TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Eating habits + Politeness - December 4th 2009, 04:35 AM

Ok, a little background on the problem. My family decided to take in a “family friend” in your house (long story). So she is currently staying until maybe June. Anyways when she eats, she has no manners she eats with her mouth open and double dips. I'm really OCD when it comes to food and double dipping. She makes weird noises, eats with her hands and talks while eating.
For example I think it was Monday morning. It was only her and me in the house and we where having breakfast. She got some cereal and when she was done, with the SAME spoon dipped it in the marmalade made herself a marmalade sandwich and in the same bowl of the cereal put in again milk and put some chocolate and dipped the sandwich in it, and that’s not the worst thing she has done. I mean I don’t eat perfect, but I do use my manners, even if I’m just with family.
I already told my sister and she doesn’t know what to do the same with my mom. We don’t want to seen rude. But it drives me nuts.
How can I politely tell her about her nasty eating habits? It’s getting on my last nerves.
I might add she is 21 years old.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

Last edited by Pelios; December 4th 2009 at 06:25 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Eating habits + Politeness - December 4th 2009, 10:48 AM

if it were me i'd just tell her straight that you think it's rude. she's staying at your house and presumably sharing your food.. so the least she can do is be polite and have some manners. if i were you i wouldn't care about offending her.. sometimes people just have to be told. i really have a thing about people with who don't have manners or dip their fingers in food and stuff like that.. it's gross.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Eating habits + Politeness - December 5th 2009, 05:06 AM

I know but if she is going to be living in my house until June or more, I don't want to start any fights with someone I'm going to see all the days. =/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Ox In A Box Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Eating habits + Politeness - December 5th 2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
I know but if she is going to be living in my house until June or more, I don't want to start any fights with someone I'm going to see all the days. =/
I can see why you're hesitating to bring this up to her. However, she is going to be living with you until June. Do you really think you're going to be able to deal with her poor habits for 6 months? That's a long time to deal with something annoying. Your annoyance will probably continue to build up and it will be unleashed eventually. I would definitely say something now.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Eating habits + Politeness - December 5th 2009, 05:28 PM

I'd talk to her about it now, because if not this is going to annoy you and things will build up. You don't want to end up going off on her because you just can't take it anymore. If there is something you really, really like and don't want her eating, I suggest you label it. For example, I have my own personal jar of peanut butter because if not my father would eat it and probably double dip. He's fine with everything except peanut butter, so I have my own jar.

Anyway, back to this girl. I'd definitely say something to her.

--A

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Mel Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Mel

Re: Eating habits + Politeness - December 5th 2009, 06:08 PM

It's understandable that you don't want to start anything negative with her, but it seems like her habits are really unbecoming. Since she'll be living with you for the next 6 months or so, I really think that it's something you need to address. If you don't, as said, it will just build up until you absolutely can't stand it or her anymore. So, it would hurt more in the long run to not say anything at all.

That being said, I think it would be most appropriate for someone (you, your mom or sister) to take her aside and explain how you do things around there. You could catch her in the act (), but I think that if you talk to her alone, that she'd be a lot more reasonable. You could say something like.. "I noticed earlier that you used a spoon that you were already using for your breakfast in the marmalade. Do you think that next time you could maybe use a clean spoon in there instead? It's not a huge thing, I know, but we usually just do it like that." or something similar. Hopefully she'll take it well and will stop with it.

Good luck.

∞ 1.16.07 ∞ 7.4.07 ∞ 9.16.08 ∞

Click here to PM me. | Never Give Up ツ

I have not failed.
I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Eating habits + Politeness - December 5th 2009, 10:35 PM

I like the idea of labeling things, I really don't care about the marmalade I can just buy another one. But the fact that what if I didn't see her and she did it and I took some of that marmalade later. Also she could be doing is with everything else...
I'm not good with talking to people about this things. Right now she is in Guadalajara(another place in Mexico) for the weekend, so I have a the weekend to see what to do.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Eating habits + Politeness - December 5th 2009, 11:08 PM

Yeah you really need to bring it up. Don't be scared of it, because I imagine she's really grateful to be staying with you, and the response will probably be along the lines of 'i'm really sorry you should have said earlier' (I think!!). So just go for it =] Or if you reeally don't want to do it ask your sister or mum to discreetly.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Eating habits + Politeness - December 10th 2009, 07:04 PM

Ok, people I didn't have the guts to tell her so what I did is I invited her to go eat with some friends and me( I picked the friends that are really straight foward) so we were eating and she was eating like she always does and my friends asked her why she ate like that, and told her not to double dipp, and so on. Now I hope she gets it and doesn't do it in my house again.
Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate your help.

Closed Thread