TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adam Offline
Stand in the rain...
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Adam

Speeding ticket? - September 17th 2009, 09:12 PM

I feel really bad! My manager just drove me home from work and dropped me off at my house. She could have left me at the bus station to get the bus home, but she took me all the way.

Half way home she was going quite fast and a speed camera flashed at us. I'm thinking that if a ticket comes through I'll pay 30 towards it or something.

My question is... is there any way to avoid a speeding fine? or somehow not pay it. I heard that if you write back and ask for a copy of the photo, they often don't send one... Any legal ideas?

Katrina's NERD.
[/color] [/b][/color] [/right]

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Speeding ticket? - September 17th 2009, 10:50 PM

Well, if you feel that the fine is wrong or unjust you can usually take the ticket to court.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Jamie Offline
A Tout Le Monde
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jamie

Re: Speeding ticket? - September 18th 2009, 12:11 AM

If she was speeding then she won't get out of it legally. In the end if she was speeding, it doesn't matter if she was doing a good deed- she should pay the fine. If you feel that bad, pay it for her.

The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways; the point is to change it.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

22:36 [Ergg] It's so much better to be a girl
22:36 [Ergg] IMO
22:36 [Jamie] Naw. Two words: Periods. Childbirth.
22:36 [Ergg] One word: Birth control
22:37 [Jamie] That's two words.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: Speeding ticket? - September 18th 2009, 12:30 AM

Well obviously there is no easy way to get off the ticket or else eveyone would.

The only hope you have, that I know of, is that (A) the camera had a malfunction or for some reason failed to take a picture/identify your teachers number plate properly, (B) the camera was flashing someone on the opposite side of the road for some reason or (C) you were driving a dieing child to the hospital in order to save his life and therefore had to break the speed limit. As (C) is not the case you have to hope for one of the first two and those are rather unlikely.

~This does not constitute proper legal advice nor should it be taken as fact as it is simply speculation~

My legal advice is that asking for legal advice from TH is a bad idea.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Speeding ticket? - September 18th 2009, 01:54 AM

My advice: Split the fine with her? It's highly unlikely you will get out of paying a ticket- if you were in fact speeding. Hopefully, the fine won't be too high! I'd suggest talking to an adult though, maybe one who has been around the block a few more times. If you hear that asking for a photograph works, it never hurts to try!

Good luck with everything,
-Amy

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Speeding ticket? - September 18th 2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I feel really bad! My manager just drove me home from work and dropped me off at my house. She could have left me at the bus station to get the bus home, but she took me all the way.

Half way home she was going quite fast and a speed camera flashed at us. I'm thinking that if a ticket comes through I'll pay 30 towards it or something.

My question is... is there any way to avoid a speeding fine? or somehow not pay it. I heard that if you write back and ask for a copy of the photo, they often don't send one... Any legal ideas?
Well, the first way to avoid a speeding fine is...Well, don't speed

In all seriousness: First off, see whether it's even worth fighting in court for. Are you going to be paying more for court or for the ticket? What will happen if you plead innocent and lose?

Second, take note of your environment. Was it raining? Foggy? Was the speed limit not clear on the road? Is the sign blocked by some trees? Can you think of anything that could help your case?

I don't know if it'll work in England, but in America you have a right to face your accuser. So here, if a camera catches you...All you gotta do is go to court and say "I want to face my accuser." And a camera can't be an accuser, because you can't exactly cross-examine it...So they throw the case out. I know this used to work, but that was awhile ago...Maybe they made some changes? I'm not sure.

And I don't really see why you need to pay for some of the ticket...If was your manager's fault that she sped.

EDIT: Last year the Supreme Court ruled that those cameras can be used...So what I said above won't work anymore. Oh well..

Last edited by Lugez; September 18th 2009 at 04:17 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: Speeding ticket? - September 18th 2009, 07:35 PM

You just admitted she was speeding..

Why bother trying to get out of it? She was in the wrong. Pay the fine and move on.

Maybe it'll teach her not to speed again.

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Speeding ticket? - September 18th 2009, 08:23 PM

If your boss was speeding then she was breaking the speed limit, it's as simple as that. Speed cameras are there for a reason and if your boss was breaking the speed limit then she did deserve the ticket whether she was helping you or not. If your boss believes that she wasn't actually speeding then I'm sure that she could try and write to the court. Otherwise, she's going to have to just pay the fine and learn her lesson not to speed. You could of course try and help your boss to pay for the ticket if you would like to help her.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Speeding ticket? - September 20th 2009, 05:10 PM

what?.. don't pay any of the fine.. why should you? it was her fault. whether she was taking you home or not isn't really relevent, she was the one driving the car.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
HereToHelpYou Offline
Offering help - PM/Email me
Average Joe

Name: Alicia

Re: Speeding ticket? - September 27th 2009, 07:00 PM

There is no legal way out of it if she was in fact speeding. She can take it to court, but I bet you she wont win. She would be best off to pay it. Personally, you shouldnt owe her anything. You did not ask her to speed, she did that on her own.

Send a message via MSN to HereToHelpYou  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
VanGuard Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Speeding ticket? - October 1st 2009, 10:08 PM

Split the cost with her if you do receive the ticket.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Speeding ticket? - October 2nd 2009, 02:10 AM

She was speeding, but maybe offer to pay a bit of it... Also though in the UK I'd think she'd get points on her license, and I'd much rather a fine than that! It'll put her insurance up, and she may have to put it down when applying for things...

I'd say don't try and avoid it though, just let her pay up and face the consequences... There is a chance though, albeit small she gets nothing through

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

Closed Thread