TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Learning two instruments. - August 21st 2009, 10:04 PM

I was wondering, do you lot think learning two instruments at once would be over work? Because I am considering learning two at once.
I have been learning fiddle/violin since last Yule (December 25th in other words) and now HOW to play it, just not very well, but I know where everything is and what not. And I am thinking of getting a guitar at around Yule time this year to learn that as well. I would still be practising both instruments daily, for at least 30 minutes each and longer at the weekends, so it wouldn't be cutting into learning time for fiddle, but I've asked a couple of people and they said it would make better sence to wait until I can play the fiddle relatively well, but in all honesty I don't think I can be bothered... And in my opinion, learning two instruments could be beneficial as well. So please, your opinions would be appreciated greatly (And sorry for this being so long )

(If it's in the wrong forumy thing, please move it to the right one)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Banned
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 21st 2009, 10:47 PM

Hey Keady.

It's awesome you're so good with music, I'm actually kind of jealous haha. I think there shouldn't be too big a problem learning two at once. Considering you already have the basics down of the one. Also, guitar might help you with some skills on the fiddle, and the other way around, too. So long as you are able to keep them seperate in your mind, and keep up practise with both, I really don't see a problem.

Best of luck with this!!
-Dylan.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jack

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 21st 2009, 11:37 PM

I agree with Dylan. It might be a little difficult, but I do think that it shouldn't be much of a problem.
And believe it or not, playing those instruments will benefit each other. I've played the violin for 5 years and when i picked up a guitar I was far better than what I anticipated I would be.

"What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other?"
-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

"Don't be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin."
-Grace Hansen

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Drey Offline
what..ever
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Drey

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 21st 2009, 11:42 PM

I think that a year between instruments is just fine. I 'waited' roughly a year between learning each of my instruments (I play quite a few), and a lot of times I would learn something about the first instrument while learning the second instrument (basically like Dylan has said). Guitar and fiddle are two instruments that are similar but different enough that you should be able to keep everything seperate and learn skills for both at the same time. Keep in mind though that you will most likely begin to have a favorite between the two and you will (consciously or not) practice one/learn one more than the other, so if you are not doing them both for fun.. this is possible that the one you aren't doing for fun (if it isn't your favorite) might start making you frustrated (I say this from experience).

PM me if you ever want or need to talk, I'm always around

As long as you try, you have a possibility of success. This goes for every aspect of your life whether it be school, family, relationships or just life in general (or anything I'm leaving out).

The answer is... just... T-R-Y

(#5 (permalink)) Old
xeno Offline
Lost & Confused
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Vera

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 22nd 2009, 12:42 AM

I've been playing Trombone for 8 years, french horn for 4 years and piano all my life. I am very musicly gifted (not trying to brag) and based on my experience with instruments i would have to say not to learn both of those at once. Guitar is one of the more difficult instruments to learn.

It all really depends on your skill on Violin though. If you can sight read fairly well learning the guitar will be a lot easier.

If you want a challenge you should do it because it WILL be hard.
But if you wait until next Yule to learn guitar, it will be a lot easier.

(NO MATER HOW GOOD YOU ARE AT ONE INSTRUMENT IT IS ALWAYS HARD TO LEARN ANOTHER)

I'm a total band geek so message me with any questions and what-not.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 22nd 2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno View Post
(NO MATER HOW GOOD YOU ARE AT ONE INSTRUMENT IT IS ALWAYS HARD TO LEARN ANOTHER)
Yeah, but sometimes skills you acquire while learning one instrument helps with the other. Playing the violin helped my fingers get used to fast movements like that as well as the coordination.

-George Eliot

"Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
-Groucho Marx

-Grace Hansen

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 22nd 2009, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno View Post
Guitar is one of the more difficult instruments to learn.
I strongly disagree. Learning guitar theory is quite easy and the whole point of playing guitar is to innovate. I just picked up guitar a few months ago after playing bass and piano for many years, and I play rhythm guitar on most my bands tracks. It was simple for me

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#8 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 22nd 2009, 10:55 AM

Hey there

Learning a new instrument is an exciting idea. But in reality when you get in to it, there are days when you can't be bothered to practice one, never mind two, or times when you don't have time to practice either instrument.

Now I play two instruments, but I started learning the piano about two or three years after I began learning the trumpet, so I had the advantage that I could already read music and count rhythms. But in the end I had to prioritise. I don't play the piano very often now but I still do well on the trumpet.

But it's very rewarding when you can play an instrument, or even two. So if you're up for it, go for it, but your practice routine of half an hour on each a day and more at weekends may become a bit unrealistic.

I would wait until Christmas to start another instrument. Good luck with it

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 22nd 2009, 05:10 PM

I can say from experience, learning 2 instruments is tough at first but by the time you get around to your 3rd you're well used to it Learning different instruments really helps you focus on music as a whole and not just seen through the eyes of a violinist or pianist.

I went violin > piano > harmonica > keyboards > electric guitar and I'm the better musician because of it. Can I ask which type of guitar you're looking at? Electric is amazingly like the violin, acoustic less so...
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 22nd 2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
I can say from experience, learning 2 instruments is tough at first but by the time you get around to your 3rd you're well used to it Learning different instruments really helps you focus on music as a whole and not just seen through the eyes of a violinist or pianist.

I went violin > piano > harmonica > keyboards > electric guitar and I'm the better musician because of it. Can I ask which type of guitar you're looking at? Electric is amazingly like the violin, acoustic less so...
I'd be looking to get an electric guitar =]

(#11 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 23rd 2009, 12:40 AM

Heyy,

You can DEFINITELY learn two instruments at the same time =] You might want to practice one in the morning and the other in the afternoon though to give yourself in between time. But once you are skilled at both- it will be easy to switch between the two. Just got to keep practicing!

Good Luck!
-Amy

(#12 (permalink)) Old
TheWhiteTornado Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 23rd 2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Electric is amazingly like the violin, acoustic less so...
Haha, that it is. Your fingers are so used to the movements and positioning that it's no problem at all. Now getting used to 6 strings....that's a bit more complicated :P

-George Eliot

-Groucho Marx

-Grace Hansen

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Arcenciel Offline
Child and Youth Care Worker
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 24th 2009, 12:35 AM

In my opinion, you should be fine learning two instruments at once. Some instruments you get lucky with as well and they bounce off each other. For example, in school, they show us a piano to teach us guitar. So I learned how to play a bit of piano at the same time as brushing up on my guitar skills. Note reading is almost always the same in instruments (depending on whether you're using bass clef or treble clef) and the basic IDEA of playing is there. You just need to work on figuring out where the notes are on the new instrument.

I think if you love it enough, you'll make time for it, and if you can't find time, you may be like me and just be up at midnight playing. Haha. Music is a great thing to have and I say the more the merrier.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Learning two instruments. - August 24th 2009, 01:09 AM

Hey Keady,
Learning two instruments can be a lot. As long as you have the time to practice both instruments you should be fine. Electric guitars are much more fun than acustic guitars. You should have fun. If you don't have the time to practice both instruments it can get to be a lot though. Once you get your handle on one of them though, it'll help you learn how to play the other one. There are a lot of connections between instruments. Good luck!
~Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

Closed Thread