TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

General For questions or discussions that do not fit elsewhere, post here. Please check all forum descriptions before posting here to be sure there is not a better location for your thread.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Question How to Make Money Under 16 - May 1st 2011, 04:18 PM

Wasn't sure where to put it or if I could even put this on here so feel free to delete/move this!

I'm 14 and I really need some money so I don't have to rely on other people to pay for things. I'm really into drumming and would like to make enough to pay for 2 lessons a month meaning I need about £30 a month.

I can't do babysitting, lawn mowing, lemonade stalls or stuff like that because I don't know people who would actually pay. I was wandering if people knew of any jobs I could get which gave me a proper wage? Or something that I could do reguarly without knowing people - because I don't and neither does my mum... If there is a job, what would I be doing?

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Like a fairy ;)
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 1st 2011, 04:31 PM

I think that fourteen is old enough to have a paper round. They don't pay much but it's a start. Perhaps you could ask a local paper shop if they have any positions going?

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 1st 2011, 04:44 PM

Paper routes pay quite a bit actually. Especially if you can link two routes. I saw an ad that says delivering 100 papers would give you $500 dollars cash per month.
I haven't the foggiest how to convert that to pounds though.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Like a fairy ;)
Outside, huh?

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 1st 2011, 04:51 PM

Haha so it's just mine that doesn't. xD
Well then I'd say go try for a paper round, and hopefully you can get one at a better place than I did.

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
I'm full of sugar and spice.
I've been here a while

Name: Char

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 1st 2011, 04:52 PM

I had a paper round. It payed my £3ish a week for 176 papers. It was crap pay and a lot of hard work as well as time consuming.
They give you leaflets aswell as the papers so on average I was getting about £6.50 a week.

You could always go around the highstreet near you, asking small shops whether they were hiring.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Like a fairy ;)
Outside, huh?

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 1st 2011, 04:54 PM

Mine is £3 a week as well. But the more work you put in, the more money you get.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
JustDanielle Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Danielle

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 1st 2011, 04:57 PM

My friend worked at the chip-shop you take the leaflets and you put them threw people's doors. (:

(#8 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 2nd 2011, 05:33 PM

I reckon in Europe paper delivers don't get paid as much then. I would say it's because Americans/Canadians are lazy, therefore no one wants the job meaning it pays more as a better incentive.

- Justin

Technologic

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Like a fairy ;)
Outside, huh?

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 2nd 2011, 05:38 PM

Yeah, in Britain every kid wants a paper round.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Deadpool Offline
Yip yip

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 2nd 2011, 05:40 PM

I used to work as a glass collector at a pub. The landlord was a family friend though.
You're old enough to get a paper though like everyone else has said and you could always take your old books/CDs/DVDs to second hand shops that pay for them.

Not where you're from but if you have a Cex shop near you then they pay for old CDs/DVDs and old mobile phones so you could make a little bit of money doing that

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Like a fairy ;)
Outside, huh?

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 2nd 2011, 05:41 PM

Do you play a musical instrument? If you're good at it, and can find somewhere legal to play, you can earn quite a lot from busking. I don't know, do people do that in the states? Some places you need to get a permit for it.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 2nd 2011, 06:11 PM

not all paper rounds pay badly; mines 130 papers at about £5-£8 a week, which includes normally between 3 and 7 leaflets per paper, and my friend does 170 papers at £7 a week plus extra when there's leaflets

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#13 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 2nd 2011, 06:24 PM

You could try babysitting if you know anyone that needs a babysitter or you could put an advert up

Believe
You can do anything you want to
:-)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 4th 2011, 09:45 AM

Other than baby-sitting, you may be able to work in a restaurant in the back probably as a dishwasher. It's not a mentally stressful job but in larger places, there's a team of dishwashers so they can train you a bit. In smaller places, other cooks and the chef train you on the spot. It can be hard but it also can be an interesting job. I worked as a dishwasher at a few restaurants and all of them give free snacks and at least 1 free drink. At one place, the chef would make a "scoobie snack" for me saying it was a small bite when it was damn near a plateful lol. He did it for all the kitchen staff as well including himself.

This could also include pubs and bars but at 14, I doubt you'd get beyond a dishwasher. It's usually minimum wage although depending if the restaurant has a tip jar, you'd get a portion of the tip. It can be long hours so you can make nice money pretty fast.

If you work at a fast-food place, you may be able to make quick money.

You could also try working in a supermarket, probably as a cashier and doing some cleaning and possibly a clerk. This could also apply for smaller stores. This isn't limited to simply food because clothing stores, especially those selling teenager (girl) clothing want staff at that age so the teenager customers feel comfortable talking with someone at their age. Such stores don't want 40 year old staff because they won't wear the clothing and aren't up-to-date on the fashion.

Someone suggested selling some of your items. I would be very careful because people will see you, a 14 year old kid who wants cheap money to get some item in the future. Most 14 year old kids don't have good bartering skills because they haven't got much practice. Some stores may be unwilling to buy from you because the teenager may be selling something their parents don't want to be sold. They may want you to be accompanied by an adult. I say this because I tried this, got several hundred dollars but my parents didn't want me to sell some of the stuff so I got in tons of shit and was lucky the staff were very willing to return all the stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionLover
If you're good at it, and can find somewhere legal to play, you can earn quite a lot from busking. I don't know, do people do that in the states? Some places you need to get a permit for it.
Most who do this have bands and perform in "underground" gigs. They rarely, if ever, perform on the street because they usually aren't good enough for passer-byes to like the music. These passer-byes aren't going to be of the same age, so they may not have the same taste in music so you'd have to play something they would like even if you don't. It's finicky because if it's too loud and people dislike it, the police will charge you for disturbing the peace/breach of the peace, even if you have a permit. It's also difficult because you want to play where there are many people but it can be hard to set up all the gear, ensure nobody trips over a cable and you cannot be in a place that prevents people from using the side-walks and street in such a way that endangers them.

Lots of planning needs to be done, which is why 14 year olds don't do it.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#15 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 4th 2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post

Most who do this have bands and perform in "underground" gigs. They rarely, if ever, perform on the street because they usually aren't good enough for passer-byes to like the music. These passer-byes aren't going to be of the same age, so they may not have the same taste in music so you'd have to play something they would like even if you don't. It's finicky because if it's too loud and people dislike it, the police will charge you for disturbing the peace/breach of the peace, even if you have a permit. It's also difficult because you want to play where there are many people but it can be hard to set up all the gear, ensure nobody trips over a cable and you cannot be in a place that prevents people from using the side-walks and street in such a way that endangers them.

Lol, no offense but seriously? You make out busking is really hard. If your musically talented it's actually really easy. And if your not then obviously you aren't interested in busking or will soon find out that you suck at it. Me and my friends actually make alot of money out of busking.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 4th 2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Other than baby-sitting, you may be able to work in a restaurant in the back probably as a dishwasher. It's not a mentally stressful job but in larger places, there's a team of dishwashers so they can train you a bit. In smaller places, other cooks and the chef train you on the spot. It can be hard but it also can be an interesting job. I worked as a dishwasher at a few restaurants and all of them give free snacks and at least 1 free drink. At one place, the chef would make a "scoobie snack" for me saying it was a small bite when it was damn near a plateful lol. He did it for all the kitchen staff as well including himself.

This could also include pubs and bars but at 14, I doubt you'd get beyond a dishwasher. It's usually minimum wage although depending if the restaurant has a tip jar, you'd get a portion of the tip. It can be long hours so you can make nice money pretty fast.

If you work at a fast-food place, you may be able to make quick money.

You could also try working in a supermarket, probably as a cashier and doing some cleaning and possibly a clerk. This could also apply for smaller stores. This isn't limited to simply food because clothing stores, especially those selling teenager (girl) clothing want staff at that age so the teenager customers feel comfortable talking with someone at their age. Such stores don't want 40 year old staff because they won't wear the clothing and aren't up-to-date on the fashion.

Someone suggested selling some of your items. I would be very careful because people will see you, a 14 year old kid who wants cheap money to get some item in the future. Most 14 year old kids don't have good bartering skills because they haven't got much practice. Some stores may be unwilling to buy from you because the teenager may be selling something their parents don't want to be sold. They may want you to be accompanied by an adult. I say this because I tried this, got several hundred dollars but my parents didn't want me to sell some of the stuff so I got in tons of shit and was lucky the staff were very willing to return all the stuff.

I know of quite a few twelve year olds who make quite a bit from it.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Like a fairy ;)
Outside, huh?

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 4th 2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:

I'm sixteen, so only a couple of years older than the OP, and I earned about a tenner for only an hour or so of busking. I'm not very musically talented, not like some of the people doing it, which is why my profit wasn't amazing, but I have friends who are more musical, do a whole day just in the town centre (ours doesn't need a permit) and earn loads.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
EndureEmo Offline
because you are amazing anyway
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Eliza-Grace/Endure

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 5th 2011, 10:45 AM

maybe at a cafe, ;PP my friend works at a cafe and she gets paid a fare bit and she just turned 14, and she has to share her money with her family to pay for the car to get rego, and for her brothers and sister soccer rego forms, and she still has left over money for school and other things...
or maybe go busking in australia you nead a busking licence, but its not very expencive :333 , hope i helped

"Life isn't about how popular you are... What girl or boy you are dating or who you know. Life is about always being true to who you are or what you believe in. Never let anyone convince you that their way is better than your way. In the end all we have is our hearts... and our minds. This is the reason why we sing... this is the reason why we cry... this is why we live."

ANDY SIXX
  Send a message via MSN to EndureEmo  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
survivor16 Offline
Like a skyscraper. <3
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Shelby

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 5th 2011, 02:43 PM

Yeah, these suggestions are really good!

(#20 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 7th 2011, 09:43 PM

Try hooking up a job with a friend or their parents.
I mean if your friend's mom works in a restraunt, she could possibly get you a weekend or two of work, nothing permnant, but around the holidays it helps me get money for gifts.

- Justin

Technologic

(#21 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 7th 2011, 10:56 PM

i was gunna say a paper round or leafleting but the pay is really, really bad.
the best thing to do is think about whether you have any friends or family who could give you an 'un-official' job. or a friend of a friend, anyone you know. someone who doesn't know you won't hire you because of your age.. but if you have a family friend who has a business maybe you could help out, even if its something like clearing up or handing out leaflets.
also, babysitting.. you could definitely do that. get the word out, tell your neighbours and get your parents to tell their friends that you're available. you'd be surprised how much you can make from babysitting, people are often very generous!

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#22 (permalink)) Old
devgirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 8th 2011, 11:31 PM

If you have relatives who own a business, or if they have friends who own a business, maybe they can talk to them and ask if you could do some basic work for them

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: How to Make Money Under 16 - May 9th 2011, 03:07 AM

You can make money on ChaCha. They pay you for answering questions. (does this count as advertising) O.o

i know its not competition to TH though.

Closed Thread