TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Arrow What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 03:22 AM

Usually people believe one becomes an adult at 18 or 21 years old with all the things that come with it. Would also really like the older posters, at least there's some older than me, to give what they think --

Personally, I still have no idea when it begins. Even at 22 in the work world close to selling my first screenplay to a top company for a paycheck I feel like a kid. Plus, a lot of us still have our "baby face" making us pass as teenagers still - or at least some of us. I think adulthood might set in at 24.

When do you think one goes from adolescent to adult (mentally, not what legal papers say) and why?

"Maybe I just like people. Maybe sexuality isn't one thing or the other. Maybe it's just something that's shifting and moving. I just know I'm not thinking man or woman."
- SHAMELESS.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Project Advisor

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 03:24 AM

I would say that it depends on the person. People mature at different rates.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Rtn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 03:27 AM

Legally in Australia, its 18
For you Americans I would guess its 21, due to the last restriction according to age being lifted.

Im sorry, I didn't read the whole thing, you didn't want legal definitions.

Um, I would say its when you can take responsibility for all your actions.
But remember that we are all constantly learning and growing due to experiences.
An "Adult" doesn't define someone that knows all they need to know, just that they accept the reigns to thier own life and the consequences that come with it.

Last edited by Rtn; October 12th 2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: .

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reakless Emotion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Brittany

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 03:32 AM

I'm pretty sure here in Canada its 18. Thats when you're able to vote, gamble, and are under the adult laws.

And I will take you in my arms, and hold you right where you belong.
Til the day my life is through, this I promise you.121109

(#5 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 04:24 AM

Legally, the US is 18. That's when you're an adult in the court systems, you can vote, enlist in the army, etc. Drinking is pretty much the only thing that comes at 21, so I wouldn't say it's 21.

I think that it depends on the maturity level. I matured very young, but really didn't consider myself an adult until I was in college. My friend is 16 and he is an adult to me because of his maturity level. I know some 20 some year olds who are not really adults in their actions.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Opal Offline
Not a n00b

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 05:08 AM

I think being an adult isn't something that's handed to you, it's something you take for yourself. It's necessary for countries to legislate adulthood for legal reasons, but the legal age has very little to do with individual growth and development. Think of it this way - this is a cheesy example, but in the movie Avatar the aliens don't get to take their place in the tribe as an adult until they have passed certain tests. In our modern world I think we are now confused about adulthood because people treat it as something that happens the minute you turn a certain age, which is unhelpful.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 05:11 AM

I definitely think it depends on the person. Maturity levels are different for every person. I, for instance, like to consider myself an adult, but there are times when I still depend on my mommy. Does it make me any less of an adult? I don't think so, but a lot of people consider adulthood when you're out of the house and no longer dependant on your parents/guardians. I disagree.
I've always been a pretty mature individual - I've had my moments of immaturity, sure, but for the most part, I can handle myself pretty well. I got there around age 15, when I started taking leadership roles at school and church.
I think you become an adult when you can make secure decisions for yourself (not wreckless behaviors such as doing drugs, driving underaged, etc.) and not -completely- rely on those around you. Does this mean you can't go to your mom or dad for help making a big decision, or sorting things out in your head? No. But you should be able to.... Stand on your own two feet, for the most part.

There's no way that a number can define your place as an adult. My brother, for instance, is 22 and still acts like a child. He makes wreckless decisions that affect others without thinking about it. I'm 21 and can handle myself quite well. The point is... Even though the government can legislate legal adulthood, it doesn't make you ready to handle every adult situation - I know very few 18-year-olds who can handle voting on government leaders because they don't yet know their own views (they know what they've been taught). I know very few 21-year-olds who can handle the responsibility of drinking (which is, quite obviously, an adult ability)- those who can usually don't go get wasted every weekend.

I'm gonna sound a lot like my mother with my closing statement, but here it goes...

"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

ďDon't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

Last edited by TakeTheLeap; October 12th 2010 at 05:16 AM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 05:36 AM

Around 18 at the youngest (on average, I guess some people can be younger maybe?) and the oldest well that depends on the person.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 10:19 AM

I believe that everyone matures at different rates and so there isn't a set year or age that someone will become an adult, unless you mean legally in which case it would be at 18 in England. As you've said mentally though, I think most people mature due to their own circumstances. I feel that I became an adult this year, when quite a big situation occured that was beyond my control and I had to deal with it and help my family through it. My family actually said that they saw a transformation in my maturity overnight. I think sometimes something has to happen to kickstart you into a different frame of mind or a different mentality.

Last edited by Prozac; October 12th 2010 at 10:47 AM.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Boobies Offline
FŁhrer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 11:44 AM

In the UK legally 18, though it depends what as you define as an adult? Someone mature and old enough to look after and support themselves? Some people don't reach that stage until late 30's

(#11 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Live Help Operator

Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 11:55 AM

It just depends on the person. Some people might feel as though they are an adult at 18, but for some people it older.

For me, I'm 19 and I don't do much with my time so I don't feel very adultish, but technically I am one.

Live Help Operator
Forum Moderator - Sex and Puberty ~ Relationships and Dating

(#12 (permalink)) Old
DarkSeph Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Liam

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 02:22 PM

Depends on the definition of "adult".

If you don't rely on others for things you could easily do yourself, you're willing to learn from mistakes and improve your flaws, you don't do reckless things like gambling and doing drugs for no reason, you can keep your head in difficult situations and think logically and you can treat others with respect, then you're an adult.

There are a lot of misconceptions about being an adult, like having to have a well paid job, never relying on others ever, being extremely serious and "mature", only engaging in "grown-up" activities and hobbies, being able to drive, enjoying alcohol and so on.

In some ways I've never really grown up. I love fun stuff. Theme parks, games, cartoons, trading cards, exploring places for fun, adventures w/e. I will probably never change in that regard. Life is too short not to have fun.

Currently inactive...
  Send a message via MSN to DarkSeph  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Deadpool Offline
Chat Mentor

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 02:29 PM

Legally, it's 18 where I am.

Maturity wise? I'd say it depends on the person. I know people my age who act like they're 40 but I know friends of my parents who act like they're my age.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Simplyme7 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 12th 2010, 02:43 PM

I think that a person becomes an adult when they are out on their own, and providing for themselves. It also depends though. I know people who still live with their parents that are definitely adults. They have jobs, and they are in college, but they simply do not have the financial means to move out yet. They do however, help their parents pay rent and buy food every month.

I think that basically its more of a state of mind. When you can start making wise decisions, based on knowledge, then maybe you are an adult?

I'd like to think that I'm an adult, because I'm away at college and do not rely on anyone but myself. But I'm not a hundred percent sure that I actually am...

(Sorry if this post is kind of confusing. I just woke up.)

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 14th 2010, 08:08 PM

For me I base it off what the law says. If by eighteen you can not accept the results of your actions then you need to grow up. I behave like an adult sometimes and I am nineteen; however, I still act like kid a LOT. HOWEVER, I am old enough to accept the results of my choices. For example, as a seventeen year old junior I chose to put a club above doing well on my college enteance exam. What happened was because I did that I am on probation at college. I am old accept that. I am old enough to accept when you do not read your whole assignment you may make a bad grade. You do not act like a witch when things do not go your way. You accept responsablity for your actions good or bad and the punishments with that then you can be adult.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Princess Luna

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 14th 2010, 08:22 PM

In UK it's considered 18. I'm 19 and I don't think I'm an "Adult" :/ There was this girl on another forum I used to be a member of who was 19 and thought she was amazing and always used to talk down to members -18 (I was 17 at the time so it included me). I just couldn't help but think she was a LOT less mature than some of the younger members :/ I don't think age means anything.

Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: What age do you become an adult? - October 14th 2010, 11:25 PM

I don't see myself as an adult and I'm 19. I still can't drink or gamble.

Closed Thread