TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Do you understand humans? - July 12th 2009, 04:26 AM

Does anyone else find humans to be an odd and peculiar species? It’s like no matter how hard I try I can’t fully comprehend or understand them. I’m kinda an alien from a different planet in that sense. I mean, I talk and relate to them, I have friends – but, beyond that it’s like their whole race is a complete and utter mystery to me. Why they do what they do, why they react a certain way, why they need certain things, how they can be so “out there” and spontaneous. Being a cosmic castaway, I’ve never been able to cross the human/alien divide. I was wondering how many others have felt this complete isolation from everyone around them? Not just a feeling of being shy or not understanding certain things, but feeling like you’re a completely separate species.

Background: I’m an adoptee, which is the closest thing you can get to an alien in the classic Superman sense. Sent here from a distant planet for god knows what reason, I want to save them though and would willingly risk my life for them despite the divide. In ‘Smallville,’ sense the government’s a potential antagonist (we have to rely on private investigators to attain birth records and other important information). And there’s movies that depict us as possibly being cold-blooded killers – which is funny, I personally love this quote from ‘Roswell’ “Think about it, people see movies with aliens, aliens killing humans. Evil aliens, green aliens.” Not all movies depicts us like this, but a lot do (kind of like the whole E.T. vs. movies like INDEPENDENCE DAY sorta thing). Basically, in all matters of the sense I’m Superman.

Just wondering how many others out there feel a complete separation and isolation from everyone around them. Like you came from the stars, the sole survivor of a destroyed planet.

Last edited by ThePunkAlien; July 12th 2009 at 04:32 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Do you understand humans? - July 12th 2009, 05:11 AM

Well, I certainly agree with you on humans being an odd species. While other species are happy with just staying alive and fulfilling their needs, humans feel desire for material objects, to impress others and "fit in" and kill for pleasure.

I like to think that I'm different, although as you said I don't feel like I'm from another planet. I don't know how to explain that, but it's sort of like how different flowers can grow from the same soil.

As for your title question, I think I do understand humans, but I don't always emphasize.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Do you understand humans? - July 12th 2009, 05:15 AM

That feeling is definitely familiar to me. I don't feel as if I belong anywhere, and don't have a lot in common with people in general. I don't think that it's a matter of being alien-like though, simply just not being associated with the right people. It all depends on the people you meet, some are psychotic losers who are hard to understand no matter who you are, others are easy for you to relate to and understand. It just depends on your personality and interests. Naturally, if the majority of the people you meet do not have a lot in common with you, then you won't feel as if belong in their little group, or whatever you want to call it. But I definitely do relate to the feeling you've described.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

Closed Thread