TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Lifestyle and Hobbies Use this forum to discuss your favourite hobbies and interests.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
Please call that story back.
I've been here a while

Name: Violet

Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24 Points: 29,446, Level: 24

looking for support/advice on how to get started - March 30th 2021, 06:18 PM

Hey everyone,

So I want to write a realistic fiction story...been wanting to write this story for a really long time now
It has parallels to my own life but without it being a full blown memoir
it is about a young adult who escapes abuse
and she goes on to being a teacher
and at first her past is overbearing her
but slowly, she realizes she can use it as her strength as it allows her to be more compassionate and sensitive to others, especially her students' lives
I want to show how painful it can actually get though. Not some romanticized version if it where she suddenly becomes teacher of the year
like it is actually a slow and painful process
and she may never be that super teacher but we need non-super teachers in the classroom too
having a hard time getting started with it though
like I usually write poetry
and the poetry is very personal and revealing
like it would mention my self harm urges for instance

I am going through a particularly rough patch the past few days and trying to use writing to help me through it
another thing is I want the main character to explore the healing process of self compassion through becoming a teacher and re-parenting in a way
and also exploring spirituality and healing from religion-based trauma, as well as exploring interfaith/multicultural identity
any support would be appreciated
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dawn. Online
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

TeenHelp Veteran

Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42 Points: 88,663, Level: 42

Re: looking for support/advice on how to get started - March 31st 2021, 07:10 AM

I love the story line of your book and it's great to hear that writing helps you. The only advice I can give you is to write from the heart and to let it flow. That's what I do when I write. Whatever comes into your head, just write.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?

Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39 Points: 74,574, Level: 39

Re: looking for support/advice on how to get started - March 31st 2021, 06:50 PM

I love this idea too and I think it'd be a really good story to tell. I always prefer a story which feels authentic and not romantisized, like you say, because I can picture the characters on their journeys in real life. Maybe you could make some notes on things you realy want to go in there in a scrap book or a word document? I find that when I'm writing, having a really nicely laid out, creative looking plan helps me get engaged and excited about what I'm doing. If you want any feedback or anything I'm happy to help.

"Why want another universe if this one has dogs?"

Matt Haig - The Midnight Library

Volunteer Support Officer | Apply to staff
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
I've been here a while

Re: looking for support/advice on how to get started - March 31st 2021, 07:35 PM

so I actually have multiple separate ideas and I kind of bounce between each of them without ever settling down and writing just one. Right now I am back to my "Dear Turtle" idea. Basically I want to write a series of letter exchanges between two animal characters named Turtle and Toad. Turtle is high achieving in math but has a fixed mindset. Toad is struggling in math and faces discouragement from time to time but he is determined to learn and understand. Through the letter exhanges, Turtle learns to articulate his knowledge and give positive growth mindset encouragement as well as clear up mathematical misconceptions. Will Toad makes great strides in his learning! I would start with 4th grade math topics and have examples of Toad trying to work through his frustrations and making mistakes along the way. Turtle learns how to coach Toad into figuring it out himself rather than giving him the answer. So that's where I am right now

Actually where I really am is having to make my one week's worth of lesson plans when we resume from holiday break.

I think it would make sense to bounce between an emotionally intense writing to a more childlike story. But I am trying to actually get writing done and then I run out of time.

I also want to make my poems into a book. That would be the most emotionally intense out of the 3 if not tied with the realistic fiction novel story thing.

I think at this point, though my initial purpose of the thread was solely about the first idea mentioned. I am realizing now this thread is about how to actually write and manage all the dancing ideas in my head.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount59

Edit avatar

Re: looking for support/advice on how to get started - March 31st 2021, 08:12 PM

Well, Violet, welcome to my world!

I can seriously relate to having all these ideas bouncing around in my head, jumping from one to the next, going round and round in circles; and, despite that, not much gets done!

It's even harder when you have a hectic schedule with no set time to sit down and write. Then again, when you do set aside a time to write, it begins feeling like a chore and we don't want that.

I create Google Docs for everything that comes to mind, literally. I also create Google Spreadsheets as a way to keep tabs on things. The thing I did this year is that I created a spreadsheet with twelve tabs (January - December) and the thirteenth being a cumulative count.

This can turn into anything you want! I made it so the first column's rows listed the days of the month within that tab, the next columns were categories, and then a total word count.

It's a lot of complex work and it didn't come to me overnight; and I admit, while it's not keeping me 100% accountable, it's helping clear the chaotic thinking in my brain.

I like the ideas you have, and having a second set of eyes on them would really help you be more motivated, I think.

Wishing you the best of luck with your writings.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
NeuroBeautiful Offline
I've been here a while

Re: looking for support/advice on how to get started - April 1st 2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauorkan View Post
Well, Violet, welcome to my world!

I can seriously relate to having all these ideas bouncing around in my head, jumping from one to the next, going round and round in circles; and, despite that, not much gets done!

It's even harder when you have a hectic schedule with no set time to sit down and write. Then again, when you do set aside a time to write, it begins feeling like a chore and we don't want that.

I create Google Docs for everything that comes to mind, literally. I also create Google Spreadsheets as a way to keep tabs on things. The thing I did this year is that I created a spreadsheet with twelve tabs (January - December) and the thirteenth being a cumulative count.

This can turn into anything you want! I made it so the first column's rows listed the days of the month within that tab, the next columns were categories, and then a total word count.

It's a lot of complex work and it didn't come to me overnight; and I admit, while it's not keeping me 100% accountable, it's helping clear the chaotic thinking in my brain.

I like the ideas you have, and having a second set of eyes on them would really help you be more motivated, I think.

Wishing you the best of luck with your writings.
This is helpful, thank you

Something I learned about myself is that I need to find my own way of getting organized because trying to do it someone else's way is like trying to learn a new language I do like the tip of getting organized though. It is important with these things and with making attainable goals.
Closed Thread