TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Me and the Dentist - November 18th 2009, 08:52 PM

Well I don't handle fillings so well. I've had three now and the most recent ones have been really traumatic for me.

The first one the numbing injection ended up making my face swell up and it looked like I'd had a stroke. I ended up coming out of the chair crying because of the filling.

The second one was even worse since she didn't even wait for it to numb properly before drilling into my tooth and she butchered my gums 'cleaning' my teeth. I came out of that shaking and while I was in the chair I was clenching my hands together so hard that it made tears come in my eye. Also I ended up sweating so much in there and my heart was beating really fast.

I want to be put to sleep when I have fillings but they can only do that at hospitals now. I was wondering if that above would be reason enough for me to get it done at the hospital because I really can't face another filling with my dentist again. I'm not having another filling at my dentists again so it's either I get it done at the hospital or I don't get it done at all and I wait until I'm in serious pain before going back to my dentist.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Strider Offline
Tash-la
I've been here a while

Name: Nat

Re: Me and the Dentist - November 18th 2009, 10:07 PM

Hi Cara,

Bad experiences at the dentist really are no fun at all I had a few of the same problems as you, and they really can be quite traumatic. I understand completely why you want to be put to sleep when you go to the dentist, however I don't think they will be able to do that.

Instead what I would suggest is going to a different dentist. Try to find one who is gentler and actually goes through the processes properly (like waiting for your mouth to fully numb before drilling). Find someone who suits you better and see if you are more comfortable somewhere else.

Nat.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/40/signaturep.png
The great artists of our time are the ones who created something timeless. But it was never them defining it that way.
Everyone has a story. What's yours?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Me and the Dentist - November 18th 2009, 10:30 PM

I honestly don't think they are even aloud to put you to sleep just for fillings. Even though I tottaly get what you are saying the numbing shots never work for me they don't last as long as they should when I was little my dentist assistents would always tell me to stop acting like a baby and I couldn't cry because there were little kids around and I had to be a good example.

I say just try and go to a diffrent dentist that what I'm doing now to because mine sucks she can't do anything right.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#4 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: Me and the Dentist - November 18th 2009, 11:31 PM

Get a new dentist.
That's the best you can do.. They wont even put you out while pulling wisdom teeth now.

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Me and the Dentist - November 19th 2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Ghost View Post
The second one was even worse since she didn't even wait for it to numb properly before drilling into my tooth and she butchered my gums 'cleaning' my teeth. I came out of that shaking and while I was in the chair I was clenching my hands together so hard that it made tears come in my eye. Also I ended up sweating so much in there and my heart was beating really fast.
I've had that, my mum used to work at a dentists, I came out and she looked at me and went could you feel anything? Haha too right I could! If you do feel anything and you have to have another one, let them know straight away they can give you another injection if needs be, cos that hurts... BAD! Especially if/when they touch a nerve xD

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
eaty Offline
Lead Moderator

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

Re: Me and the Dentist - November 19th 2009, 12:38 AM

I completely understand you. I HATE going to the dentist, so much that i have refused it for about 4 years now. Which hasn't been a good choice at all. I had something happen that is close to what happened the 2nd time with you.

But this year i ended up really needing to go to the dentist, so i found a new one. One who does Worry-free dentist work. Where pretty much they won't quite sedate you, but it is close. You get pretty drugged up, i just had it happen a few weeks ago and i had no problems really. You just feel out of it, and relaxed like you are still awake and know what is happening, but you feel relaxed. So i HIGHLY suggest trying to find a dentist like this in your area, or if you can't at least change dentists and get one who waits for the numbing to kick in, so that it doesn't hurt you so much

Lead Moderator, Chat Officer and Disputes Committee Member.
PM me Anytime if you need anything.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
_Headphones_ Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: Me and the Dentist - November 19th 2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHEAVENn View Post
Get a new dentist.
That's the best you can do.. They wont even put you out while pulling wisdom teeth now.
Sorry so people don't get confused I just wanted to say that they do still put you out getting wisdom teeth pulled but they have to be very impacted or have a good reason for it. Sister got put to sleep for it last halloween.

Don't lose who you are, in the blur of the stars
Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,
It's okay not to be okay
Sometimes it's hard, to follow your heart
Tears don't mean you're losing, everybody's bruising,
Just be true to who you are
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

Closed Thread