TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

View Poll Results: Did you ever run away?
Yeah, I ran away before. 6 54.55%
No, I've never run away. 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Did you ever run away? - July 18th 2009, 12:20 AM

I ran away a couple of times. The first time was last summer when I got into this huge fight with my adoptive parents over going to California, they took my car keys away and dissembled my room, I snuck out, stole a bike and rode off into the night. I didn’t look back, I let all of my anger and feeling of being alone – that they’d never understand me – fuel and motivate my escape. I even took the back roads to try to be avoided, but my adoptive father found me and nearly rammed me off the road. We continued the argument and I yelled to him, “why do you want me to stay?” He couldn’t give me an answer. Only told me that if I came home for the night and still wanted to go, that they’d give me the keys. I went home and the next day they relented and let me go to California, thus it didn’t make sense to try to find another way there. Unconsciously though, the answer I wanted from my adoptive father and never got was that they wanted me. Interesting note: Thomas Jane (The Punisher) also ran away to California.

This summer I started getting upset with them again once the whole adoption thing opened up and they started treating me like I wasn’t their son – or at least my Mom was. I just couldn’t handle it anymore. I took a drive and part of me didn’t want to turn around – I just wanted to keep going to freedom. Searching for what, I have no idea. But, once again – I was going to leave soon – go seven hours away, so I went back, kept quiet, and got to get away again. Ever since I’ve been down here, still, for some reason there’s the urge to just become a lone wolf. Sleep out in the alleys, parking lots, and never return so my adoptive parents can track me down. Also, oddly, a part of me feels like that’s where I belong (I was born into poverty).

So I’ve ran away once before and that feeling is still very present. Something I found to be cool and funny is SMALLVILLE’s episode ‘RUN,’ they have Bart Allen (future Flash) as a run away and Clark Kent also ran away once because he felt like no one understood him. So, even maturing superheroes do it. I don’t know why, but sometimes living out on the streets – scamming my way through life – seems much easier and simpler than staying at “home,” because that way I wouldn’t have to deal with fear of being disowned. I can just be me.

I was just wondering, how many on here have ever ran away from home and why?

An interesting statistic that I’ve read states that more adolescent adoptees run away than biological children. I think part of that could be we’re not with our parents in the first place, they’re our care givers – I may be unique in that I don’t see any difference between adoptive parents and uncles or aunts that raise a child when their natural parents aren’t able to.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Did you ever run away? - July 18th 2009, 12:32 AM

Yeah, I called the cops had someone call CPS... I went back home in the back of a police car and they didn't check the medications my mother was taking... Even though I asked them to.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Did you ever run away? - July 18th 2009, 12:45 AM

I put no because I've never run away from home before. I'm too much of a wimp, and usually just lock myself in my room when things are getting tough at home. Things have never been that bad at home with my mum, but i'd imagine that if I'd ever lived with my dad I might well have run away.

Though I did run away from hospital a few times. Things got too much and I hated it there, they wouldn't let me go home so I just upped and ran out at breakfast the first time. Other times I wasn't in the best frame of mind at all.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

Re: Did you ever run away? - July 18th 2009, 02:15 AM

i've never run away, though i've often been tempted. i just always found it strange how my mom never even flinched when we were listening to Avril Lavigne and she got to that part in the song where she says: "Forget everything, and run away". that always makes me flinch.

Closed Thread