TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pandaloo Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Car Boot Sale Advice/Tips? - August 3rd 2009, 03:56 PM

Hey guys, me and my sister are clearing out some unwanted items this summer and want to sell it at a car boot sale.

We are selling stuff like games,books and general tat. We'd appreciate some tips, such as how to price the items, how to deal with haggling and which items sell well/badly, etc. at a car boot sale.

Thanks in advance!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Car Boot Sale Advice/Tips? - August 3rd 2009, 04:07 PM

Well, I've never been to a car boot sale, but good old daytime TV (think 'car booty' and all that jazz ) has taught me a couple of things that may help.

I'm going to say, make sure that you're organised - It'll make things a lot easier. Decide approximate prices before you go to the bootsale. Make your table look attractive, set your stuff out accordingly - make sure people can see the best things.
As for haggling, I'd personally set quite a high price because the only direction the price is going is down, so even if you ask a slightly 'overpriced price', it's better than setting it at a low price and having to go down. Stand your ground! Be adamant that you're not going to let your possesions go for a price thats too low (especially if it's early). Of course, don't ask for a ridiculously high price though, it is a car boot sale and most people are looking for bargains.

Try and appear confident - that's always good.
Ooh, remember to take carrier bags and some change, too.

Good luck!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Jen

Re: Car Boot Sale Advice/Tips? - August 3rd 2009, 04:52 PM

Stephanie's tips were good

Things that usually sell good at car boot sales are things like books and toys and games, things that it doesnt really matter that they have been used before. Clothes can sometimes sell quite well also, especially if they are designer (people like to get 2nd hand designer clothes!)

I hope the sale goes well,
Jen

PM // VM

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Barbed Lungs Offline
Crazy Cat Lady
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicola

Re: Car Boot Sale Advice/Tips? - August 3rd 2009, 05:35 PM

Hey, I did a carboot last sunday They're definitey an easy way to make a bit of money. I didn't actually put written price tags on anything. You generally find that once the potential buyer has asked you for a price, they're less likely to say no. Make sure you have a set price for everything in your mind though. Clothes generally go for a pound a garment, unless they have tags still on then they can generally go for up to five pounds. I wouldn't sell books for anymore than 50p unless they're hardbacks and in good condition. Magazines wont really go for more than 10p each. Games could go for 1-2 pound but people are wary that there might be pieces missing so be prepared to show them everything is there. Anything electrical wont generally go for much because again, people think they don't work. It's best to display books in boxes that people can have a good root through and to display jewellery, ornamaments or any better items on a table. Be prepared to be surprised too! I was selling some cheap plastic flowers inside a lovely vase and someone bought the flowers but not the vase xD As for haggling always ask for a price slightly higher than you're actually willing to let it go for. Say if you want 5 for a jacket then say 8 and people will generally so, oh will you take 6? Then you make a pound profit Display is important. people only take a closer look at your stall if something catches their eye. Take picninc blankets to put at the side of you main table to put bits of junk or large items on. Oh and always put a cloth on the table, it looks much better I hope I covered most of it Just VM or PM me if you want to know anything else! One last thing! When you have a bit of money and decide to look round the rest of the carboot, make sure you dont buy more stuff you dont need I did exactly that!

Edit: oh and when it gets later inthe day, say about 12 be prepared to let things go for very cheap, like books for example. I wont but a book for any more than 30p after 12. Early in the morning though things will go for higher. Be confident too! People are pushy, like when you're setting up (set up as early as possible, about 6 in a morning) they'll come and ask if you have certain things. I was asked specifically if I had any jewellery, perfume or mobile phones. It might be worth putting these things in a box on its own so you wont have to search ifyou haven't unpacked them yet. As has been said too, it's essenttial to have change and carrier bags. If you're selling bigger items people might buy them and ask you to keep hold of them till later

I'm doing another carboot at tansley next week

---
- I'm not strong enough to stay away -
- and I wanna leave -
- and I wanna stay -
- And I'm so confused -
- So hard to choose between the pleasure and the pain -
---

Last edited by Barbed Lungs; August 3rd 2009 at 05:52 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Barbed Lungs  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Perplexity Offline
Per sempre <3
I've been here a while

Name: Shaz

Re: Car Boot Sale Advice/Tips? - August 3rd 2009, 05:55 PM

I definitely agree with the tips that have already been mentioned so far.

CDs, DVDs, games, books, jewellery, toys and clothes sell well at car boot sales. If you are going to sell clothes, one thing you might want to do is to bring a mirror with you. People like to know what the item looks like on them first before buying it. Same thing goes for jewellery as well.

Presentation is quite important, as well. Present your goods on a table and like Stephanie said - make sure people can see the best things. You might want to put them at the front. You might want to arrange things, as well. So keep all the CDs together and the jewellery together and so on. You might also want to put an eye-catching cloth on your table. That might attract more people to your table.

One other thing that you should try to do, is to try and and arrive early as possible, if you want to get a good spot. Also, sometimes you may have to pay a fee to set up your car boot, though this isn't the case everywhere. Try and find out in advance whether you need to pay a fee or not.

This site has some other tips, which you might want to look at. Also this site has some pretty helpful information about car boot sales, as well.

Hope the the car boot goes well!

Last edited by Perplexity; August 3rd 2009 at 06:02 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Car Boot Sale Advice/Tips? - August 6th 2009, 03:50 PM

Definitly up the price if things are brand new or have never been used, or have tags on still.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: LJ

Re: Car Boot Sale Advice/Tips? - August 6th 2009, 04:36 PM

I DID ONE THE OTHER WEEK!
I made 50 pounds xD

- Set it up in an organised manner. (Use a table for small, expensive items and maybe a blanket on the floor for the rest - but don't block the way to the table!)
- Make sure you've got LOTS of change. I learnt this. People like to pay with 20 pound notes for some reason. Not good, haha.
- CARRIER BAGS! People always ask for them, so take lots!
- Be friendly. Don't stand and look bored. Good posture, smiles = WIN.
- Don't be shy! I'm the shyest person ever, but talk and communicate with them. I had a laugh with most of the people who brought things from me!
- Barter. If they're iffy about buying it, lower the price a bit...after all, where's it going to go if you don't sell it? & make sure they don't offer prices that are TOO low. Don't be afraid to say no!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Car Boot Sale Advice/Tips? - August 6th 2009, 07:34 PM

ok, so a few tips..

- get there early! you want to try and get a good spot.

- make sure you don't sell anything worth a LOT of money accidentally. example; my mum sold a limited edition book last year without realising for 50p

- be organised before you go and know what sort of prices you're going to charge for things. you don't want to be in the situation where someone asks how much and you don't really know so end up selling it for too little!

- don't be tempted to take any offer people make. wait it out for someone else to pay a reasonable price.

- when it gets towards tot end of the car boot sale drop your prices so you get rid of more stuff!

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread