TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Recovery Stories Recovery can be a long and difficult path, and we may forget to rejoice in our accomplishments. Share your recovery stories here, from self harm, to drug, or alcohol addictions, and anything else you are proud of.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

an almost celebration and a question - October 15th 2017, 10:01 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i probably shouldn't be getting this far ahead of myself, but it's better than the alternative.
february 9th 2016 was the last time i cut.
the urges have been getting stronger lately, and i had the dilemma of wanting to try out a new blade, and not knowing if i should try it now, before being clean for a year, or after being clean for a year. each of those would be extremely disappointing to me, and for some reason i told my friends that in february i'll be a year clean, so now they're all happy and looking forward to celebrating.
so that holds me accountable, and i'm starting to come to the conclusion that i will never try out that new blade.

it's helping a lot to put my focus on art. just now i was looking at google images for some inspiration to pop out at me, but i came across a few pictures glorifying self harm instead. seeing all the immaturity, ignorance and desperate cry for edginess behind posting those types of things, instead of triggering me, it just made me hate self harm even more.
even though things are getting really tough now, and i've been extremely tempted, i was able to identify my stress and the places it was coming from, and have started cutting bad things, behaviors, and people out of my life. a year ago, it would've taken me months of suffering through the stress to realize how unhealthy those things i cut out are for me. but i think therapy really helped my recognize harmful things in my life, right when they start becoming harmful. because of that, things are already starting to calm down more.

long story short, i think it's safe to say that i will still be clean from self harm by february of next year.
i know it's a few months away, but it'll help me to stay on track and not even think about that new blade, if i can look forward to something good coming out of it.

so i was wondering what types of things have been done to celebrate a milestone in being clean from any addiction really.
i know that some people have taken that day to spoil themselves and buy something they really wanted, or just take the day off from everything to relax.
but i want to do something that i can do with my friends, so i can tell them about it and they can continue to hold me accountable. because nobody wants to piss off their friends by ruining plans made 4 months ahead of time, right?
i might also do something smaller just for myself but i don't know. that could just be buying expensive coffee or something.

what types of things are good to do to celebrate a year free?

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: an almost celebration and a question - October 15th 2017, 10:29 PM

The first time I ever went into recovery, I ended up buying my cat at six months clean. It was a tad bit early but I had never gone longer than a few weeks without self harm so I decided to do something at six months. Also, my cat was going to be emotional support animal and my therapist had been encouraging me to get a pet of some kind for a while. Having my cat actually helped me avoid self harm because I knew, for me, that if I cut I would likely end up in the hospital for at least three days.

I did relapse after about two and a half years but I have been in recovery again for about 1 year and 2 months and for my year anniversary I ended up purchasing a Harry Potter Box set that I had been wanting for quite some time as well as a few other books that I had been wanting.

For me, celebrating with people has never been something I wanted to do so I always just bought myself something nice or, even something that could be used to help me cope with urges.

I think that if you want to celebrate with friend's, maybe you all could do something you really like? I am not 100% sure what that is though but you could definitely do something to pamper yourselves. If you like getting your hair or nails done you could do that, go out to a restaurant that you all really like, go watch a movie and go window shopping at stores (if the movie theater is near any shops), go to a concert, go to an art show (I know my town has an art show once a month).

There is definitely plenty of stuff you all could do it is just a matter of figuring out if it is something you all would truly enjoy.

Also, buying yourself a little something might be nice as well. I like buying a little something that I can remind myself and say "I got this when I was a year free of self harm." It might sound silly but it can be kind of nice to remember how far I have come. It might be nice for you as well.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread