. We have sheep of other breeds, but merinos are my favourite for their wool.

Spinning is so relaxing, another craft I learnt by watching. It's an old Asford spinning wheel I bought off Gumtree, and the spools were collected over time because they can be very expensiv new.

The wool of Booroola lamb is very soft, a pleasant light tan and just wonderful to knit. So soft and so warm. The wool's final wash I made was in shaved Rogé Cavaillès soap. It's a pure lovely, gentle soap with a slight smell. We have bars of the stuff. It's my very favourite soap. Maman knows the jumper is for her as there was no way to avoid her knowing, but autumn to winter is perfect for knitting by the fire while she sips red wine or something stronger. We sit, the four of us, in comfortable silence and when the telly is turned on, that will be when I disappear to my studies upstairs.

Usually I knit at weekends whne our two days are more relaxed, I knit fast, not needing to look except count as I go. This week will be arranging the pieces to come together so while the jumper will be finished in time for Christmas, my guys will position the bath exactly on the granite stands that I carefully pugged in. I bought antique restored Victorian taps. The taps cost me dear, also the plumbing, all copper pipes. but buying the bath and not contracting out a plumber and I'll have saved a pretty penny. Anyway, I enjoy DIY.

Maman being what she is, wants for nothing since her career demands looking good and enjoying her hard work in buying the things she loves the most. Compared to the creature who was my original mother, Maman is softhearted, gentle, patient and loving. Sis and I adore her. She saved our lives, of thta I have little doubt. Out of love we reward our mother with unswerving love. Fitting a bath may give me a sore back, but for her delight and see that smile, all my hard graft will be worth it.

I've always wanted to make her things not easily obtainable in the shops. I'll make her something she will treasure, even a piece of carved wood - like a mouse, whereas my sister will stand sentry over the stove making lemon curd or a seasonable berry jam, or a nice marmalade, citrus-sharp and redolent of scented lemons and sugar. But, Maman only knows her bathroom will be decorated. She thinks she knows, but will be laughably wrong!
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34 Points: 56,119, Level: 34

Re: We need help to choose Maman's Christmas present - December 13th 2020, 05:10 PM

That is great to hear that the men who you will be asking are kind enough to offer their help to you. It sounds like amazing strong support you have found. I am glad that you and the helpful men have all recovered from the virus when you all had it.

The bathtub sounds very lovely in the downstairs bathroom of your maman's. She will definitely be surprised and enjoy the bath.

I have all positive things to say about a diffuser, I have one and they are fantastic. I like putting essential oils in mine as they have all benefits for the body and mind. We have an article on Essential Oils that you might be interested in reading.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Outreach and Communications Officer
Resource Editor
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Re: We need help to choose Maman's Christmas present - December 13th 2020, 09:01 PM

Thank you Eleanor, I've bookmarked it to read later. I've just logged into say our mother is leaving tomorrow for her modelling assignment leaving my sister and I the house. After she's gone the bath and our three men will arrive. It shouldn't take long to install.

We've always loved essential oils and me, bath bombs which are fun. Buit scented candles are more for Christmas and we hbvae plenty of those lovely oils to enjoy throughout our Christmas break.

I love how our moods can be affected by these essential oils. Right now with pure lavender, bergamot, and camomile. Almost ready for sleep. I hope you have a happy evening.

Goodnight, and thank you again for that splendid resource
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Librarian
Regular TeenHelper

Re: We need help to choose Maman's Christmas present - December 14th 2020, 02:09 PM

Just to add that I may not be in the forum tomorrow. I hvae got to finish off the work I'm doing in the bathroom and finishing the job with laying some lovely toe-wiggling carpet. Maman is going to be thrilled, but while she's away I'm going to work all night to get it done, and put a nice red ribbon across the bathroom door just for her.

Closed Thread